22keckhaylee
giangreg

Should it be illegal for a teacher to not let a student use the bathroom

22keckhaylee

Pro

Do u think that it should be illegal for a teacher to not let a student use the restroom? Well it should be because it could cause serious damage to their kidneys. They could ruin their pants and underwear. Put if they put me to the point that I had to pee my pants they would be buying me a new pair of pants. One time my friend asked the teacher to use the bathroom and the teacher said no! Then she waited for about another hour and asked again and the teacher said NO I JUST TOLD YOU NO. So Lexie walked out of the classroom and she went to the bathroom. When she got back she got yelled at and got a detention. Lexie told her grandma what happened and she called the school and told them that Lexie will not be serving this detention and they said oh yes she is and he grandma said no she wont and then she hung up and Lexie didn't serve the detention. But about a week later i asked to go to the bathroom and she said no then i asked about 2 more times and she still said no so i walked out but she didn't give me a detention. Then Lexie asked the next day and she said yes and that was that. I think that it should be illegal because if it takes a 6th grader to make a debate on using the bathroom then it must be really bad.
giangreg

Con

While I understand what your argument is saying, I ultimately don't think that a teacher should never be able to deny a student's request to use the restroom. It is true that holding it in for extended periods of time could cause some internal consequences as well as prevent the student from focusing on learning. That being said, it is ultimately the student's responsibility of ensuring that he/she has adequate time to use the restroom. If we are talking 6th graders, then I can see why it would be difficult to find time for the restroom in between classes. The best options would be before school starts or during lunch. However, if we are talking about slightly older students, there is a bit more breathing room in terms of free time between classes. Part of being treated like an adult is being able to manage your time wisely so that you aren't timing your bathroom trips for when you have to be somewhere on time. Of course, you can't always control when you go to the bathroom, and I'm not saying that a student should be penalized for that. For example, they could have an upset stomach or a virus that causes unexpected trips to the bathroom. I get that. However, there is usually that one student in every class that completely abuses their bathroom privileges. The one that almost never actually has to use the bathroom, but asks because he/she is bored or wants to be deliberately annoying. With both of these exceptions in mind, I think it should be up to the teacher's discretion as to who gets to use the bathroom. In most cases, students should be asking fairly infrequently, but there is no reason to deny them on the rare occasions of legitimate emergencies. However, if it is consistently the same person asking every single class, then I think the teacher reserves the right to limit their bathroom privileges because they are being disruptive. With all that in mind, I don't think that it should be a legal obligation for teachers to grant every bathroom request.
22keckhaylee

Pro

Well i get what your saying. Do you think that the teacher should be able to use the restroom 5 times in 1 hour when 1 student asks and she says no? We aren't allowed to go because we are to old supposedly to go to the bathroom during school. Some kids have problems with using the bathroom. But when a teacher used to let you use the restroom you kinda have you bladder on a schedule because that's when you are used to going to the bathroom. But when teachers have to go its alright because they are allowed to go but we aren't. So it should be illegal in some ways don't you think??? Also they don't let all the kids go because they like to destroy property. Now that's the dumb part. Some kids like to goof off in the bathroom. But they shouldn't punish the kids who don't do bad things in the bathroom should they??? The good kids should be able to go whenever they want to. We have 3 mins to go to the bathroom at 10:00 A.M. then we don't get to go any other time of the day. Now if you think that its dumb if they are older then your acting childish. Just because im in 6th grade doesnt mean that i cant put up a good fight.
giangreg

Con

No, the teachers should not be using the bathroom that many times in an hour unless they have a legitimate medical condition, which is very possible for women have bore multiple children. I am wondering if the teacher you are talking about is actually going 5 times in one hour or if you are exaggerating. My stance is still the same as before. It shouldn't be illegal for a teacher to deny a bathroom request. Of course if you build up a reputation with the teacher as relatively well-behaved and studious, I don't see why she shouldn't let you use the bathroom. The kids that goof off definitely should be the punished ones, but it's not that easy for teachers to figure out which ones goof off in the bathroom. The best way is assuming that whoever asks to go every day at the same time like clockwork has an ulterior motive. The teacher has a class to teach. Your bathroom needs are her secondary priority. Learn to adjust to the schedule instead of expecting the teacher to adjust to every single student's different bathroom schedules. It shouldn't be illegal to deny bathroom requests because ultimately there are people who abuse those privileges. Even if people are not abusing them and just need to go to the bathroom every day at the same time, then that's their problem.
22keckhaylee

Pro

22keckhaylee forfeited this round.
giangreg

Con

giangreg forfeited this round.
22keckhaylee

Pro

22keckhaylee forfeited this round.
giangreg

Con

giangreg forfeited this round.