travis18352
TheMaster_Debator

Should marijuana be legalized?

travis18352

travis18352

Pro

round 1-acceptance, simply state i accept
round 2-main arguments
round 3 and 4-rebuttal
round 5-further rebuttal and conclusion.

I will argue that marijuana should be legalized.
TheMaster_Debator

Con

I accept this debate, I will be arguing against the legalization of marijuana.
travis18352

Pro

Enforcing of marijuana and other drug laws is very expensive. Marijuana prohibition costs the federal government about 20 billions dollars a year. All that money comes out of the taxpayers pockets. http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
Even though the government spends all this taxpayer money to enforce these marijuana laws, millions of people still use marijuana daily. Every year millions of people are arrested for marijuana possession and this has caused prisons to become over populated by people arrested for smoking a rather harmless drug. Law enforcement in the United States should not be so focused on arresting people for marijuana possession but instead be focused on stopping other crimes. With millions of arrests for marijuana possession every year, how much taxpayer money does the us waste on prisons? 74 billions dollars a year. http://www.cnbc.com...
If marijuana was just legalized there would be a lot less people taking up space in federal prisons which would mean the government wouldn't have to spend so much or OUR hard earned cash keeping people locked up for a relatively harmless drug.
Marijuana is alot less dangerous than alcohol. As you hopefully know we once prohibited alcohol in the 1920s and that didnt turn out so well did it? Prohibition led to organized crime and thousands of deaths from people like Al Capone.

If the United States were to legalize marijuana the government could tax and regulate it like they do with cigarettes. This would bring in millions of dollars in tax revenue from marijuana sales. This has been seen in Colorado where they legalized marijuana in 2012. In the month of January they brought in 3.5 million dollars in tax revenue from marijuana sales. http://www.usatoday.com...
If marijuana was legal in all 50 states just think of how much money that is in one year. All this money could go to fixing a lot of real problems in the United States today.
TheMaster_Debator

Con

"Millions of people in the U.S. get arrested every year for marijuana possession, and prisons are becoming over crowded."
Cite your sources, I am pretty sure that millions of Americans are not arrested each year for marijuana possession. And it's funny that you claim that prisons are becoming over crowded, considering a recent poll shows that crime rates are decreasing. Here is my source: http://www.fbi.gov...

Also, marijuana is fine for medical purposes, so are many other drugs that would otherwise be illegal, so don't make that argument.

Marijuana should not be legal. It could be just as dangerous as alcohol, and we would have to spend even MORE money to enforce these new rules, like no "smoking" and driving.
travis18352

Pro

What I mean by "prisons are becoming over crowded" is that we have the largest prison population in the world.
http://www.nytimes.com...
I would like to correct my claim of millions are arrested every year for marijuana possession. It is actually millions are arrested on non violent drug crimes. In 2012, 749,825 people were arrested for marijuana law violations. 88 percent of those arrests were for possession. http://www.drugpolicy.org...
In 2010 853,000 people were arrested for marijuana law violations and 750 thousand of those were for possession.
http://blog.mpp.org...

I forgot to state in my opening argument that marijuana is great for medical purposes. Con tells me to cite my sources but yet he makes claims like "Marijuana should not be legal. It could be just as dangerous as alcohol, and we would have to spend even MORE money to enforce these new rules, like no "smoking" and driving." and he does not give any sources as to where he gets this claim from.
TheMaster_Debator

Con

First off, 749,825 is not "millions" so please do state correct arguments. Second off, legalizing marijuana is a danger. It's common sense, so I don't need to cite my sources.

But, since you don't believe me, here is my source: www.cspinet.org/.../enforcing.h
This pretty much tells us that under aged drinking costs us 60.3 BILLION dollars, and just for your info, that is not yet including drinking and driving costs. SO for your info 60.3 billion dollars is way more than that 20 billion you were talking about to enforce marijuana laws.
travis18352

Pro

You must have missed the part where I corrected myself in the last argument. Here is the statement I am referring to. "I would like to correct my claim of millions are arrested every year for marijuana possession. It is actually millions are arrested on non violent drug crimes. In 2012, 749,825 people were arrested for marijuana law violations. 88 percent of those arrests were for possession. http://www.drugpolicy.org...;
I tried to go to your link and I was unable to get the the page. What does underage drinking have to do with marijuana legalization?
TheMaster_Debator

Con

I think underaged drinking, and underaged pot usage will go hand-in-hand, that was my point. We have underaged alchohol problems, and we spend tons of money enforcing those laws. 60.3 billion dollars to be exact. We will spend lots of money enforcing marijuana laws for the youth, which brings me to my next point.

Do you really think introducing pot into the American society will do the youth good? When kids watch their parents smoke pot, how do you think that would change those kids? Answer my question please.
travis18352

Pro

Pot is already in the american society, millions of Americans use it everyday. It will obviously make them think its ok to use pot but if we use your logic we should make alcohol illegal as well because we don't want kids seeing their parents drink. Should we make cigarettes illegal because we don't want kids seeing their parents smoke? Millions of kids today already see their parents smoke pot. Pretty much what your saying is we need the government to take care of us so that if you don't want to use marijuana then you need these laws to ensure you don't use it. Legalizing marijuana will do no more harm to american youth than cigarettes or alcohol.
TheMaster_Debator

Con

"Pretty much what your saying is we need the government to take care of us so that if you don't want to use marijuana then you need these laws to ensure you don't use it."

I never said this, but nice try, better luck next time.

And also: you didn't answer my question. So my point still stands. Legalizing pot for medical uses is perfectly fine, but pot has no reason to be smoked just for "the heck of it." Pot is not a toy, we shouldn't play around with it.

Also, I really don't think you realize that marijuana has awful side-effects. It can double heart rate, often resulting in heart attacks, and it has been linked to mental illness. My source: http://www.drugabuse.gov... There is a reason why marijuana is illegal. It harms you. This isn't about the money, to me (although the money involved seems to be the only concern to you) I am worried about citizens health. My uncle died from a drunk driver, imagine although "high" drivers out there. Do you really think that marijuana will benefit society? I think not.
Posted by its.chandler 7 months ago
its.chandler
sometimes people just wanna get high let them
Posted by whiteflame 2 years ago
whiteflame
RFD:

There are really just a few arguments going around here, and I think Con is missing the point of many of them. So let's get started.

Cost:

This becomes a huge point of contention within the debate, but the only person I'm getting strong numbers from is Pro. From Con, I get that enforcement costs will be higher, and that marijuana legalization leads to more instances of drunk driving. These are nice assertions (and I'll get to that on the next point), but I don't get a solid idea of how much of an increase it represents to drugged driving, nor do I get any idea of what the enforcement cost increase looks like. I don't buy that another $60 billion will be added on to the costs of drugged driving, which is a pretty large claim without any warrants. I'm also buying the benefits of police stopping other crimes more easily and more often, though that could have been better explained. The benefits of taxation go cold dropped by Con.

What legalization does:

Pro argues from the outset that a ban has been ineffective, and therefore that legalization won't increase users. I never get a response to that from Con. Even if I agree that legalization makes it more generally acceptable, Con never shows how increased acceptance in society also increases usage. I never even get a solid idea of what increased acceptance actually does. Con asserts that there's some harm, but I never see what it is. As long as I'm not buying an increase in usage, all of Con's cost harms go away, since they're all dependent on that increase.

Hypocrisy:

I never get any real impact from this out of Pro. I understand that Con is, perhaps, being hypocritical in his argumentation, but if he is, so what? Why should I, as a judge, care about that?

I don't really need the hypocrisy point to vote, though. Pro is easily winning the cost issue. I'm buying that current enforcement is ineffective and therefore any harms Con cites don't exist or are to minimal to care about. Hence, I vote P
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Jifpop09
RFD (1)

Good job Travis! Lets begin with R2. Pro attacked really hard on points like the cost of upkeep for both enforcment and prison population. A lot of sources were used this round that influenced my vote. He proceeded to make an argument that it will bring in millions of revenue (On a federal scale, billions)

Cons only response in R2 was that crime rates are decreasing. Alright, but there are a million other questions I have. Is it because the prison population has increased? At any rate, this would of been a perfect time for Travis to refute that arrests of marijuana have skyrocketed 500% recently.

R3 saw a greater amount of defense coming from Travis, who solidly reinforced every one of his claims, with sources and data. In addition, he was even able to bring up new arguments. Cons only response was both repetitive and uninformative.

Nada Nada, this goes on in to the other rounds, with Travis bringing on lots of offense, and Con bringing frail defense.
Posted by travis18352 2 years ago
travis18352
i tried to add more to my last argument but for some reason ddo screwed up and it posted the argument before i was able to finish. This is the rest of my argument that didnt make it into the debate argument. Legalizing marijuana will not be a danger. Millions of Americans smoke marijuana everyday despite the marijuana laws. You have provided only a link that doesn't work to support your claim that it is dangerous to legalize marijuana.
Vote Placed by whiteflame 2 years ago
whiteflame
travis18352TheMaster_DebatorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Given in comments. Both of you had some grammatical errors, so I'm leaving S&G out. Sources go to Pro, mainly because his worked and were more essential to the debate anyway. Conduct also goes to Pro because Con, despite being "TheMaster_Debator" had some serious problems with being polite.
Vote Placed by LostintheEcho1498 2 years ago
LostintheEcho1498
travis18352TheMaster_DebatorTied
Reasons for voting decision: This became more of a fight than a debate. Try and keep it professional next time guys. Anyway, the con gave reasons that the pro could not/did not disprove, only restated his own opinion.
Vote Placed by miles-pro-libertate 2 years ago
miles-pro-libertate
travis18352TheMaster_DebatorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con seemed condescending or even downright rude at a few points in the debate. Pro made some good points about the fact that marijuana is already widely used, which I connected with because at my high school it is widespread. Overall, well done by Pro.
Vote Placed by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Jifpop09
travis18352TheMaster_DebatorTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments