inuyasha_freak
Xera

Should kids go to school

inuyasha_freak

Pro

Kids should go to school because it offers them a lifetime of learning. It offers them friends and a better life for the future because, what's a life without an education.

Xera, It's me again, and this I WILL WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for the first time.
Xera

Con

Thank you for the challenge IF (do you mind if I call you that?) I've got questions I will direct in the comments section.

I propose that kids should NOT go to school. First I will refute my opponants arguments then I will present my own case.

"it offers them a lifetime of learning. "

So does homeschooling.

"It offers them friends and "

This is not always a good thing. Take those Texas Cheerleaders in McKinney; being friends was not really a good thing for them. Seeing as you are 11 your parents may have chosen to shield you from this. Basically a group of four cheerleaders somehow nicknamed the Fab 5 (see if school were that great they could have counted to 4) run around drinking and taking inappropriate pictures and posting them on MySpace. There's a movie about it on Lifetime, but I wouldn't think it's overly true seeing as those made for TV movies never are.

"a better life for the future "

I disagree that this is because of school. I think this is because of education, which can be received from homeschooling.

"What's a life without an education."

Life without education is ignorance. Ignorance is bliss. Therefore life without education is bliss.

Now I will present my case:

I.Kids don't learn well in schools

There are numerous theories out there about how to best teach children. All of them show different methods that work well with different children. Not one study however has shown children learning well from an intuitional style setting. I propose that students would be better served out of school, learning from hands on, natural experimentation and exploration in the real world (structured of course)

II.Homeschooling is good for many kids
As much as my boss would love to say differently, studies show that kids with homeschooling can and do perform as well or better on standardized tests than the traditionally schooled counterparts. http://www.hslda.org...
inuyasha_freak

Pro

Homeschooling dosen work if you don�t have brilliant parents. and because your prents dodnt get certificates of proper teaching, it's not really effective.

School can help you socialize with people. If your homeschooled then your cooped up in a room wwith a parent beside you.
Besides, how will you do your PAT?
Xera

Con

PRO said: Homeschooling dosen work if you don�t have brilliant parents. and because your prents dodnt get certificates of proper teaching, it's not really effective.

Rebuttal: No one must be brilliant in order to teach. The only real requirements are knowing the subject matter, which they should do so if they have completed High School, and a willingness to research good curriculum. There are thousands of places to order curriculum from for homeschooling parents. The important thing is to research which one you actually order. There is no reason any person with a grasp of what is being taught, with good curriculum to back them up, in a class size of only 1-4 should have any trouble teaching.

PRO said: School can help you socialize with people.

Rebuttal: Homeschooled students have formed clubs and social groups. Some have gotten together to form sports teams, utilize field trips, etc. Socialization still occurs.

Pro said: how will you do your PAT?

Rebuttal: I'm assuming here this is a standardized test similar to our Achievement tests? or would this be more similar to a SAT test? Either way, the students are still required to take the Achievement tests there are several agencies which provide the materials for parents to use. As for the SATs, pretty much those are paid for and taken by the student at a testing site, which may or may not be the child's local school anyway. I took my SATs in a library. My sister took her's in a school. Homeschooled students do better on the SATs than their public school counterparts. http://www.ontariohomeschool.org...

Many of the answers to what you are questioning can be found here http://www.holtgws.com...?

Now to extend my arguments:

The primary argument my opponent has yet to refute is that institutionalized learning has not been proven to be a method that is most successful in any study. In fact solid research suggests that hands on, experimentation, and exploration is the most effective in encouraging students to retain what they learn.

http://newali.apple.com...
http://www.ncrel.org...
inuyasha_freak

Pro

I think that homeschooling is a great idea too, but even if there is more than 5 people homeschooling with yoou, you can't LEARN how to make new friends. cause the only friends you got is the ones in the room that you learn in.

I thank you all for reading this debate and hope you vote for pro.

I thank you Xera for making this th hardest debate I've had,
Xera

Con

Pro said: I think that homeschooling is a great idea too, but even if there is more than 5 people homeschooling with yoou, you can't LEARN how to make new friends. cause the only friends you got is the ones in the room that you learn in.

Rebuttal: We all learn how to make friends by going out there and talking to people. School is not the only place to do this. Home schooled children can and do socialize.
http://www.lewrockwell.com...

Pro said: I thank you Xera for making this th hardest debate I've had,

lol, your welcome. I'll post the remainder of my response to this in the comments section.

Ladies and Gentlemen: I propose that the resolution : Children should be in school is false. I have shown that children can gain as much from homeschooling as they do from school, and that they will outperform their public school counterparts when they are homeschooled. Therefore Children should be at home.

Vote Con
Posted by stfuss 3 years ago
stfuss
In my view, schools are the better places for kids to learn most of the life skills and being a responsible parent, they need to choose a best school and continuous support help kids with better performance.. http://www.troubledteensguide.com...
Posted by Zerosmelt 5 years ago
Zerosmelt
"Not everyone votes based on the criteria of "who argued better." Many vote based on whether or not they were persuaded."

I'd go one step father and say that most just vote on the title of the debate.
Posted by Logical-Master 5 years ago
Logical-Master
"I can not believe that IF is winning the vote as of right now. Did you people not read the debate? Xera clearly defeated IF. Are you people kidding me?"

Not everyone votes based on the criteria of "who argued better." Many vote based on whether or not they were persuaded.
Posted by Xera 5 years ago
Xera
Just to clarify, since I re-read what I wrote, I'm new, not unwilling to chance loosing. Just new.
Posted by Xera 5 years ago
Xera
I was not given the opportunity to refute the statement that homeschooling is school because my opponant did not mention it. Had she I would have pointed out that the resolution says "GO" meaning somewhere else, and in the phrase homeschooling, the -ing shows that in this case school is a verb meaning to be taught. Therefore homeschooling is not GOING to school. There were several arguments my opponent COULD have used to out debate me, but she did not. I will elaborate on this

1. Test scores- kids always do better when parents are involved in the school, since parents MUST be involved in homeschool, there is no proof or correlation.

2. Few parents can afford to actually have one parent stay home and teach. Most parents rely on two incomes and in those families at least the kids should be in school. Since the resolution does not require all kids to go to school, any kids that need to go to school would win the debate.

My point being there are MANY arguments that COULD have been used I would not have been able to refute, but they weren't!

I was prepared to loose this one when I took it, but to loose because of arguments that my opponent didn't even USE!

IF, this is not a criticism of you, you did well for not having any experience. These are just areas I would have argued on the other side of the debate. I read on one of your other debates you choose people with a 100% win ratio. This was a mistake I think if you were wanting quality debates. Most with that high a ratio are new, or only take debates they know they will win.
Posted by inuyasha_freak 5 years ago
inuyasha_freak
Xera, I take bad comments really humorously.
Posted by PoeJoe 5 years ago
PoeJoe
I can not believe that IF is winning the vote as of right now. Did you people not read the debate? Xera clearly defeated IF. Are you people kidding me?
Posted by Xera 5 years ago
Xera
IF, I almost did not take this debate. I was not sure how I could present my case without coming across as being mean to an 11 year old. I finally decided that you had seen enough of my style in our last debate that you could be trusted to know what you were getting yourself into. I'm glad I was able to challenge you. That is, in my opinion, the wonderful thing about debate, being able to discover new things and new ways of looking at things. Even though I may never say so IN an actual debate, I've been in a few that have actually changed my way of thinking.
Posted by CiRrO 5 years ago
CiRrO
Hey all. Interesting debate, however I would have to agree with Pro. I believe Con "should" have won, however the basic premise for the debate was weighted in Pro's favor. On topicality, Pro won, that's why I voted pro. Also, Pro u could have argued that homeschooling is indeed school, thus Xera is only affirming by using that argument. So, Cya all around. ^^
Posted by Xera 5 years ago
Xera
IF, I only asked because you have challenged me to two debates on issues that are not covered in my profile, so I thought you might be someone that I know. I have chatted with a few people in Canada before, though none of them have been 11
Vote Placed by iholland95 1 year ago
iholland95
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by nonparticipant 4 years ago
nonparticipant
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by TheDream 5 years ago
TheDream
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by Insanebunny 5 years ago
Insanebunny
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by Zerosmelt 5 years ago
Zerosmelt
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by Derth 5 years ago
Derth
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by appletreez 5 years ago
appletreez
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by Karoz 5 years ago
Karoz
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by liberty 5 years ago
liberty
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by lorca 5 years ago
lorca
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Research this debate: Medina,England