ErickQ
niltiac

Should kids have to wear uniforms in Middle School?

ErickQ

Con

I think kids don't have to wear uniforms. People say that with uniforms prevents bulling. But if u really think about it, What about the shoes? What about the sweaters? It doesn't makes a difference.
niltiac

Pro

I hope our debate goes well, and thank you for bringing up this topic.
I appreciate you sharing your personal opinions on school uniforms, but I have to disagree with you.

"What about the shoes? What about the sweaters?"
You stated the above questions, correct? Studies show that school uniforms contain shoes AND sweaters in their requirements.

study recently released found school uniform policies helped to improve school safety and student achievement, including grades and test scores, in three diverse public school districts.

In light of the increased emphasis on student achievement since the passage of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, "Implementing a School Uniform Policy: A Case Study of Three Districts" provides additional evidence that school uniform policies can be beneficial to student learning.

Five key and consistent findings emerged in "Implementing a School Uniform Policy", which focused on the Denver Public Schools in Denver, Colorado; the Aldine Independent School District outside of Houston, Texas; and District of Baltimore City Public Schools:

1) Regular use of uniforms can help to improve school safety;

2) Regular use of uniforms can help to improve students' classroom behavior;

3) The affordability of school uniforms versus everyday clothing contributes to wide acceptance of the adoption of such a policy;

4) Uniforms can help to reduce student competition and concerns about "fitting in";

5) Uniforms may contribute to improved student outcomes, including grades and test scores.
ErickQ

Con

You are talking about states like Denver and Houston. I live in Compton, California. Around here, kids have to wear their top and bottoms. In the school policy doesn't requires sweaters, like how I have seen in other districts.

This country offers us the freedom of speech and to express ourselves. That doesn't means that the students could act like rebels. There has to be a rule where it says no inappropriate clothing or clothing that represents gangs.
niltiac

Pro

"You are talking about states like Denver and Houston. I live in Compton, California"
1. Denver and Houston aren't states, they're cities in Colorado and Texas. 2. You live in one county. I provided 2 examples. It's an issue everywhere but majority of the country is for implementing the school uniform policy.

Also, these uniforms have been a proven fact towards safety.
The quantitative outcomes of the policy have been remarkable. Crime report summaries are now available for the five-year post-uniform policy period and reflect that school crime overall has dropped approximately 86%, even though K-8 student enrollment increased 14%. The five categories of school crime where comparisons can be made between 1993 levels and 1999 levels are as follows: (a) sex offenses down 93% (from 57 to 4 offenses); (b) robbery/extortion down 85% (from 34 to 5 cases); " selling or using chemical substances down 48% (from 71 to 37 cases); (d) weapons or look-a-likes down 75% (from 145 to 36 cases); and (e) dangerous devices down 96% (from 46 to 2 cases; LBUSD, 1999). " Analysis of attendance figures has also provided interesting outcomes for the uniform initiative. In the fourth year that school uniforms have been required in K-8 grades, the percent of actual attendance reached almost 95%, noted as the highest point in the 18 years that the district has maintained statistics. Middle schools also registered comparable improvements in student attendance reaching almost 95% (LBUSD, 2002)."
ErickQ

Con

ErickQ forfeited this round.
niltiac

Pro

Well thank you for the debate, it was very interesting.
Posted by niltiac 4 years ago
niltiac
I posted my argument. However, it took me more than three seconds to write my response.
Posted by ErickQ 4 years ago
ErickQ
What happen? Don't wanna Debate?