PJAbel
frankienstien

Should kids be allowed on Facebook and other social networks?

PJAbel

Pro

This was a hard decision for me but yes I am for children ( at the least 14 years old ) to be allowed to be on social networks. What do you think?
frankienstien

Con

I don't feel children can grasp the concept that what they say on a social site might exist forever. They will go through stages and they might become totally different people. I hate Facebook because employers can judge you by your friends and their comments as well. Yet I hate to ignore people I know based on this, and I don't yet. If I need a new job some day a lot of friends and family will be unfriended.
PJAbel

Pro

Mr.Frankinstien children who are older can be on social networks to show that they are mature enough to be on the internet. Besides if they do not learn how to handle the internet now when will they?
frankienstien

Con

I don't see how your argument does much. It would only lead on to wonder if certain teens need protection or if you think children can act as adults. Now in the legal system we see both. We pass laws that claim ( for example) that a 14 year old can't get married. While children as young as 11 are tried as adults.
PJAbel

Pro

Adults do stupid stuff too but I believe that children who as I said 14 and older can be more responsible than a 25 year old man sometimes. I believe that children can be on Facebook with parents permission because if kids don't know how to take things serously they will not learn responsibility.
frankienstien

Con

I know people that drive drunk every day and don't have accidents. And while this might seem a little off topic, I'm trying to show the relevance in your argument that some 14 year olds can act as adults. I have no doubt there are a few that are responsible enough as children, but I could say the same for some drunk drivers. I think most children should avoid certain types of media, while many adults shouldn't drive drunk. Heck I my opinion many shouldn't be allowed to drive sober.
PJAbel

Pro

Your argument confuses me in a way but I see what your trying to say. But I have to ask you this have you known any children that you met in person that drank and drove. if not this is why children are more controlled learning that when mature enough
they will learn who and who not to talk to online. This possibly is the only time I say it's a good idea that the media show explote this to teach kids. By the way I do not get the last sentence you posted, Are you saying your not mature enough to drive.
frankienstien

Con

"I" should have been" in" in the last sentence. I see all to many driving while talking on their phones ect hoping to get from point a to point b hoping that nothing goes wrong while they turn their attention away from their driving responsibilities.
PJAbel

Pro

PJAbel forfeited this round.
frankienstien

Con

frankienstien forfeited this round.
Posted by dcjj143 3 years ago
dcjj143
I do not believe they should be allowed. We have three teenagers that are on social sites to varying degrees. Our 16yo is on them the most, and due to this he is unable to function in the company of real people face to face. He has become very awkward with speaking and has developed little desire to go outside. Our other two boys have no issues with these things. I see no other differences between their generation and my own. When I was their age the only social interaction we had was to play baseball, in a field, with other real kids; and that, I believe is what made us the people we are today. I think this generation and their only wishing to be on social media sites (many times talking with old pedophiles disguised as children, but we won't even get into that right now) is going to skew thing in this world ALOT...
Posted by seastar613 3 years ago
seastar613
Children should be allowed on social networking sites but when the are more responsible, trusted, and older.