JPage
knightj

Should kids have to wear school uniforms?

JPage

Con

Uniforms are defined as the distinctive clothing worn by members of the same organization or body or by children attending certain schools. They are worn to define people as a whole. Uniforms are used in most jobs and in most schools across the world. The years of 2009-2010 showed that 19% of schools enforced a uniform policy and is going to continue that. I believe that kids should not have to wear school uniforms.
I realize that others may disagree, and agree that kids should have to wear uniform. School uniforms promote a professional dress attire towards other. With uniforms, kids and teachers wont be concerned about what each other have on and more focus on the education process. Also, uniforms relieve stress over trying to pick out a new outfit to wear everyday. But I believe, kids should not have to wear school uniforms.
Yet, having students to wear uniforms first take away a student's right and their freedom. Also, it restricts the students from expressing their self as an individual through the way they dress. Uniforms can also be uncomfortable to students because its hard putting on certain type of pants or certain type of shirts that don't fit you completely. Finally, uniforms not only effect the student's, but it also effect the parents, because they have go out and pay money to buy uniforms instead of just wearing casual clothes and some kids may not have as much clothes to wear throughout the week so they would have to wear the same thing over and over again.
Additionally, wearing uniforms will confuse everyone from the teachers to the students. For example if everyone in the whole entire school is wearing the same thing, it will become impossible to identify anyone. Therefore, uniforms make school dull and empty of life. Wearing uniforms does not persuade a student to learn, it only makes them want to leave the school that has uniforms to go to a school that is dress code free to be more open.
In conclusion, I believe kids should not have to wear school uniforms. They take away the students freedom to express their self. Everyone cant afford to buy uniforms to wear to school either. Day by day, week by week, month by month, year by year more schools are enforcing a dress code and are changing the world. Will every school in the world be required to wear uniforms?
knightj

Pro

First of all, thank you for giving me the chance to debate this with you. You have come up with some interesting arguments that I will try my best to debate. Before I start, I would like to mention that I am a student and do wear a uniform.

I would like to pick out some of the arguments that you made, and give my opinion of them.

You made an argument that I would like to enforce in favour of my round: 'Also, uniforms relieve stress over trying to pick out a new outfit to wear everyday.' It is much easier to pick out a shirt and pants in the morning, instead of standing there for minutes deciding on what colour top to wear. Many students are also conscious of choosing something that they wore two days ago, in case someone notices.

'Also, it restricts the students from expressing their self as an individual through the way they dress.' I think that this can be a good thing. Some people may begin to pick and bully other people due to their fashion sense. I wouldn't do this, but in the past I have witnessed it. While this is fine for anyone other than the person who is being bullied, the victim will be wishing that the school had a uniform policy.

'Uniforms can also be uncomfortable to students because its hard putting on certain type of pants or certain type of shirts that don't fit you completely.' This is down to the parents, not the school. It is up to the parent's to be able to supply their child with clothes that fit the child. It is not up to the school to make sure that children have comfortable clothing.

'Finally, uniforms not only effect the student's, but it also effect the parents, because they have go out and pay money to buy uniforms instead of just wearing casual clothes'. That's a good point, but I argue that wearing own clothes for school as well as out of school would make own clothes become tatty and horrible quicker. This would mean the parent's would have to go out and buy clothes for the child, which I think would cost a lot more as they would have to buy a lot more.

'Additionally, wearing uniforms will confuse everyone from the teachers to the students. For example if everyone in the whole entire school is wearing the same thing, it will become impossible to identify anyone.' Tell me, when was the last time that you identified someone by the clothes that they were wearing, as oppose to their face. I have never done that as it is impossible; if you want to know who someone is, you may get an idea of who the person is by their clothes, but you get a much clearer and quicker idea by their face.

A point of my own this time is that teachers always have a first impression of you. If you are all wearing the same, the teachers will not be able to have a first opinion based on the way you dress; but instead will focus on your personality more. I know that most teachers judge you on your personality anyway, but I'm sure that there are some who judge you on the way you look.
JPage

Con

I like how you pointed out some things about what I said in my debate such as the uniforms not being able to fit but uniforms are just down right annoying and irritating. It gets old after awhile wearing the same thing over and over again. Wearing uniforms have nothing to do with the learning process. Its all on the students if they choose to learn or not uniforms have nothing to do with that.
knightj

Pro

No, wearing uniforms does not affect the learning process; however, being bullied over your clothes does affect the learning process. So therefore, I think that uniforms do benefit the learning process.

'It gets old after a while wearing the same thing over and over again'.

I agree with this, but for many students, it won't affect them. I keep uniform on all day as it doesn't affect me; however, if uniform does affect the students, they can easily take it off when they get home. Also, non-uniform days offer the students a change so that they can have their way.

I look forward to the next round.
JPage

Con

If there are students getting bullied over the clothes that they wear its not the teachers fought its the student's, because they are the one that have to wear what they wear not the teachers. Besides, uniforms do add a professional look to a school but just because they are wearing uniforms does not mean that they are getting a good education. For example, at my school we have a uniform policy but wearing uniforms does not make us look better it makes us look worse. In all classes kids do not do their work, disobey the teachers, and fight and get suspend. So therefore, uniforms do not affect the learning process. It just affect ho you look on the outside not the inside.
knightj

Pro

No, it is not the teachers fault that the kid is being bullied over their clothes. However, teachers do have a responsibility to help the person being bullied. Of course, there are other ways than introducing uniform, but introducing uniform would stop the outbreak, and therefore it would not be a time consuming process of stopping the bullying.

I understand that uniforms do not affect the learning process in the ways of stopping people fighting, making people concentrate etc. However, neither do normal clothes; so why not have uniform if there is the same argument for both sides?

And with that I conclude this debate. Thank you for debating this topic with me, it has been very interesting to see your view. You have put up a good fight, so I wish you luck for the voting period.