RosalieSC
Sasoto

Should kids be allowed to wear earrings?

Sasoto

RosalieSC

Con

The first round is for acceptance.

ok baii
Sasoto

Pro

RosalieSC

Con

First and foremost, the most dangerous part about getting earrings as a child is the possibility of getting an infection or allergic reaction. When a child gets their ears pierced, their ears could turn red, the earlobes could swell up, there could be scabs. In the most extreme cases, there could even be a fever! I am sure that no parent would ever want their child to get an infection to only "look pretty." Most of the time, when an ear gets infected, doctors suggest letting the pierced hole heal and close up. This may not seem like an issue, but if your child is feisty then they could be complaining for even more time. On top of that, the ear typically cannot be pierced again on the previously infected ear. This would revert things back to before the ears were pierced, which means that the whole situation and the stress and worry that came from it, could have been prevented if the child's ears weren't pierced.

My second reason why I believe a child should NOT get pierced ears, is because of the responsibility that comes with getting earrings. When a kid gets pierced ears, they need to keep their earrings in the pierced hole for many days so the hole doesn't close up. This experience causes some pain, so if the child is young then this could get quite annoying for the parents, and painful for the child. While the earrings are in, it could also cause a distraction for the child during school or other times where it is important to pay attention. Another responsibility that children need to do when they have earrings is clean their ears regularly and watch for infections. If a child is too young, they will not understand the risk of infection or understand why it is important to clean their ears often. Although the parent could do this, most of the time it is the child that wanted to pierce their ears so it is not fair to push the responsibility back on to the parent.

My last reason why a child shouldn't get pierced ears is the future events that could endanger a child if their ears are pierced. If a child gets their ears pierced, in the future they would have a higher chance of getting infections, allergic reactions, keloid formation, and traumatic tearing. Sometimes, earrings can even become embedded into the earlobe and they would need to go to the emergency room to get extracted. When a child plays outside after getting their earrings, they could possibly rip their earrings out from rough play, falls, or the accidental pulling of the earring. This is very dangerous, and little kids may not understand the danger of injuries near the earrings.

In conclusion, I believe that a child should NOT be able to get earrings because of the risk of infection, the responsibilities that come with getting earrings, and the dangers of future events that could damage the ear from the earrings.
Sasoto

Pro

First of all, I believe that kids SHOULD be allowed to wear earrings b/c they'll feel confident in their beauty that way. Some people feel left out or disconnected from other kids b/c of looks. The earrings can help improve their confidence, and fit in with the other kids. Sometimes the earrings could help a relationship start by a "Hey those are nice earrings!" or "I like how you look!" This can make someone more social.

Second of all, they look good! There are tons of designs for earrings, and maybe you can do a little mix and match! Getting earrings with a cool design can show your personality! You can express how you feel, what you like, your style all in the earrings. This can be a good combo with outfits.

My last reason is when you get your earrings. When your parents or guardian allows your ears to be pierced, they give a sense of trust into you that you can take care of yourself. This shows that they believe you're responsible, and your earrings are a symbol of that. Sure, you need to be aware of your earrings, but you'll gain new skills that way.
RosalieSC

Con

In my opponent's first paragraph, he claims that kids will feel more confident in their beauty because of their earrings. Will this help? I personally do not believe that the risk of infection and injury is NOT worth just "being pretty." If a child feels left out or disconnected from other kids because of just "looks," the parent can discuss with the child that beauty is not everything and that there are other ways to fit in that are less dangerous. Also, a child often claims that earrings will boost their confidence, but this is not true. After getting their ears pierced, the child will go through a lot of pain and hard work if the child doesn't understand the responsibilities of taking care of the ears. I am sure that doing more work and experiencing pain does not improve confidence. In response to my opponent's last statement: There are other ways to introduce yourself to people without the need of earrings. In fact, two children could even form a friendship because they both DON'T have earrings.

In my opponent's second paragraph, he claims that earrings look nice on children. While this is true, it doesn't change the fact they could be disruptive during school and they could be uncomfortable. If a child is young, they could develop a tendency to play or push around their earrings during class. As with most young children, they often have a short attention span to things they don't like so earrings could contribute to this which would make them even MORE distracted in class. Earrings can also be uncomfortable depending on their design, especially during the beginning stages of pierced ears. The multiple "designs" could possibly not work on a certain child, so they would feel uncomfortable with their earrings.

My opponent's last paragraph describes how a parent or guardian allows a child to get their ears pierced, which shows that they have the responsibility. However, this is whether the parent or guardian BELIEVES that the child has responsibility, they most likely will not at a young age. Also, in most situations the parent is slightly forced to give a child earrings or else they will continue to whine and throw tantrums.

In conclusion, these are my counter-arguments to my opponent's reasons.
Sasoto

Pro

My opponent's first paragraph states that getting earrings can lead to an infection or allergic reaction. I believe this can be easily avoided by asking the doctor. Once that's done, you'll have a win-win! You'll have beautiful earrings, and you'll be in tip top shape.

As for the second paragraph, my opponent states that a child should not get pierced ears because of the responsibility. I believe this instead of not being able to carry the responsibility, this can be a way of learning to be responsible.

The third paragraph is basically the same thing as the first paragraph, and I have the same answer for it. Instead of 3 reasons, I'm sure that you only have 2.

For the counter-arguments, I believe that the earrings can be a great help in making friends. Seeing someone with a similar style may show that they can have similar traits.
RosalieSC

Con

RosalieSC forfeited this round.
Sasoto

Pro

Just as I thought. My opponent has forfeited this round, showing that she does not have any counters to my arguments.
Vote for the PRO side of the debate.
Posted by fire_wings 12 months ago
fire_wings
Part 2

Now I will go onto Pro"s arguments.

Pro"s first argument is that they can be confident, and will fit into others who were earrings. This was a not so good argument.

Con says that infections are more important than looking, and he concedes half of the argument. 1/2v.s1/2

Pro"s second argument is that they look good.

Con fails to rebut this, and concedes this partly. " v.s. 1

Immediately Pro wins this debate. Con fails and loses " v.s. 1.

My feedback: Con don"t forfeit, and don"t say I agree with you. Your arguments itself were stronger, but then they were refuted. Good debates need better rebuttals than arguments. Even with bad arguments, and the other team with bad rebuttals, they will get dropped, and you will win.

Pro did an extremely good job.

I enjoyed reading the debate. Vote Pro/
Posted by fire_wings 12 months ago
fire_wings
For my voting privileges.

Okay, I think that is a debate where Pro won, conduct and arguments

Conduct

Even though both sides were polite, because Con forfeited, Pro gets conduct.

Arguments

This was given to Pro. I will explain all arguments later, but with no forfeit, Con could have easily won this. But because he forfeited, and the arguments got dropped, that is why Con had losted the debate.

I will first go onto Con"s first argument. Con"s first argument is that a child can get an infection or allergy reaction. This was a good argument, saying that no matter how nice it looks, it hurts a child.

Pro rebuts this by saying that you can easily go to the doctor, which can cure the infections and allergies. Con"s first argument is dropped.

Con"s second argument was that responsibility matters. Con covers this up in two ways. The first way Con says is that they have to have the earring"s one for a few days for the hole to not cover up. Con says that this is painful for a child, therefore because the child has bad responsibility, they can"t have earrings. The second subpoint Con makes is that they have to clean their ears and earring often. Con does say that the parents might do this, but that means that the child has no responsibility to do that. This argument was good.

Pro rebuts this by saying that this can make them become more responsible, if they have earrings. This is like a counterplan that rebuts Con"s argument. I will say this is half rebutted. ":0 Con is winning.

Con"s last argument is that it could endanger a child in the future with traumatic experience. This is not so of a good argument.

Pro rebuts this in the first argument.
Posted by RosalieSC 12 months ago
RosalieSC
Thanks for your criticism, this was my first debate anyways
Posted by Normerican 12 months ago
Normerican
You keep saying 'if's in your argument.

You have not given a definite argument against ear-piercings. By your logic, I can suppose: That the earring has a sentimental value to that person, whether it be their lucky earring, or what not. They could also be very responsible children who know how to take care of their ear piercings, then what's the issue with having their ear-pierced.

Many kids are, probably a good majority, and what age range are we considering.

If you want my vote, you need to give me a definite reason why, under no circumstances; or limited at best, why ear piercings are wrong. And be clear in your arguments, define what group of children you are referring to.

Just a tip, me.
Vote Placed by fire_wings 11 months ago
fire_wings
RosalieSCSasotoTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments
Vote Placed by Normerican 12 months ago
Normerican
RosalieSCSasotoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by U.n 12 months ago
U.n
RosalieSCSasotoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture