coolmikeb
quarterexchange

Should kids at age 16 be able to vote

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
Started: 6/2/2011 Category: Economics

coolmikeb

Pro

Lowering the voting age to 16 will give the vote to people who have roots in a community, have an appreciation for local issues, and will be more concerned about voting than those just two years older. Youth have comfortable surroundings, school, parents, and stable friends, they feel connected to their community; all factors that will increase their desire and need to vote. Lower the voting age, and youth will vote.
quarterexchange

Con

Thanks Pro for creating an interesting topic.

Seeing that my opponent has made his arguments I will as well.

Opening Arguments

16 year olds should not be able to vote due to the fact that the vast majority are in high school and have no even completed basic law, history and government classes.

This automatically makes them much more misinformed and unknowledgeable than the average voter about the way their country is run, what is and is not legal, etc.

For example, students in the U.S. who haven’t studied the U.S. constitution would not be reliable decision makers when it came to voting for or against a proposed law, proposition, policy, etc that may enforce constitutional law or violate constitutional law.

Furthermore 16 year olds are often busy with school, extracurricular activities, events at home, etc and are often much more involved in their social and school lives than they are in the subjects of social issues, foreign policy, and economic matters.

18 is a much more legitimate age to be able to vote.
  • At 18 you deemed mature enough by the government to become drafted into the armed forces [1]
  • At 18 you are deemed responsible enough to decide the outcomes of court cases [2]
  • You are most likely a graduate from highschool and completed basic social science and civics classes
  • You are no longer under your parents legal control and are able to work, provide, and take care of yourself as an adult

coolmikeb

Pro

Thanks for this amzing reply. I say that the reason that the younger people shold be to vote at a lower age is to help the physical problems of the United States problems. The president of todaY Is one of our best presidents yet. /he was not chosen by his looks, nor his wife of wealth. /he was chosen by his smartness. Obama has helped the Millitary (which consist of me) with killing Osama. Previously, our other presidents have been chosen for looks and their wives. Not tryikng to be consulting of our usa presidents, but to be honest, they ahev messed up our money system. Did you know that George Bush spent 11.5 trillion while he was in office??? I think that the ages of 16 would think into smartness. With them thinking about college, they wouldnt be thinking on the looks of these people. This is my report on voting age. Thanks for making this vote so intersing.

Resources:http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...
quarterexchange

Con

Thank you for your reply

Rebuttals

"I say that the reason that the younger people shold be to vote at a lower age is to help the physical problems of the United States problems"

You need to explain this. You can't make the vague statement that a younger voting age would help the physical problems of the U.S., and then go on and leave us with the ambiguity of what on earth you are talking about.

If your statement is valid then I can simply say, "The reason younger people should not vote is because it will hurt the United States and cause more problems", and leave it at that and click submit.

My opponent goes on to claim,

"The president of todaY Is one of our best presidents yet. /he was not chosen by his looks, nor his wife of wealth. /he was chosen by his smartness. Obama has helped the Millitary (which consist of me) with killing Osama. Previously, our other presidents have been chosen for looks and their wives. Not tryikng to be consulting of our usa presidents, but to be honest, they ahev messed up our money system. Did you know that George Bush spent 11.5 trillion while he was in office??"

All of this is utterly irrelevant and nonsensical in a debate over the voting age. This debate has nothing to do with President Obama, President Bush, etc.

As the Instigator and Pro you have the job of showing that 16 year olds are mentally and psychologically competent to vote.

"I think that the ages of 16 would think into smartness. With them thinking about college, they wouldnt be thinking on the looks of these people"

You have never effectively proven that presidents of the past were voted based on looks.

Arguments

My opponent has NOT ONCE, attacked by arguments regarding the mental abilities of teenagers being able to vote.

Again at 16, you cannot be on a jury, you cannot be drafted and serve in the military, you have not completed highschool, you have not completed basic civics, law, economics, and government courses, etc.

My opponent has NO RESPONSE to this. I'm assuming he read my arguments, and if he did, he would have read where I pointed out that 16 year olds are still in highschool, still taking government and law classes.

It is not important to my opponent that 16 year olds are too busy with school, getting an education, having a childhood social life, haven't completed basic law, government, and economics courses to know how the law, economy and government works. As long as they vote liberal.

That is why my opponent entire "rebuttal" consisted of how great Obama was and how bad past presidents have messed up the "money system" or economy. That's why he posted a nonsensical source claiming Bush SINGLEHANDEDLY, spent 11.5 Trillion dollars.

My opponent wants surefire liberal voters, not informed liberals/conservatives/libertarians who know how the economy and law work.

For this reason the voting age should not be lowered to 16 as long as the vast majority of 16 year olds have not completed basic law, government, and economic courses.

Vote Pro.

Posted by Man-is-good 5 years ago
Man-is-good
"This is my first debate and i think i did pretty good"
The voters do not agree, and neither do I.
Posted by medic0506 5 years ago
medic0506
The voting age should be raised, not lowered.
Posted by coolmikeb 5 years ago
coolmikeb
please vote for pro... This is my first debate and i think i did pretty good
Posted by quarterexchange 5 years ago
quarterexchange
whoops, I did say vote Pro. I always get that mixed up but I usually catch myself before I post
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 5 years ago
Man-is-good
coolmikebquarterexchangeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's case was full of irrelevant holes in information and reasoning. I suggest he consider the format and presentation of a debate, or otherwise his record will accrue into a series of consecutive losses.
Vote Placed by TheFreeThinker 5 years ago
TheFreeThinker
coolmikebquarterexchangeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro actually made the point that the voting age should not be raised better that con, by the virtue of posting a lot of nonsense
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
coolmikebquarterexchangeTied
Reasons for voting decision: That the US is screwed up is a better argument for raising the voting age rather than lowering it. Con wins decisively.
Vote Placed by medic0506 5 years ago
medic0506
coolmikebquarterexchangeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con proved the important argument of "educated voters", and pro was his best peice of evidence.
Vote Placed by Spartan 5 years ago
Spartan
coolmikebquarterexchangeTied
Reasons for voting decision: first- I'm 16, and i wouldn't trust half of my peers with a butter knife let alone a government. Pro needs to re read his arguments, but im throwing him the 1 point fo conduct only because con said to vote for pro. Other then that- con is the only one with sources.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 5 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
coolmikebquarterexchangeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Mike makes a lot of assertions without much warrant, but Con does not do more at times then just demand warrant and other points are dropped straight out such as younger voters would select more for intelligence. quarterexchange also had much more clear presentation. 3:2 Con.
Vote Placed by BlackVoid 5 years ago
BlackVoid
coolmikebquarterexchangeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Mostof con's arguments were dropped.
Vote Placed by SkepticsAskHere 5 years ago
SkepticsAskHere
coolmikebquarterexchangeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didn't attack a lot of Con's argument's, easy win other than that.
Vote Placed by s0m31john 5 years ago
s0m31john
coolmikebquarterexchangeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Obv.