Hanky18
wolfman4711

Should it be illegal to kill snakes?

Hanky18

Pro

Let the type of snakes be ranged from any posionous snakes - to family pets/garden snakes.
1)Snakes dont attack people unless they are in defence, if you provoke a snake to be hostile, then its their act to protect themselves against you. Just like if a person attacked you, than its an act of defence to protect yourself from harm. Snakes are already endangered creatures, there are many endangered animals already, killing snakes is harmful to the enviorment.
It should be illegal to kill snakes or even harm or provoke them.
wolfman4711

Con

My opponent makes a broad statement by stating "killing snakes should be illigeal" but I don't think I'll need to make much emphasis in my argument(s). There are a TON of types of snakes and only a few are endangered. Snakes make great meals in some countries such as Japan and china. ( what country is not specicifised, so I'm guessing in the world..) in the Everglades there is an outbreak of Burmese pythons and they hurt the environment, if we weren't able to kill them nothing would considering they have no predators in the area. So they would completely destroy the national park and kill all the endangered species in the protected area. My. Opponent really needs to make a less broad, and more specific statement, because right now it's an completely outrageous idea. Vote con
Hanky18

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for debating this topic with me.
I'm sorry I was broad in my argument, I wrote in the comments that I meant the US but I should've clarified it in my final argument. Considering that it is at my own fault I didn't clarify that it should be illegal to kill snakes in the US, I would like to continue with the whole world argument as my opponent did.
Many animals hurt the environment, we as humans also hurt the environment. But snakes are nature, as of humans. I understand that they could destroy the national parks, but humans can tear up and destroy many things as well. But we don't go about killing them because of it. If the snakes were causing harm in the national parks, than they should be caught and kept in some sorts of zoos or places where we could find uses for them while alive. I understand there are a lot of snakes, but it is not completely impossible. I think killing the snakes, isn't the right way to go, we have many endangered animals, adding one more to the list isn't going to do us any good.
wolfman4711

Con

My opponent says snakes are of nature and should not be tampered with but there are quite a few problemsrol and we sim with that... 1. In nature animals are consumed by other animals, why can't we eat snake? Not all snakes are endangered, and they make up a large diet for some people.. The Burmesse pythons (in the evreglades) population is from pet owners letting go off the pets so there habitat is artificial not natural... My opponent says the hey should be sent to parks and zoos... The population of snakes is out of control we simply don't have enough space, time or the budget to move all theses snakes.. My opponent says that eating snakes could add to the endangered list. Couldn't that go for any animal? What's next meat is outlawed? Snakes are not as important as humans (I hope we can agree on that) they are a problem in some parts of the world and a great food source in others, there is no reason to outlaw all snakes death..
Hanky18

Pro

Hanky18 forfeited this round.
wolfman4711

Con

Extend all arguments
Hanky18

Pro

Hanky18 forfeited this round.
wolfman4711

Con

Extend arguments vote con
Posted by proglib 3 years ago
proglib
Great debate topic!

As a former snake-o-phobe, now snake-o-phile, I would say snakes are much more misunderstood than most animals. People won't kill a deer just because it's a deer and some deer have rabies. The will avoid the deer if they are frightened, and in general go on their own way.

Unfortunately, people will go out of their way to try to kill a snake that not only poses no harm to anything larger than a mouse, but actually benefits ALL of us because it does kill those mice.

I'm not talking about poisonous snakes. Sorry, I don't go all the way there with you. People sometimes have a very good reason to kill poisonous snakes. It isn't always an option to remove them from the human environment. And yes, I agree we humans have encroached on the natural environment of FAR TOO MANY species. However, life is not fair, and any creature will do what it can to protect its home, including me.

If people who live where there are clearly delineated poisonous and non-poisonous snakes, like where I live in CA, then they are IDIOTS to kill a non-poisonous one just because they're afraid of snakes in general. IMHO, obviously.

Cheers.

[I gave the thumbs up to this debate.]
Posted by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
This is either a hypocritical stance, or needs to be expanded. The reasons listed are reasons for more animals than just snakes...
Posted by Pyromanen 3 years ago
Pyromanen
Is this being posed as a global snakes' rights law, or only in a certain country (I'll guess the USA)? If anyone plans to use statistics, these limitations would be useful.