AngelicApple19
Atheism_Debater

Should kids 12-18 years old get piercings?

Atheism_Debater

AngelicApple19

Pro

It's the parents choice to let their children get pierced when they want them to. Some people say not until fourteen or fifteen that some children can get a piercing. Children from eleven to thirteen want a piercing and may never get it until they are sixteen or in their twenties.
Atheism_Debater

Con

Introduction:

I would like to start off by accepting this debate challenge. I look forward to the rest of this debate, and the results of it. My opponent did not specify the order of the debate. I will not be posting any rebuttals in this round, only arguments for that would give me an unfair advantage throughout the entire debate.

Argument:

A child 12-18 should not get a piercing for the risks involved:

-Infection: the pierced part of your body can become infected if the piercing is not clean which can be deadly to a child depending on what the infection is.

-Needles: the needle used in the piercing can infect the child with HIV, AIDS, hepatitis, or other deadly diseases.

-Diabetes: if the child has diabetes or their blood sugar levels are higher than they should be, their piercing may take longer to heal, which puts the child at risk of developing an infection.

-Scarring: the piercing may have scarring, which may lead to the formation of a keloid.

-If the child has diabetes, hemophilia, an auto-immune disorder, or certain heart conditions, and not know it, the piercing could be deadly.

-The piercing can also lead to nerve damage or deadly allergic reactions.

Another reason a child should be allowed to get piercings is because they are not responsible enough, giving them the ability to do something to their bodies that will stay with them for the rest of their lives. If we don’t already trust 12-18 year olds to drink alcohol, or even vote, why should we let them take on a bigger responsibility?

Conclusion:

I have stated my arguments for my position on this debate, I look forward to my opponent’s.

AngelicApple19

Pro

The needle for the piercing would be either cleaned in front of them or in a non opened package. The scarring my opponent said isn't true it doesn't scar as long as you twist it and clean it twice a day. I am a thirteen year old and I have a piercing but that doesn't mean that these twelve to eighteen year old people can't. My friend Evelyn had her nose pierced at twelve in sixth grade and now she has a lip,web,and cartilage piercings she takes care of. The only way the child could get infection is not cleaning it or twisting it to be able to change it when the time comes. This doesn't mean that every child should get one but if they want to they need to know what they have or what they are doing.
Atheism_Debater

Con

Rebuttal:

“The needle for the piercing would be either cleaned in front of them or in a non opened package.”

HIV and other blood diseases can still be transmitted even if the needle has been sterilized. Whenever equipment that has been shared between people, whether sterilized or not, can lead to diseases.

“The scarring my opponent said isn't true it doesn't scar as long as you twist it and clean it twice a day.”

Scarring still has been shown to occur whether you “twist” or not.

“I am a thirteen year old and I have a piercing but that doesn't mean that these twelve to eighteen year old people can't. My friend Evelyn had her nose pierced at twelve in sixth grade and now she has a lip,web,and cartilage piercings she takes care of.”

This is completely irrelevant to the debate. Please do not share your personal life in this debate, please stick to the topic, this has nothing to do with the debate and will be treated as such.

“The only way the child could get infection is not cleaning it or twisting it to be able to change it when the time comes.”

I don’t think my opponent understands what an infection is. An infection is when a virus or bacteria enters your body. Whenever you have an open wound on your body, you are very susceptible to an infection. Cleaning the wound helps the piercing not become infectious, but it certainly doesn’t make it impossible. Whether you “twist” it or not, a piercing is still susceptible to infection.

“This doesn't mean that every child should get one but if they want to they need to know what they have or what they are doing.”

Not sure what my opponent is suggesting here. Are you suggesting that people be better educated about piercing? If so, that is not relevant to the topic, we are debating whether piercings should be allowed, not if we should be educated about them.

Conclusion:

Literally every sentence my opponent has said was either incorrect, or irrelevant. I look forward to my opponent’s next response, and would like to wish my opponent the best of luck. Thank you!

AngelicApple19

Pro

AngelicApple19 forfeited this round.
Atheism_Debater

Con

My opponent has forfeited, my argument still stands.
AngelicApple19

Pro

AngelicApple19 forfeited this round.
Atheism_Debater

Con

Vote Con!
Posted by Atheism_Debater 2 years ago
Atheism_Debater
True, but you have to admit that it is a major decision
Posted by YoungLeader4216 2 years ago
YoungLeader4216
You are absolutley right about the fact that it stays there forever but I doubt a hole with the diameter of 1 millimeter is going to threaten your life. If it did, I'm sure less people would have peircings.
Posted by Atheism_Debater 2 years ago
Atheism_Debater
If you would have read my response you would have known how they can be dangerous. Piercing your skin to put jewelry in it, stays for a long time if not for life.
Posted by YoungLeader4216 2 years ago
YoungLeader4216
@Atheism_Debater

Getting a peircing isn't a life changind decision. Alchohol can be dangerous, earrings aren't.
Posted by Atheism_Debater 2 years ago
Atheism_Debater
YoungLeader,
" I see nothing wrong with getting a piercing as long as you are responsible with it."
You can say the same thing about alchahol, young people shouldn't be trusted with major life changing decisions.
Posted by YoungLeader4216 2 years ago
YoungLeader4216
I am 13 years old and have 3 piercings in each of my ears (two on the bottom and one in my cartilage). I see nothing wrong with getting a piercing as long as you are responsible with it. If you play a lot of contact sports and decide you want to get a facial piercing, it probably isn`t the best idea but, it`s their decision and if you can take care of it then I see nothing wrong with it.
Posted by AngelicApple19 2 years ago
AngelicApple19
Thank You sels for seeing my point it's not that like some of them are getting anything other than cartilage or a nose piercing.
Posted by AngelicApple19 2 years ago
AngelicApple19
Posted by sels 2 years ago
sels
Many, many people have piercings from a very young age and I think ear piercings for example could be done at from age 12. One of the reasons why I chose to get pierced (during this age range) was that, unlike tattoos, piercing can be temporary. If you really don't like it, or have problems with it, you can leave the piercing out and it will close over. However with other piercings such as a belly or dermal piercing then yes children shouldn't be allowed these as they carry more risks (and many places will not pierce U18s). Also if you have certain medical conditions then more care should be taken.
Vote Placed by Juris 2 years ago
Juris
AngelicApple19Atheism_DebaterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con clearly won this debate. He presented good arguments which are not sufficiently rebutted by Pro.
Vote Placed by Gabe1e 2 years ago
Gabe1e
AngelicApple19Atheism_DebaterTied