Should legal age of consent be determined by the age of those participating?

I believe that the lowest age of consent should be the older participant's age divided by 2 and added by 7 therefore if you are 20 years old, your partner's age of consent is 17 (20/2+7), if you are 50 your partner has a minimum age of 32. Otherwise your partner can report you for rape. Provided that both partners are of the species' average biological age to reproduce by normal means. The same goes for marriage.

Additionally, the formula (X=Y/2+7) is only a guideline, it can be for example be X=Y/2.04287457852+7.4327823947, depending on further research.

My opponent states that they believe the legal age of consent should be dependent on a math formula.

The sky is blue.

I digress, but the formula is just as relevant to legal issues as what I just mentioned is.

Consent is typically defined as: permission for something to happen or agreement to do something.

Of course it is possible to allow something unintentionally, or to agree with something that isn't good for you.
That is why the issue at hand in LEGAL consent. Legal matters aren't necessarily moral, so while I agree with Pro that age should factor into consent, it doesn't. The law is there to enforce what is best for society. If society can function with 30 y/o and 18 y/o together, then that is all that is legally necessary.

Leave the morals to religion, because the law is secular. (Btw im religious)

TheVeza forfeited this round.

I reiterate my previous argument, considering the forfeit of my opponent.
Posted by rellimac 6 months ago
why base it off of a random formula? i dont think math is going to ever determine social acceptance. just saying
Posted by MaxLamperouge 6 months ago
Interesting thought. Is there any reason to believe that this new formula is better than our current system though? Or that our current system needs to be changed?
Be sure to state your harms with the current system :)