bigbass3000
Black.Nite17

Should marijuana be made legal for medical purposes?

Con Tied Pro

bigbass3000

Con

The US Institute of Medicine conducted a comprehensive study in 1999 to assess the potential health benefits of marijuana and its constituent cannabinoids. The study concluded that smoking marijuana is not recommended for the treatment of any disease condition. In addition, the effects of the cannabinoids studied are generally modest, and in most cases, there are more effective medications currently available.

A number of studies have reported that the effects of smoking marijuana for people with psychological problems are profound, most significantly in young women, where rates of mental health problems were many times higher in daily cannabis users. Cannabis is bad for one's mental health and causes higher rates of depression and anxiety problems. Cannabis also triggers the onset or relapse of schizophrenia in predisposed people and also exacerbates the symptoms generally.

For the terminally ill, the use of marijuana can no longer be considered a therapeutic intervention but one of several procedures used to ease the ebbing of life of the terminally ill. However, for this purpose doctors should prescribe antiemetic and analgesic therapies of proven efficacy, rather than marijuana smoking that also causes side effects

Legalization would lead to misuse and abuses. People who are addicted to a drug are especially driven to find loopholes. In countries where marijuana has already been introduced for medical purposes, this has been the case. Legalizing marijuana would pose a bad example and trigger pressures for the legalization of other drugs

The first obligation of a state is to protect its citizens. Prosecution for possessing marijuana is a precaution to protect individual citizens and society as a whole from the negative effects of a drug.

Repeated use would lead to a psychological craving for it and thus cause psychological addiction. Marijuana by definition meets the criteria for an addictive drug; animal studies suggest marijuana causes physical dependence, and some people report withdrawal symptoms.
Black.Nite17

Pro

Well im sorry to inform you im about to run out of time and i can not give the information i currently need to inform you on how wrong you are. So in my rebuttle i will put what i need. Im sorry i was too late.
bigbass3000

Con

Whatever I want a debate, so please prove to me why i am soooooo wrong, I feel that I am right, cocky little guy aren't you.
Black.Nite17

Pro

Black.Nite17 forfeited this round.
bigbass3000

Con

I win, because ,my opponent, is just not attacking, anything and as always, you should never forfeit a round, it is a sign of weakness. Vote for me.
Black.Nite17

Pro

Black.Nite17 forfeited this round.
Posted by bigbass3000 9 years ago
bigbass3000
Secondly, am I losing because of the debate up top or the personal opinions and the debate down there.
Posted by bigbass3000 9 years ago
bigbass3000
First, people need to vote, on what happened in the debATE, NOT ON THEIR OWN OPINIONS.
Posted by Rob1Billion 9 years ago
Rob1Billion
with that off my chest, I don't see how anyone could ever successfully debate the utility of keeping ANY drugs illegal, especially Marijuana which is way less dangerous than alcohol and most prescription drugs. The fact that marijuana is illegal only goes to show you that our government has yet to get their acts together on this issue. There simply isn't a whole lot of voters that want the drug war ended, so no politicians are ready to act. Most people just want marijuana out of the hands of their children, and without thinking the situation through they figure criminalizing it must be the way to go. There isn't one person on this site or in the government or anywhere that can defeat my logic on this issue, and if they have the nerve to step up to me they are going to be defeated. These lame "gateway drug" arguments are logically useless, and our government was never intended to be used to make laws and put people in prison based on a weak argument like this. This argument is as liberal as they come, yet it is the conservative (neocons that is) that are perpetuating it the most. Most of you conservatives don't even understand what conservative means.
Posted by Rob1Billion 9 years ago
Rob1Billion
Clay: at the very top-right of the page, click "begin a new debate" and then enter in a topic and your argument and wait for someone to take it. There aren't many arguments available to take so there is hardly ever a long wait for an opponent to bite on it.
Posted by Rob1Billion 9 years ago
Rob1Billion
I completely disagree with bigbass but he gets my vote because he actually has an argument. All you ignorant wastes of sperm and eggs that just want to vote based on the topic alone should get off this site and stop voting on our debates and destroying the quality of the discourse.
Posted by ClayTrainor 9 years ago
ClayTrainor
Is there a way that i can take on this debate?

I'm new to debate.org so I'm not entirely sure exactly how it works, but i would like to take on the pro side of this debate since Black.Nite17 didn't have time.
Posted by sethgecko13 9 years ago
sethgecko13
BigBass3000 -

In addition to the fact it's nearly a decade old, the report you're referring to, "Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base" (http://www.iom.edu...), was followed by another more comprehensive IOM study titled "Marijuana as Medicine?: The Science Beyond the Controversy" which concluded this among other things:

"Symptoms, if not diseases, can be relieved by marijuana, but for most patients there are more effective approved medicines. On the other hand, the basic science suggests potential benefit from certain cannabinoids, delivered without the hazards of smoking, in combination with other drugs."

Further, the Institute of Medicine is not the only institution that has researched the health benefits of marijuana. Numerous recent studies have found a variety of benefits for marijuana:

http://www.guardian.co.uk...
http://news.bbc.co.uk...
http://www.cbc.ca...

It never ceases to amaze me how much irrational hysteria there is against researching the health benefits of marijuana, especially when the people decrying cannibis research are completely mute on the subject of misbehavior by the pharmaceutical industry which has products with less proven benefits SAIL through the FDA approval process only to end up actually killing people when they're hastily released into the marketplace without adequate testing.
Posted by Rob1Billion 9 years ago
Rob1Billion
bigbass if you want to re-present your first round to me, or challenge me to this subject, I would be happy to actually give you a debate. I feel kind of silly even asking, since you obviously aren't going to win no matter how well you present your argument. I said this before and I will say it again. The administrators of this web site have GOT to fix the voting system on here or this site is going to lose credibility real fast
Posted by Rob1Billion 9 years ago
Rob1Billion
I am reeeeeeeeally getting sick of these debates where the votes clearly go to the wrong side.
Posted by Black.Nite17 9 years ago
Black.Nite17
Once again, i'm sorry, I really dropped the ball
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
bigbass3000Black.Nite17Tied
Vote Placed by aodanu16 9 years ago
aodanu16
bigbass3000Black.Nite17Tied
Vote Placed by twinkiesunite 9 years ago
twinkiesunite
bigbass3000Black.Nite17Tied
Vote Placed by rnsweetswimn1 9 years ago
rnsweetswimn1
bigbass3000Black.Nite17Tied
Vote Placed by rnsweetheart 9 years ago
rnsweetheart
bigbass3000Black.Nite17Tied
Vote Placed by nebosleeper 9 years ago
nebosleeper
bigbass3000Black.Nite17Tied
Vote Placed by DaPofoKing 9 years ago
DaPofoKing
bigbass3000Black.Nite17Tied
Vote Placed by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
bigbass3000Black.Nite17Tied
Vote Placed by Valerie 9 years ago
Valerie
bigbass3000Black.Nite17Tied
Vote Placed by Rob1Billion 9 years ago
Rob1Billion
bigbass3000Black.Nite17Tied