SalvatorePaterson
Youraverageunicorn

Should it be acceptable for non-black Americans to say nigger/nigga?

SalvatorePaterson has forfeited round #2.

SalvatorePaterson

Pro

All the time I hear that it is socially unacceptable for nigga or nigger to be said by white person. There are several problems with this:

1. It's a violation of free speech: As long as you aren't calling someone it or using it in a insensitive or racist way that could be considered a hate crime, it should be protected under the 1st Amendment.
2. White-shaming: Although I feel for the victims of hate-crimes, racism in the United States is on a down-turn. I shouldn't be disallowed from saying things, because some racist white Southerners in the United States in the 1800-1900's (of whom I am unrelated to) did horrible things.
3. It creates problems: Who decides when it is appropriate and inappropriate to say it? When I am singing along to a rap song it inevitably comes up, am I allowed to say it then? Are only white people not allowed to say it? What about other minorities like Asians, Hispanics, etc.?
4. It's racist: If you are giving one race privilege over another in any way, that is racist. Not allowing just white people from saying the n-word is just blatantly wrong. If we decide the word is socially unacceptable, then ALL people should stop saying it. That means no more rap songs that drop the n-word every other line.

Yes the word has a very bad history and context in the United States, but if we as a society determine it is a "bad word" then we should all stop saying it, not just one targeted race and group of people. All white people should not be affected by a group of racist White southerners from the 1800's.
Youraverageunicorn

Con

I want to say first off, you said it all.

It has a bad history of white people using it offensively but in no way does that mean it's acceptable in the status quo

When you said that's violating freedom of speech, you obviously have no idea what the first amendment is about. It's not about what word you can say, it's about expressing your opinion. Just like you wouldn't call someone who is not mentally retarded a retard.

When you were talking about white shaming, I looked at your beliefs. You're a Trump supporter and since Trump's presidency he has actually increased the number in hate crimes, proving that what Trump represents is hate for races and other things. Also, you're caucasian so you cannot make the decision on whether or not it's okay. I can ask anyone who has dark skin and they would say it's not okay. I actually asked my friend Brandon who has dark skin and he says it's not okay. You cannot just go around using that word if it refers to someone who's not okay with it.
"some racist white Southerners in the United States in the 1800-1900's (of whom I am unrelated to) did horrible things."
First of all people still use that word and it wasn't just southerners. You're a bit stereotypical, aren't you? Plus, Even though you don't agree with this, you're not a fan of Barack Obama but a fan of Trump, you're pro border fence AND you're pro capitalism, which is a racist system.

When you're talking about it creates problems, yeah, it does. Just because you can't sing one little word in a rap song, does that mean it's the end of the world??? You can't make decisions for people and assume you should be allowed to say it if the people that it refers to don't agree with it. It's unfair.

Are you actually considering that it's racist? Are you thinking that: oh! It's now black supremacy because us whites cannot say racist words but blacks can! boo hoo boo hoo. After all they've gone through? Please. The N word means something different for them. It's like, you can make a joke about who you are but if someone else does it, it's not cool. I make jokes about my religion sometimes but that's because I'm mocking the stereotypes. That's why it means something different for someone else. You wouldn't go up to a jew and say: you have a big nose. Unless you're a jew then it's different.

Again, people for some reason still say it to this day to be racist. It wasn't some southerners from the 1800's!!! How recent are your text books? We still have problems with racism to this day, partly because of our president, and if you say that word, people may take it the wrong way. It is considered not so much a bad word as it is offensive. So if you think you as a privileged white male can make this decision on whether or not you should be able to say the n word, then you have no idea what you're getting into.
Posted by Youraverageunicorn 4 months ago
Youraverageunicorn
First off, I am not being biased. I am just saying in no world would a colored person write that article. Second, People are from all over, I know that. but Trump obviously doesn"t care about that. I never said he spread white supremacists ideas but he has been racist in the the past. If you hear about Trump getting on his feet, he"s only doing it for the people and not what he actually agrees with. Even though Donald Trump may have not said anything about white supremacists, he has shamed other races because he thinks he can. He attended a white supremacists rally and failed to address racist comments made, and white supremacy comments. I honestly doubt the hate crimes are not related to Trump. Trump has open and repeatedly ask for the black communities vote, and what does that leave them with? A stupid plan to decrease violence in black neighborhoods that he hasn"t taken any action whatsoever for. Trump is all say not do. In fact, my Brazilian housekeeper voted for Trump because she said she came here legally and she wants others to too, But she told me she changed her mind and was embarrassed she ever liked Trump.
Posted by DawnBringerRiven 4 months ago
DawnBringerRiven
Unicorn.... You judge an article on a case by case basis. Their other articles are completely unrelated. When I said be skeptical, I didn't mean be completely dismissive of everything that has a shred of bad credibility. No argument or belief is perfectly sound without flaw. Also you should never judge someone by their race, as you said he is white so you implied that he is biased, which may not be the case. I'd like to point out that Donald Trump is not truly white. He is descended from Scottish and German immigrants. If you are looking for information regarding Donald Trump, use a different search engine than google. When searching political key terms, Google filters out certain results and only shows you pages that agree with their political stance. For example if you type in hate crimes google will primarily show you white on black hate crimes even if you search "anti-white crimes". Trump is if anything, a United States supremecist. He has been openly against illegal immigration and against immigration from other countries. But I have not heard Trump specifically saying that the white race is superior. If you can provide specific instances where Trump undoubtedly and directly stated that the white race is ultimately superior to others then I will change this belief. Trump has not spread white supremacist ideas, only ideas against immigration. Also the rise in hate crimes may be unrelated to Trump, or ignited by people's hatred against Trump and the government. We do not know the exact cause.
Youraverageunicorn
First of all, this is actually NOT a debate,

second off, Your evidence is from 2015. Since Trump's presidency, hate crimes have increased by a lot but not because of anti-white, , so the fact that your evidence isn't recent should matter. Plus, around that time like in 2015 and 2014, there were a lot of hate crimes around that time like the Ferguson shooting and Tamir Rice, and much more.

The person who wrote your article is, of course, white and I looked Daniel Greenfield up and here is what I found on his articles:

http://www.politifact.com...

Basically meaning that his articles suck and are not true.

Also relating to your evidence [even if it were true in some alternate universe],
Trump has built a new ground and everyone on board with his ideas are white supremacists which means the hate crimes THESE DAYS are acts of racism or other things. I trust CNN unlike people like you and Trump who say they only trust Fox. Trump trusts Fox? no wonder! look at the man! He's a mess.
Since Trump's election, hate crimes have risen 20 percent. Trump stands for something that's not okay.

https://www.nbcnews.com...
Posted by DawnBringerRiven 4 months ago
DawnBringerRiven
http://www.frontpagemag.com...
You can not just refuse to post evidence. This is a debate, we can not just take your word for it as you are obviously biased and bias equals illogical lines of thinking based on Shakey evidence. Seeing your one friend being followed by one police car does not relate to the entire country as a whole. You need to be able to properly research hate crimes from reliable sources and not just read off a wiki page for five minutes or listening to other completely biased news stations like CNN. Skepticism is an intellectual's best friend.
Youraverageunicorn
I don't care. If you're just going to assume that white people face more hardships than the black community, then your bonkers, and I consider that helpless. You say I have no evidence but neither do you.
Posted by DawnBringerRiven 4 months ago
DawnBringerRiven
I never said anything about people's assumptions. You still haven't given any proof to support your claims. Police brutality is done by all races including African Americans. I never said anything about the police force. Do try to stay on subject. Being afraid of a race is still racism. If you think a race of humans are savages out to kill you, that is racist.
Youraverageunicorn
Oh and here is why capitalism is racist:
just a quick little summary why capitalism is racist,
It's really all about race and class. Since things like slavery have happened, it's harder for people of color to get on their feet since generations haven't been able to pass down their best, and the system really is how much money you have. I would further my argument in a debate
Youraverageunicorn
I don't need to explain what form of racism I'm talking about, because that just proves it's a general notice. If you honestly think blacks are more racist towards white these days then you're psycho. Because a couple people walk past you in your life and they assume your racist??? that's bull! They would only assume that because some people are scared of the white community. Police brutality? ever heard of that? And a white supremacist said at a rally something along the lines of: white men made America. And that's how it should be. My friend keeps telling me how almost everyday after school he can't go to his house without being followed by the police! Face it. People in this country are prejudice.
Posted by DawnBringerRiven 4 months ago
DawnBringerRiven
You never specified what form of racism you were referring to. Of course I assumed you meant slavery. Racism today is no where near as prevalent as it was centuries ago. Most African Americans are not subjected to blatant racism. I believe African Americans are more Racist against whites than whites are to them at this point (very generally speaking). With black lives matter, white privilege and white shaming, the white race receives much more hate than the black race. I also highly disagree that African Americans have a severely harder time finding jobs. Please give proof to support this claim.
Posted by Shad0wXx 4 months ago
Shad0wXx
I'm simply curious. Is something stopping you from giving a short explanation of your opinion?