kirmath
Lil_bit

Should kids have cell phones?

Started: 1/20/2013 Category: Technology

kirmath

Pro

Kids should have cell phones because they need to communicate in case of an emergency. If they don't have cell phones, they can't call anyone. What if they are in trouble or need their parents to come pick them up or help them? I agree, if they have cell phones most kids will take advantage and start texting, but you can always limit their calling and texting plan. Kids should have cell phones.
Lil_bit

Con

First off, thanks to anyone who takes the time to look at this and vote. And good luck to the pro side.

Before we begin, I'd like to clarify a few points my opponent doesn't make very clear. First off, when referencing "kids" I will be referring to children 13 and younger. And a cell phone is any portable communication device.

To start, allow me to refute a few of Pro's arguments. He (?) says kids need phones to communicate in case of emergency. Well, let me go back to a phrase I know we've all heard at least once from our elders. "Back in my day, we didn't have cell phones and I made it just fine." As annoying as this phrase is, it's very true. People have made it fine in the past without a cellular device. And while I will agree that times have changed and we are advancing in technology, there are other means of communication. If something happens at school, for example, the front office always has phones. So do most adults. Almost every grown person has a phone on them at all times. If there happens to be an emergency at home while your parents are away, you have neighbors. When I was in 6th grade, I always came home and waited about 30 minutes until my mom came back from work. I didn't have a cell phone. One day, the front door was wide open when I got there. I was too afraid to go in, so I went next door and a very kind lady lent me her phone and let me stay till my mom got back. Luckily, the door just didn't latch and wind must have blown it open.

Next. my opponent even agrees that kids may take advantage of texting. And this couldn't be more true. Cell phones are a distraction. Even for older teens such as myself. I will admit to missing many lectures and assignments due to my phone. And a younger child would be even more susceptible to this new distraction. We simply cannot take this unnecessary risk. And while you don't have to have unlimited texting and calling, do you really think a child will pay attention to this? They may go over their limit and cost you money. And even if their phones do get shut off, they wind up phone-less anyways.

Cell phones can be handy and great tools. But not for children. Our society is way too dependent on technology as it is. We need to keep our children focused in school. Kids do not need cell phones.
kirmath

Pro

kirmath forfeited this round.
Lil_bit

Con

Well, since pro forfeited this round, I suppose he has no rebuttals to the arguments I've made and my opponent agrees with me. Please take this into account when voting.
kirmath

Pro

kirmath forfeited this round.
Lil_bit

Con

Again pro has forfeited.... this is quite an exciting round... Haha.
kirmath

Pro

kirmath forfeited this round.
kirmath

Pro

kirmath forfeited this round.
Lil_bit

Con

Lil_bit forfeited this round.