tyler42240
ryanKim

Should kids be forced to go to school?

tyler42240

Pro

I am Pro. I think kids should be forced to go to school. I figure this will be a great debate.

Good Luck!
ryanKim

Con

Good luck to you too :)
I'll start off with some definitions:

Forced - government regulations

Poverty - characterized as the lack of access of its citizens to basic human needs such as nutrition, clean water, and shelter

Children - elementary through high school
1. Kids may have families to support.
The families in poverty don't have the money to send their kids to school and may need their labor in addition to their own to sustain the family. In Mexico, as of 2010, the population is 112,322,757. And out of that population, 10.5%, or about 11.8 million people, are in extreme poverty and 44.2%, or about 50 million people, are below the poverty line. These people won't have the money to put all of their children to school let alone keep them healthy and fed. http://www.all4ed.org...

2. Academics isn't for everyone and money will be wasted.
In the US, 1.3 millions students dropout of high school every year. The fact that there were 1.3 million people that dropped out of high school, they must have gone through elementary school and middle school. And someone had to pay for these kids education. Where does this money come from? Tax payers. Tax payers waste their money on these dropouts and especially now our economy is in a depression, people can't afford to waste their money on these dropouts.
www.all4ed.org

3. Children above the age are competent enough to make their own decisions.
If 12 year olds can choose what he/she wants to be when he/she grows up, she's computer enough to know that you need school for that. If a 14 year old decides to have sex and get pregnant, she's old enough to make her own decisions. If a 16 year old can decide to take drugs and seal their fate, what good is school?

And for future reference, instead of writing good luck, I think you're supposed to give your arguments.
tyler42240

Pro

1. Kids may have families to support.

When you accepted this argument I assumed that you knew I was talking about the United States of America, not Mexico. (I guess that's what I get for assuming.) Putting their children through school cost money? Unless their sending them to some private school? The schools are really good about providing FREE or REDUCED lunches to the kids based on the parents income. If the family is having that much trouble financially that's what Government assistance is for! Schools are here to better kids education. I don't know many doctors who are high school drop outs! Graduating would be the best choice for these kids. Of course, if they were to drop out it would help for the moment, but what about the long run? What about when they're 40 years old, and no further education then maybe the 10th grade? The government is just looking out for the greater good of America. On average the high school drop out makes about $19,500 a year; with a high school graduate making about $27,400. That's a difference of $7,900! It would make more sense to me to finish high school! Further education past high school is of course and should be optional.

http://www.all4ed.org...

2.
"Academics isn't for everyone and money will be wasted"

Waste of money!? On education!? I don't see how trying to help people better themselves in the world today is wasteful! Like you said we are in a depression. What makes you think an employer is going go out and hire some 15 year old kid with no work experience and no education? I certainly wouldn't! Education is everything nowadays! Would you rather have millions of kids with no education, more than likely no jobs, or, have kids with bright futures, education, and a productive part of society? What are the kids going to do when not in school? Go out and commit crime, live off Government for the WRONG reasons, and not making anything of their self. I don't think I'm wasting money on someone else's education. It will also be harder to get a job with no educational achievements. Employers don't want to hire people with no high school diploma or GED to work for them! I certainly wouldn't want them working for me! They quit high school, what makes you think they won't quit their job or everything else in life too?

3. "Children above the age are competent enough to make their own decisions."

So you can choose all you want too, it all depends if you actually go through with it or not. But I guarantee it that 12 year olds aren't dreaming about being the Crew Member for a local McDonalds or Wendy's. They are dreaming big, more than likely a job/career that you'll need a high school diploma for. Not every 14 year old is going to have sex! What good is having sex at 14 years old compared to going to high school and getting a diploma? Going high school and getting a diploma clearly is the right and logical thing to do. And as of 16 year olds drugs is a moral thing. Drugs don't help America, educated people do!

And for future reference, I assumed that you knew it was an acceptance round. (Ooops.. There I go assuming again) :)
ryanKim

Con

I was assuming all around the world.. but okay.
Well in the US, financial aid's not as big of a problem as other countries.
I have no idea where the doctor came from... it was just kind of in there and you didn't articulate it at all..
"What about when they're 40 years old, and no further education then maybe the 10th grade?" - well if they dropped out in the the 10th grade, they were old enough to make their own decisions. And just in case you didn't know, there are different types of high school graduating plans. Aside the normal plans that most students currently graduate from, there is an alternate plan, a plan designed to get the student a diploma and out of high school with the minimum requirements - usually for the "bad" students. This plan is usually the easy way out or the last resort. What good is a diploma if you just barely got it.. These students didn't care about school they just barely passed their classes and barely received their credits.
"That's a difference of $7,900!" - you're saying that kids should finish high school because they'll basically get more money... by this logic, you're also saying government should also force kids to attend college because they'll get more money. Because they're getting more money, "it would make more sense to me to finish" college. but you're contradicting this logic by saying college should be optional.

2. Well... they drop out and don't get their diploma, it's kind of a waste of money.. ㅠ.ㅠ
"What makes you think an employer is going go out and hire some 15 year old kid with no work experience and no education" - So what jobs would these kids get with just a high school diploma??
" Would you rather have millions of kids with no education, more than likely no jobs, or, have kids with bright futures, education, and a productive part of society? What are the kids going to do when not in school" - I think you're assuming that kids are flying solo.. they're not. millions of kids aren't going to live without education because they do have parents that do have authority.. And somewhere up there, i talked about the alternative high school graduating plan. These kids don't care about school. They didn't work hard at all. They didn't try. What gives the governments the right to use citizens' tax dollars to educate these apathetic people.
" Employers don't want to hire people with no high school diploma or GED to work for them" - what job would you give them if they did have HS diplomas?

3. "They are dreaming big, more than likely a job/career that you'll need a high school diploma for" - if this is true, then we don't have a problem. in order to achieve these dreams one would have to go through school. and because they would want to achieve these dreams, they will go through school. if they can't come to that conclusion by themselves, they have guidance from their parents... once again, they're not flying solo.
"Not every 14 year old is going to have sex" - by saying this, you're admitting that there are 14 year old that do indeed have sex and get pregnant. And if you make it a government law, you are making ALL of the people obey these laws. So the 14 year pregnant girl would have to follow this law as well. and if they can't spend their time at school and have to raise money for the baby, they can't go to school. And if the law made this mother go to school, what would become of they baby?
" Drugs don't help America, educated people do" - yeah... drugs are bad.. but they happen anyways.. And i do agree that drugs don't help america.. so what's the point of educating these druggies that are apathetic about school and wasting people's hard-earned tax dollars?
tyler42240

Pro

tyler42240 forfeited this round.
ryanKim

Con

ryanKim forfeited this round.
tyler42240

Pro

tyler42240 forfeited this round.
ryanKim

Con

Well... There were no arguments against my arguments... So I'm just going to assume I won.