Hippo
Yousickenme

Should laptops be allowed in classrooms?

Hippo

Pro

Should laptops be allowed in classrooms? Middle School to High school, I agree laptops should be allowed.
Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: arguments
Round 3: Rebuttal
Round 4: rebuttal and final Argument

Thank you in advance for whoever accepts this debate.
Yousickenme

Con

I accept. I assume you are talking about for personal use, because if the teacher were to say it was ok or even require laptops for the classroom there would be no reason for debate.
Hippo

Pro

Well, I kind of mean what you said that, it would have no reason for. Yet your are correct that it would be hard to rebuttal it is still possible for example, the chance of the children secretly doing inappropriate things and the cost maybe to afford laptops for classrooms ect. You just have to be creative about it. You may forfeit the rest of the rounds as this is not the type of Dante you wanted, I apologise for the inconvenience but if you still wish to participate here are my arguments:

Teaching and learning resource.

Computers in classrooms are very effective way to teach, some teachers tend to use them more then others but are still a great resource to have in your classroom. Many educational websites are on the internet and knowledge is to be gained from allowing your students to have them at hand. More then 90% of all schools in America have got a computer lab or laptops able and ready in their schools and in that 90%they privilege from the internet.

Reference: http://www.ncrel.org...
I didn't put much in just in case you didn't want to do it.
Yousickenme

Con

Yousickenme forfeited this round.
Hippo

Pro

My opponent would like to forfeit the other rounds I'm guessing.
Yousickenme

Con

Yousickenme forfeited this round.
Hippo

Pro

Hippo forfeited this round.
Yousickenme

Con

Yousickenme forfeited this round.
Posted by Yousickenme 2 years ago
Yousickenme
It is a shame they abuse their privileges like that, but they are young and you know it is going to happen. Its the same even with college students.
Posted by tnance 2 years ago
tnance
You are right. It is risky. There is a lot of improper use, even in the classroom. We spend time chasing students off of Facebook, etc. They are required to buy insurance should anything happen to the hardware.

I love technology as well. I try to make the use of the laptop part of each of my lesson plans.
Posted by Yousickenme 2 years ago
Yousickenme
tnance, technology being used in the classroom is a good thing. Students using technology for personal use during class time is not. I am surprised your school allows students to take laptops home with them. Seems kind of risky to me.
Posted by tnance 2 years ago
tnance
I am a teacher in a school district where students are given a laptop to do their work. They can take them home and use them for personal use as well, but are primarily for class work.

Requiring laptops to be used in the classroom does not mean they should be used in the classroom. There are several reasons this makes for good debate.