rstreeter13
Faheey

Should kids get more days off from school?

Faheey

rstreeter13

Pro

I think students should get a little extra time away from school and all the homework, books, teachers, etc. Students get to stressed out from all the homework and if they fall behind there is even more stress.
Faheey

Con

I accept your challenge as it is a subject close to my heart ... this is my first debate, so please don't go easy on me :)

I would like to set out clearly why I oppose this notion that children require more time away from school.

The key argument you have stated is the stress suffered due to the additional workload of homework, revising and the additional anxiety from falling further behind. Before setting out my position, I have some questions about this to start off with, notably:
Are you talking about all students from all sections of education, or just secondary school?
Do you think their grades will improve if you implement changes to reduce the workload?
What would the implications be if students were allowed to manage an increased 'free' time outside the classroom?

I personally believe that spending quality time within an educational setting can be immensely rewarding and incredibly beneficial to all students. The quality comes from the teaching, activities and the learning environment, where all children have the chance to engage with the learning process. They are actively encouraged to try their best and broaden their horizons and their achievements are celebrated. I bring this up as it gives reason why spending time in an educational facility should not be a bore. It should be a time where children are inspired. The onus is on the educational facility to enthuse and educate the children. With this inspiration the children will have a certain direction, they will know what they have to do to achieve, they will want to go that extra mile to bridge any gap, they will be empowered to know exactly how to overcome any barriers in their way. Do you believe motivated children would want to spend more or less time in school?

Looking at it from an increased workload perspective puts the emphasis on the learner. I worry that if you downgrade your expectations, then you will accept poorer grades more readily. This will ultimately have a knock on effect on the quality of professional personnel going out into the job market. Under any circumstance this cannot be good.

The emphasis has to be on engaging the learner, not reducing expectations.

Over to you :)
rstreeter13

Pro

Kids do deserve more time out of school. They do because they have very much homework to complete and turn in a time period. I am proposing that if students get more time away from school there will not be as much work overload.

I think that all schools up to senior year in high school should be required to give students more time off. If students have more free time they will be more willing to complete and turn in the assignment in its designated time slot. If students do they're homework more willingly they will be more willing to learn thus getting better grades on the test, quizzes, assignments, etc. Kids should be encouraged to learn and if they are they are still getting more education just in a longer time period.

Students get stressed out from all the books, assignments, tests, quizzes, etc. they need more time away from it. They deserve it. They do a lot of work for up to seven hours a day. They need a break so they don't get too tired or have work overload.

That is my side of the argument. :)
Faheey

Con

Thanks for some clarity, though I'm not convinced with some of your suggestions about children being able to not only effectively manage their own time, but also inspire themselves to improve their own learning.

I believe that inspired children, engaged with the learning process will progress massively year on year. However, if you focus on the amount of work they are given, not the quality of the education, you are arguing them out of an improved education. I disagree completely that given more time children would be more willing to complete their assignments in the designated time slot. The importance of a good education should be encouraged - taking the children out of school sends the message that teachers can't quite do their jobs properly and require children to support themselves even in areas they have misconceptions, or don't fully understand. Without misconceptions being corrected, children may rely too heavily upon misguided internet research that may or may not be correct.

The issue of children being stressed should not be ignored. However, children do get stressed if they don't know what they are doing, or if they feel they can't achieve in the time allowed. My argument would be that the time they have in school should support the work they do. Students should be prepared for the assignments they are setDeadlines can help improve student organisation. However, if you allow too much time it could encourage increased distraction and decreased efficiency. More time out the class also decreases the time away from an educational professional. Thereby increasing the stress levels through setting increasingly unattainable goals. heaping the workload on the student through increasing unsupported time.

I don't believe children can escape totally the element of stress. It is important they learn to recognise and deal with stress to be able to function in the working world. Not too much you understand, but a certain level where, if they are supported, they can answer challenging questions and ensure they are increasingly ready to face the challenges ahead.

Finally, you comment they are working for 7 hours a day. Is this including school time, or outside of school time?

I am all for improving the quality of education the children receive, but I think your focus on reducing the time in school will have the reverse effect.
rstreeter13

Pro

Students do need a little more time away from school. They do because they do a lot of homework and deserve it. They need a break every once in a while. Getting more time from school doesn't show that teachers can't do their job properly it just shows that students need more free time away from school instead of at school. More time off doesn't just benefit the students it also benefits the teachers. The teachers can have more time to grade papers, tests, etc.

When students are outside of school they aren't distracted by all the homework and teachers. They have up to seven hours of school not including if they have extra homework.
Faheey

Con

I find it difficult to support any measure of your argument. I'm making an assumption you are from the USA (apologies if incorrect :) ), within the USA, students are required to attend school approximately 180 days every year. This is less than 1 day in 2; allowing plenty time for additional work. If you are concerned with the time at school maybe re-organising the holiday time would help make it feel like you had more time away from school. Introducing regular breaks of up to two weeks and a slightly longer one during the summer (4-6weeks) would allow for the students to catch up without having to actually reduce the amount of time in class.

So ultimately, if you want to improve the quality of education, I believe the focus should be on improving the learning experience, not on reducing the hours attending schools because it seems 'too much' and causes stress for the students.
Posted by Lukenary 2 years ago
Lukenary
I'm on pro's side. Not because I am still in school, it's that he's right. I'm a poor student at most subjects, and it's mostly because I can't get all my work done at home due to a very busy schedule of running about and visiting a lot of relatives. It just too overwhelming for most students along with me.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
rstreeter13FaheeyTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro too heavily depended on the fact that kids get too much homework--which, as con pointed out, could be easily solved with less homework--with absolutely no need to take off any days from school. Con wins here with his excellent counter-plan.
Vote Placed by republicofdhar 2 years ago
republicofdhar
rstreeter13FaheeyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro presented his argument, but his entire debate seems to be an assertion of "students get too much homework, they should get more days off to complete the homework and then de-stress". This was unsubstantiated and Pro did not provide any reason or source for believing that homework has a heavy impact on a child's well-being. Con had substantially more impactful points, though I wish that he had picked out the immediate flaw in Pro's assertions: If homework is the problem, then simply giving less homework (as deemed appropriatee by some authority) solves it. There is no need to increase the number of days off school. Pro and Con are tied for conduct, spelling and grammar. Neither used sources.