SharpTheKItteh
LegitBoss

Should internet blockers be removed in public schools?

SharpTheKItteh

Pro

I believe that internet blockers should be removed from computers in schools. I, being a student, have found that having these blockers in place restricts students opportunities to learn and/or do research. These blockers block all types of forums as well as many big news sites. The reason I have a problem with these blockers is that fact that we will be assigned a project in which we need to find sources on the internet. So, say I am doing a report on the conflicts that where happening in Ukraine (Just a example). I go and look around the internet for one or two new articles about the events. I end up getting stuck with a biased article that is not from a credible news source BECAUSE the good news sources are blocked.
LegitBoss

Con

I do agree with you on the fact that major news sites such as ABC, NBC, CNN etc. should not be blocked, the internet blockers used by schools are very much needed and I will tell you why.

So lets say your in a computer class and are given an assignment but are in a lab station in which a teacher cant see what your on. The internet blockers prevent you from playing games while your suppose too be working.

Also the internet blockers stop you from going on any inappropriate sites where you may see explicit content and any social media sites which distract you from school work. All in all I agree that the school shouldnt go as far as blocking news sites but shouldnt get rid of internet blockers all together.
SharpTheKItteh

Pro

Students spend 7 out of the say 15 hours you are awake at school, and maybe only 30 minutes of those 7 hours will be used in the computer lab. Do you think a student would risk getting in trouble or failing a assignment to play games for 30 minutes when they have more time to do that at home and without risking their grades? I believe teachers get this idea that students can't be trusted left alone and just stick with it without any facts supporting it.

When it comes to going onto inappropriate sites, and lets be honest here, if they are going on sites that have inappropriate content they have more likely then not already seen it. I mean they are kids, what's so wrong with them seeing two people having sex, like it isn't something people do.
LegitBoss

Con

First off I would like to address your second paragraph, you state " if they are going on sites that have inappropriate content they have more likely then not already seen it." But even if they have they cannot show it in public because it may be fine for you but the people around you or people that pass your computer can be disturbed by this immature content and depending on the age of the person may say "Oh thats interesting I wanna do that." And kids shouldnt be thinking about sex or anything inappropriate like that while in school they should just focus on school work. Also what is wrong with kids seeing sex in school is maybe the parents of the child dont want their kid to watch sex while in school... I had more but ran out of letters.
SharpTheKItteh

Pro

SharpTheKItteh forfeited this round.
LegitBoss

Con

Since no argument was posted for my opponent I will forfeit this round.