debategirl111
Danielle

•Should juveniles be tried as adults?

Danielle
Started: 1/28/2011 Category: Economics

debategirl111

Con

no they should not they are still kids they self it will have to depend on what they did
Danielle

Pro

I'd like to begin by pointing out that even though I am Pro, my opponent is the instigator of a debate making a non-agnostic assertion, thus she has the burden of proof [1]. So far she has failed to present any argument. Acknowledging that juveniles "are still kids" is not a contention in Pro's favor, because she is merely relaying the definition of juvenile. She is not providing a comprehensible defense of her position. As such, I'll begin my affirmation of the resolution with short and sweet contentions. I'd like to note that I am taking this debate merely as a devil's advocate opportunity, as I typically side with the Negative on this issue so this should be an interesting change of pace/perspective.

Also, I feel compelled to point out that my opponent writes whether or not a juvenile is tried as an adult should "depend on what they did." That would imply that in SOME cases, she feels it is appropriate for a juvenile to be tried as an adult. In that case, she concedes to the resolution and I have automatically won this debate. Nevertheless...

The criminal justice system serves two primary functions: protecting society and providing retribution (punishment) for a crime to achieve the value of justice or fairness. In regard to protecting society from offenders (violent or not), the judge can ensure an appropriate penalty without having to try someone as a "juvenile." I contend that everyone should be tried as "adults." It makes no sense to offer a legal distinction. Instead, the judge or jury can simply take the defendant's age into consideration whilst determining an appropriate penalty. The defendant's attorney can make a legitimate argument in their defense on the basis of their age and mental faculties. In fact this is preferable given age is not always the best indicator of maturity or accountability. This ensures each case is weighed subjectively not based on precedent, but on the individual basis and attention each case deserves.

I'll leave it at that for now and see what my opponent has to say. Back to you, Con. And thanks for the opportunity to debate. Good luck!

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
debategirl111

Con

The juvenile court is founded on false premises because its purpose is to shield youths from the consequences of their own actions the major crime they did like murder robber rape are crimes that they should be triads for adult but at the same time they are kids they probity was raise and a bad house hold and mother and father never there don't have no good influence its still not a good reason to do these crimes but look we are compare a an adult and a child . a child well probity do any thing he/she see a adult do adult know right and wrong I m not saying they shouldn't go to jail for they crimes but just take the time and thing about how you deal with the subject first let them know what they did was wrong and that they will have to suffer the sequences maybe handle a little defiant then when you handle it when its adult
Danielle

Pro

My opponent's last response essentially argued that juveniles should be given leeway in terms of sentencing given their age, upbringing, etc. Once again my system of trying everyone under the same standard - and attorneys using age, mental faculties, other psychological factors, etc. in a juvenile (or adult's) defense can easily rectify this and ensure that proper consideration is given to each individual case for the judge/jury to consider while sentencing. I explained that in the last round; this solution unfortunately went ignored by my opponent. An adult who had a bad upbringing could equally blame their environment and childhood for their crimes. It depends on each particular case as I pointed out.
debategirl111

Con

kids is kids doest matter how old a child is I m not saying since its a child that the sentence should be cut back I just saying you have to sit and think you are dealing with a under age child that did a crime yes need to be published yes but the way you publishes a child is a defiant story so you telling me that if a seven year old did a murdred you will sentence that child to lift or death sentence that child don't know what it did .but like a 14 year old can and should have time and jail but at the same time talk to ask why did it comity its crime why should a 15 year be in jail for 110 not just for murder theses are kids we are talking about not adult ... they don't know better still young and learning about the world I m not saying all kids and crime should not be tried for adult but at least talk to the child first .... what if that was your child what will you want to do?????
Danielle

Pro

Extend my arguments. Thank you.
Posted by SuperCapitalist 6 years ago
SuperCapitalist
Lack of sufficient argumentation on both sides. But due to better (yet still insufficient) contentions on the Pro, I affirm. Con needs to actually attack arguments. And work on her grammar. "kids is kids." Seriously, go back to 5th grade English. Pro, in last round you need to actually refute, not just extend. And in a real round, make sure you actually label extensions, not merely say "extend."
Posted by Protagoras 6 years ago
Protagoras
Conduct is subjective; let them whine. Just know that you have won the argument regardless of how it was presented. As such, you have won this debate before it even concluded. 'Grats.
Posted by Danielle 6 years ago
Danielle
Saying "She is not providing a comprehensible defense of her position" is not rude at all whatsoever. It's a fact. It's relaying the point that she hadn't provided any argument in favor of the resolution thus far, and given she was the instigator of this debate and the burden of proof is on her, then it wasn't impolite but in fact the responsible thing to do as a debater. People are expected to make arguments in R1 unless otherwise indicating they would start in R2. To not make an arguments but expect the opponent to make the first arguments (as you're suggesting) is also bad conduct. Perhaps tone is too hard to understand over the internet, and you're mistaking matter-of-factness for hostility. Oh well.
Posted by WillMurray 6 years ago
WillMurray
I think your response speaks to exactly why conduct points were taken away. You took an aggresive tone that I would find more appropriate in a different debate. You were polite.... at the very end of each statement much like your comment. You added the proper courtsies at the end of each statment but during your arguments you made pretty direct attacks against her. For example in round 1 you said "She is not providing a comprehensible defense of her position", this comment was silly because she only used the first round to present her view she clearly was not making any argument here yet you attacked like she was supposed to. While I am new to this website I usually assign conduct points based on who I thought had a better tone. I do not like it when debaters refer to their opponents directly, and you definitely have an aggressive tone when you debate and while that may be appropriate for other debtors especially the more sneaky ones such as kleptin, but since this was your opponents first debate on Debate.org I feel your tone was unnecessarily aggressive in this debate. I need to go to sleep.
Posted by Danielle 6 years ago
Danielle
I don't know why I lost 2 conduct points or why I'm being told to "chill." I was incredibly polite throughout this entire debate. I didn't say anything rude, and in fact went out of my way to say please and thank you. I was far more cordial than Pro and yet conduct points are being given to her? Lol, okay... sure. I don't really mind (truly) but when people are commenting about my conduct when I literally did nothing wrong, then yeah I'm gonna speak up about it.
Posted by WillMurray 6 years ago
WillMurray
Chill Lwerd, no need to get so aggressive in this kind of debate. Anyway pretty clear winner
Posted by debategirl111 6 years ago
debategirl111
clam down this is really me first debate and i m onlly 14 years old so i learning ok clam down
Posted by dinokiller 6 years ago
dinokiller
Ohh man, the horror of the fails.
Posted by Atheism 6 years ago
Atheism
I really want to choke Con for her horrid grammar. My eyes are bleeding.
Posted by bludaisy96 6 years ago
bludaisy96
i concure
Vote Placed by SuperCapitalist 6 years ago
SuperCapitalist
debategirl111DanielleTied
Vote Placed by Protagoras 6 years ago
Protagoras
debategirl111DanielleTied
Vote Placed by WillMurray 6 years ago
WillMurray
debategirl111DanielleTied
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
debategirl111DanielleTied