DeltaDragon
KatDoesGoPro

Should marching band be considered a sport

Started: 10/28/2015 Category: Music

DeltaDragon

Pro

I believe that marching band should be considered a sport for many reasons. Of these, one of them is that it matches all criteria for it to be considered a sport as defined by dictionary.com (an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.).
KatDoesGoPro

Con

I accept this debate.

I believe that Marching Bands should not be considered a sport.

The Oxford Dictionary defines a sport as: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. Marching band, although it requires hours of tedious practice, cannot be legitimately labeled as "physical exertion." Partaking in arduous training to improve one"s fitness for the sake of a sport is true physical exertion. Sure, marching band members practice, but does walking and playing an instrument simultaneously really count as training? Although band members do extra "conditioning," it is not strenuous or consistent enough to be considered "athletic training." Running a 10 plus minute mile a couple times a week (if that) is not very athletically demanding. High school gym students do the same thing. Although running an occasional mile might be taxing for some, that does not validate it as training and therefore, is a weak argument.
DeltaDragon

Pro

DeltaDragon forfeited this round.
KatDoesGoPro

Con

It is a shame that my component has forfeited this round. Then again, I shall post my other argument anyway.

have heard many justifications for why marching band should be considered a sport. They have competitions and practice for hours on end. So do show choirs, drama clubs, and professional eaters. Marching band requires skill and coordination. So does walking up a flight of stairs without falling flat on your face. Marching is physical activity. Yes, but that doesn"t make it a sport. Is playing Frisbee with your dog considered a sport? That"s physical activity, too.
DeltaDragon

Pro

I am sorry I could not post on the second round, I was without internet for a while. That said, I shall respond to both of your rounds in this final round. You say that what we do is not physical exertion. The definition of physical exertion, according to thefreedictionary.com, is
"physical exertion - the activity of exerting your muscles in various ways to keep fit;"
As someone who obviously has never experienced the practices, not to mention band camp, you can not make such vastly incorrect claims. Tell me, is running 2 miles not physical exertion? Is the same true about holding an instrument weighing anything from a 3 pound flute to a 40 pound sousaphone at a 30 degree angle above horizon for upwards of 9-12 minutes at a time, all while not acquiring a proper amount of oxygen.

From other other claim that playing frisbee with a dog is not a sport, it can be, although more so for the dog than the person.

As I recognize that I am going off topic, I will refresh my argument.

Golf is considered a sport, yet requires a very small amount of effort compared to marching band. The same is true for curling and ping pong.

Aside from that, saying that during a practice or show all we do is walk and play simultaneously is quite absurd. Although it doesn't mean much to you, marching a 4/5 at 180 BPM ( in layman's terms, marching 5 yards in 4 steps at 180 bpm. To break it down further, you would be marching 3 steps, each of a length of 1.25 yards, in 1 second, or 3.75 yards a second, which would mean you are moving at 7.670455 miles per hour, all while still having to keep an up to 40 pound instrument from moving at all.).

Going to your point about physical exertion is all about improving ones fitness. Throughout the marching season (which started in early june), not eating or exercising any differently, I have lost over 20 pounds. In 5 months. Aside from this, the average temperature during band camp was roughly 105 degrees, without heat index. With heat index, the average was 125 degrees, all with only getting water ever 2 hours. The temperature got to 140 degrees, at which nearly 5% of the band passed out.

In conclusion, the absurd statement that you can say without a doubt something you have never done is easy and requires little physical effort completely invalidates your entire argument. You have absolutely no experience in the matter, which means any statement you make about how much effort it takes is completely opinionated, biased, and false.

Thank you for a wonderful debate.
KatDoesGoPro

Con

Additionally, what most band members don"t realize is that the same people who support marching band as a sport unknowingly contribute to labeling it as an extracurricular activity. For example, band directors (not coaches) call marching band participants "students" or "band members," not "athletes." There are no marching band "captains," they are instead referred to as "drum majors" or "section leaders." At competitions, the evaluators are called "judges," not "referees" or "officials." In Kentucky, high school marching bands are governed by the KMEA, (Kentucky Music Educators Association), the same organization that oversees vocal ensembles and symphonic band. Most importantly, marching band is not recognized by the KHSAA, NCAA, or the NOC (National Olympic Committee).

That is my final argument. Thank you for this debate.
Posted by darthcamronius 1 year ago
darthcamronius
The arguments against the marching arts being a sport are absurd. I truly don't understand why golf, baseball, and bowling are considered sports, but things like marching band and drum corps aren't. This video says more than any of us can explain. By the way, those drums weigh over 60 pounds, I don't want to hear any complaints about carrying a sousaphone, which is actually a really comfortable instrument to carry. Contras, however, weigh more than sousas (which are not 40lbs) and the method of carrying them is much more demanding than anything on the field.

https://youtu.be...
Posted by DeltaDragon 1 year ago
DeltaDragon
While I know this will not, and should not change the outcome of the debate, I would like to point out that the reason they are called drum majors and not drum captains or the such, goes back to the 1500's, when they were used in war, in order to organizes the drummers and bugle players, which were both used to give orders over a long distance. The rank Major is about the rank of Captain.
Posted by palmertio0 1 year ago
palmertio0
I'd say its more of an art.