mobbinmelis
andrewbarnard94

Should kids be born into a religion?

mobbinmelis

Con

I don't think that babies should be born into a religion. By that, I mean that i don't think that when you have a child you should automatically call them "christian" or "Jewish" (ect). I think that the child should have the choice to grow up and find their path by themselves. I have nothing against religion nor do I think its something bad. All i'm saying is that I think that people should understand and agree with a religion before they are "put" into it. I know people who were born into a religion and to this day love it and live like that where as I also know people who were born into a religion that have to lie to family and say they believe in something they don't. My opinion is that religion should not be pushed onto anyone and that they should find religion on their own. Not born into one. I am open to ideas and want to hear what you have to say. :)
andrewbarnard94

Pro

In a respect I agree with my opponent: ultimately religious choices must be personal and cannot be forced upon anyone.

But a child's growing up years will have a profound influence on the choices that are eventually made. And during that time, I would argue that it is the parent's full right and responsibility to teach their child their own religious convictions and beliefs. It is important to realize that any truly religious person deeply believes that their beliefs are vital and crucial for life, so why would they not want to pass this on to the next generation? But, and perhaps most significantly, it is impossible for a child not to have significant influences from some source. If it is not the parents guiding the developing mind of a child, it will be someone else. It is impossible for a child to simply reach all conclusions on his/her own. Who would be better to guide a child in this way than his/her own flesh and blood?

By the time a child nears adult years, the child will need to make a decision: should I continue in the way I have been raised, or do I want to head a different direction? This place of crossroads will be reached and is pivotal. Ultimately it is here that the course of a child's life will be chosen. But until then, it is the right of a parent to teach a child in hopes that their child will make life choices that they deem wise. And in that process, it's only natural that the child would be considered a part of the religious affiliation of his/her parents, even if not in the ultimate, final sense that comes with maturity.
mobbinmelis

Con

mobbinmelis forfeited this round.
andrewbarnard94

Pro

Since my opponent forfeited, I will wait for a response before elaborating on my argument.
mobbinmelis

Con

Well, I actually agree with how you are saying it is a parents right to teach their children while they are growing up and how then after the child can make their own decision. But the problem is, the years leading up to their freedom. If their parents are very closed minded then telling their religious parents that they don't believe in something that is so incredibly important to the parents, that could end up wrong. My opinion is that if a parent so strongly believes in that religion and they (for example) believe that everyone will find god and if they don't they will not go to heaven, then they can let their son or daughter find it themselves. I think even by giving the child a choice shows that their religion is loving and open minded, it even gives the child a better view on the religion. Showing that it is a beautiful lifestyle that you find and build a relationship with. When its forced on the child it shows a religion that is closed minded, aggressive, and somewhat ignorant.
andrewbarnard94

Pro

andrewbarnard94 forfeited this round.
Posted by DudeStop 2 years ago
DudeStop
Right, let's bring some into atheism,