blackfirewolf
RationalMadman

Should kids be allowed to listen to music in school?

blackfirewolf

Pro

I can't let sleeping dogs lie soooo.... I am once again going to have this debate (my third time. I must be obssesed or something).

Anyways, con can voice his/her argument in R1 and I will counter it in R2.
Good luck.
RationalMadman

Con

Distraction. Simple as that.

A school must ensure a clear, non-distractive working environment and additionally many students use earphones not heaphones and earphones allow poeple sitting next to person to often hear song irritatingly blaring in one ear while that individual is happily working away to their music. This makes it awkward because if student was to complain the teacher would force the listening student to turn it down, and this socially harms the tell-taler as a 'loser' (I'm referring to lower level schooling). As for high school, the studies have to get really serious it's not some joke to just listen to Kanye West while doing some physics homework/revision.
blackfirewolf

Pro

Thanks for debating me.

Music doesn't always have to be a distraction. There are actually studies showing listening to music helps during worktime.

As for the fact that another student's music would be a distraction to another student there are a few things I'd like to point out. That student could ask politely for them to turn it down a bit and I believe most people would turn down their music. If they don't then yes, the teacher would probably get involved. But this doesn't mean it could effect the other student "socially" as you say. The kids may hold grudges for a while but soon they'll just forget it and really, does the fact that a teacher told a student to turn that music really that big of a deal? And there is another thing called "anonymously." The teacher doesn't have to tell the student why or who wants them to turn down the music nor does the teacher ever have to talk to a student. They could just leave a note for the teacher voicing their concerns in which case it is totally anonymous.

There should, of course, also be rules against music being turned so high that others can also hear it. That's a simple rule for teacher to inforce and if a student doesn't obey this rule they would lose the privilage. It's basically the same as phones in a class. As long as the kids obey the rules against txting in class then they can still have their phones with them.

That's all for now. Maybe I'll present some new arguments in the next round.
RationalMadman

Con

RationalMadman forfeited this round.
blackfirewolf

Pro

Well it seems my opponents account is closed so I don't think he'll be having this debate with me anymore. Tooo bad... Anyways, Vote pro! :)
RationalMadman

Con

RationalMadman forfeited this round.
blackfirewolf

Pro

blackfirewolf forfeited this round.
RationalMadman

Con

RationalMadman forfeited this round.
Posted by blackfirewolf 4 years ago
blackfirewolf
Basically listening to music on any electonic device.
Posted by commo_sense 4 years ago
commo_sense
do you mean on ipods or something else