kingadeel
Cassie412

Should junk food be banned from public schools?

Cassie412

kingadeel

Pro

should it be banned? or no? why?
Cassie412

Con

Even though obesity is a rapidly growing problem in the world, it is not the job of a government-funded and operated institution to dictate what its students can and cannot eat. Parents, as well as students themselves, to an extent, must make their own decisions regarding kids' intake of junk food. Moreover, depending on whether the question "should junk food be banned from public schools" means a ban on junk food being served in school lunches or a ban on it being brought from home, this issue is either about whether junk food should be tolerated at school at all or whether it should not be made overly available within school grounds. I respect schools trying to provide healthier eating options for students, but the individual dietary needs of each child can only be decided by a parent and/or physician. "Junk food" is, arguably, delicious, and harmless in controlled quantities, and thus poses no threat if eaten in moderation. Public schools, in short, have neither the authority nor the justification to ban junk food.
kingadeel

Pro

kingadeel forfeited this round.
Cassie412

Con

Since I didn't know the first round was for acceptance only, I will accept here and ask viewers to please view this post as Round One. I will argue against the banning of junk food from public schools.
kingadeel

Pro

kingadeel forfeited this round.
Cassie412

Con

Do two forfeits in a row count as an automatic loss? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
kingadeel

Pro

People can make there own choices and other people should not tell them what to eat and what not to eat.
Cassie412

Con

That's what I'm saying. I am against banning junk food. I believe people should make their own decisions, and schools should not interfere with what students choose to eat. Schools should educate students regarding health rather than dictate their dietary restrictions. I am against the ban.
kingadeel

Pro

kingadeel forfeited this round.
Cassie412

Con

My concluding remark is that it is not the job of a school to restrict what its students eat. Junk food should not necessarily be served as a school lunch item, but also should not be banned.
Posted by DuhTruth 2 years ago
DuhTruth
Not BANNED, just not sold. If kids want junkfood by all meens go buy it at the store and take it to school but it is a good idea for the school to sell heathy choices. It's like subway; you can take a McChicken into Subway but you can't buy one there.
Posted by DonRCavalier 2 years ago
DonRCavalier
I'm not part of the debate, but actually schools have just as much of a social duty to provide healthy food to kids as they do in maintaining a safe environment and provide a quality education. Are we saying that burden is on the children and parents to decide whether or not to eat junk food or to go hungry? And if it's up to the parents and children to decide whether or not to eat non-nutritious food, they can we also say it's OK for the parents and children to decide what subjects they learn? How much homework they receive? School hours? Obviously the answer is no. So why is the food they put in their bodies any different? Why wouldn't a school that is responsible for educating and protecting our children not extend that responsibility to the food they put in their bodies? What's the issue with that? Cost? Really? It's a confusing distinction.
Posted by The_Immortal_Emris 2 years ago
The_Immortal_Emris
What if the parents failed to teach the child that McDonalds is not healthy? Then the child ends up obese, and with diabetes, because of ignorance and the refusal to educate kids about healthy eating because THE GUVMENT BAD.
Vote Placed by ldow2000 2 years ago
ldow2000
kingadeelCassie412Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture, and pro seem confused on his position....
Vote Placed by Vexorator 2 years ago
Vexorator
kingadeelCassie412Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm still not sure which side Pro was actually on, but I vote Con because of forfeiture.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
kingadeelCassie412Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture