SalvatorePaterson
BerserkingSquirrel

Should it be socially acceptable for a non-black person to say the n-word?

BerserkingSquirrel has forfeited round #1.

SalvatorePaterson

Pro

All the time I hear that it is socially unacceptable for the n-word to be said by white person. There are several problems with this:

1. It's a violation of free speech: As long as you aren't calling someone it or using it in a insensitive or racist way that could be considered a hate crime, it should be protected under the 1st Amendment.
2. White-shaming: Although I feel for the victims of hate-crimes, racism in the United States is on a down-turn. I shouldn't be disallowed from saying things, because some racist white Southerners in the United States in the 1800-1900's (of whom I am unrelated to) did horrible things.
3. It creates problems: Who decides when it is appropriate and inappropriate to say it? When I am singing along to a rap song it inevitably comes up, am I allowed to say it then? Are only white people not allowed to say it? What about other minorities like Asians, Hispanics, etc.?
4. It's racist: If you are giving one race privilege over another in any way, that is racist. Not allowing just white people from saying the n-word is just blatantly wrong. If we decide the word is socially unacceptable, then ALL people should stop saying it. That means no more rap songs that drop the n-word every other line.

Yes the word has a very bad history and context in the United States, but if we as a society determine it is a "bad word" then we should all stop saying it, not just one targeted race and group of people. All white people should not be affected by a group of racist White southerners from the 1800's.
Posted by SalvatorePaterson 8 months ago
SalvatorePaterson
I'm referring to both uses: nigger and nigga. Either everyone should be able to say both, or no one should say it at all.
Posted by edrimolt 8 months ago
edrimolt
I agree that it is fine to say any word that you want, just not saying it is o.k because some people do not want to offend very sensitive people. Me on the other hand am fine with saying it, but that is just my opinion very good topic however!
Posted by sboss18 8 months ago
sboss18
The fact you call it "the n-word" demonstrates that you're uncomfortable saying it in a social setting. Also, are you referring to "nigga" or "nigger"?