RedInk
knowledge827

Should kids wear uniforms in school?

RedInk

RedInk

Con

Students should NOT be required to wear uniforms in school.

This is my first debate, and I'm 13, so go easy on me. Thanks!!!
knowledge827

Pro

I'm 14 and this is my first debate on this website as well, so don't worry. Just a friendly argument.

But, as too this question, I think that uniforms should be worn in school because uniforms essentially eliminate brand competition among students and thus, students are less likely to succumb to peer pressure to buy trendy clothes that are circulating around the market. Because of the economic and social situations of a lot of families in the world, it is very difficult for a lot of them to buy such trendy items. However, the implementation of uniforms in schools would diminish such barriers and would, hence, increase a sense of belonging within the schools and among students, and thus encourage them to judge people based on their personality rather than by the clothes they wear.

Take this study from the Long Beach Unified School District in California, the 3rd largest school district in that state:

"The quantitative outcomes of the policy have been remarkable. Crime report summaries are now available for the five-year post-uniform policy period and reflect that school crime overall has dropped approximately 86%, even though K-8 student enrollment increased 14%. The five categories of school crime where comparisons can be made between 1993 levels and 1999 levels are as follows: (a) sex offenses down 93% (from 57 to 4 offenses); (b) robbery/extortion down 85% (from 34 to 5 cases); " selling or using chemical substances down 48% (from 71 to 37 cases); (d) weapons or look-a-likes down 75% (from 145 to 36 cases); and (e) dangerous devices down 96% (from 46 to 2 cases; LBUSD, 1999). " Analysis of attendance figures has also provided interesting outcomes for the uniform initiative. In the fourth year that school uniforms have been required in K-8 grades, the percent of actual attendance reached almost 95%, noted as the highest point in the 18 years that the district has maintained statistics. Middle schools also registered comparable improvements in student attendance reaching almost 95% (LBUSD, 2002)."

So, for these reasons, we can see that a uniform policy would encourage a sense of unity and belonging among students and would represent the distinct nature of the academic environment they are in.
RedInk

Con

OK, it is true that uniforms will decrease the brand competition of clothes, which lead to bullying, but does that stop bullying? If one could judge another by the way they dress, then they could pick on you for anything. For example, if everyone wears the same thing in a school, then the bully won't pick on the way you dress. Instead they might say how bad your hair looks. Then what happens, does everyone have to have the same haircut just to stop bullying? My point is, if one wants to bully, they could do it in any way they want. The way someone dresses is just a factor of bullying, bullying is not a factor of the way one dresses.

If a school does not require uniforms, then a student could choose to wear whatever they want, expensive or cheap. But if uniforms are required, then whether or not the family is rich, they have to buy uniforms. Uniforms are not cheap. The ones that are cheaper compared to others usually cost between $100-$150. If a family does not have the ability to pay that much for their child/children, they might have to change schools, and that will affect the child's education.

You mentioned that if students do not wear uniforms, they will be judged by the way they dress. But this isn't a bad thing. The way someone dresses is a way to express themselves. It also allows others to get to know one better. Judging someone by the way they look, act, and speak is something that everyone does. They just choose whether or not to say it, and decide if it is right to say it.

Choosing what to wear trains a child's creativity. It defines their personality by what they think is trending and worth wearing. Some kids wake up really to decide what to wear for the day, that's not bad either. This shows that the child is capable of planning and using their own time wisely.

Personal Example: My best friends sometimes say that my shirt doesn't match my jeans, or this or that does not go on me. But if my clothes suits their tastes, then they would still say that I need to stop wearing my hair the same way everyday. And these are just my BEST FRIENDS. So don't you think that a bully would come up with way more these than that?
knowledge827

Pro

knowledge827 forfeited this round.
RedInk

Con

In conclusion, school uniforms does not make much of a difference, therefore it should not be required.
knowledge827

Pro

knowledge827 forfeited this round.
Posted by Darkknight925 3 years ago
Darkknight925
Yeah... I am with RedInk.
Posted by Darkknight925 3 years ago
Darkknight925
Yeah... I am with RedInk.
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 3 years ago
birdlandmemories
RedInkknowledge827Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Fofeit. Pro's argument in the second round was not refuted by con. Good luck to both of you in future debates.