GUMMYBEARS
sewook123

Should kids be allowed to carry hand held guns on school campus?

sewook123
Started: 2/27/2014 Category: Economics

GUMMYBEARS

Con

I think they should not be allowed because it is the teachers job to protect the chidren.If so something might happen to the teacher,there should be a extra gun somewhere in the room for a responsible teacher helper should be assigned to.
sewook123

Pro

I thank the Con for this debate.

Proposition believes that children should be allowed to carry hand-held guns on school campus.
Since the Con has not proposed any definitions as to what some of the terms in the topics refer to, Pro will assume that the school refers to a typical high school in a developed nation.

I am also assuming that first round is for acceptance since the Con has not provide her arguments.
I encourage the Con to further expound on the 'alternative solution' she has proposed.

I await Con's arguments.
GUMMYBEARS

Con

GUMMYBEARS forfeited this round.
sewook123

Pro

I find it quite offensive that Con failed to post her arguments while being the instigator. It shows that she does not take this debate seriously and does not acknowledge me as a challenger. I hope she participate on the next round as I am eager to hear her opinion.

Because Con forfeited her round and have not provided any arguments, I will proceed straight to mine without any rebuttals.

Children should be allowed to carry hand-held guns for several reasons.

1. Guns can be used for defense against intruders.

Unfortunately, there have been numerous instances of murder in schools. the possession of weapons by students will act as a deterrence for those who may pose dangers. With hand-held guns, students and teachers are able to retaliate and save further casualties. We hear about some brave souls who threw their lives to save others. Would these altruistic beings have died if there were weapons available? Most of these intruders cause tremendous harm. Because they are mentally-ill, the only way to stop them is by force. Students without any hand-held guns would die at the hands of these psychopaths.

2. Students can be trained to be responsible about possessing a weaponry.

As I mentioned in round one, we are discussing high school students. The majority of students are legally able to drive and some are even legally recognized as adults. With suitable training, students can learn proper usage of these hand-held guns and discipline. It is a fact that automobiles cause more death than guns. [1] If students are allows to drive with certain restrictions, why shouldn't they possess hand-held gun modified to be safer?

3. Guns in school will only cause minor accidents, if at all.

We are currently discussing an average high school with average students. They are able to recognize the dangers of the guns and the responsibilities that come with possessing a weapon. With proper training and education, accidents involving guns in school caused by the students themselves will be minimal. There are also an option of modifying the guns that will be distributed to students. A gun can be defined as "a device that throws a projectile." [2] This means that these guns carried by students don't necessarily have to be murder weapons that may cause life-threatening injuries. The purpose of these guns are not to cause harm but to defend. Simply rubber bullets would be enough to stop many criminals.

I await Con's response.

[1] http://www.cdc.gov...
[2] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
GUMMYBEARS

Con

GUMMYBEARS forfeited this round.
sewook123

Pro

I am very disappointed by the lack of effort by my opponent.

Vote Pro.
Posted by Senatus 3 years ago
Senatus
If GUMMYBEARS does not finish this debate, I am willing to debate this if you still want to.
Posted by IceHawk2009 3 years ago
IceHawk2009
Can I debate just the part of an "extra responsible child" having access to the gun?
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
GUMMYBEARSsewook123Tied
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 3 years ago
birdlandmemories
GUMMYBEARSsewook123Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FF and pro used sources