cookiez4lllife
Bernabei

Should marriage be legal? Should it even exist at all?

Bernabei has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

cookiez4lllife

Con

Just to make it clear, I do believe in marriage and whatnot, just looking for a challenging argument to try and use my logic and reasoning skills to win. IF YOU ARE WILLING TO HAVE A SERIOUS, WELL THOUGHT OUT DEBATE, PLEASE COMMENT OR MESSAGE ME.
Bernabei

Pro

The legality of marriage is out of the question. Marriage is a union between two people. No laws can't prohibit this act among men and women. Now, there is the "Civil union" which is a legally "recognized" version of a marriage. But should marriage exist is like asking should trees exist.... It doesn't really ask or beg any questions. I am assuming that you are making a moral claim, that is, should people get married, or not? If I asked the question, "Should grass exist", am I really asking any question? By what standard should something exist, or not? Something that DOES exist cannot be properly debated on or even really asked about. What I mean is, if grass, or marriage DOES exist, what is one to do about it? Erase it from existence? That is why I am assuming you are more or less asking "Is marriage a good thing OR not". If I am incorrect in this premise, correct me. This is the only idea I can elicit from this kind of question.

Now on the moral aspect of marriage, yes. I do think it is beneficial for us to have these unions among people's bodies and souls. Marriages create order and a foundation for society to raise itself on. After all, the word "economy" coined by Aristotle literally means "rule of the family or household". Without marriage, children would have a dry uprising and people would be more of friends to them rather than actual valued family members. We cannot have family without marriage. This is not to say people couldn't get along without marriage, but, it is better for us to invest ourselves in each other to provide a better up bringing for our children and to formulate, upkeep, and maintain our property. This is why gays can't be married. It doesn't mean anything. They can't have kids. They are merly sexually active friends more or less. Now a mother and father relationship is better for us because, like I mentioned, it creates a foundation for our lives. A place to go when hardship comes about. A more intimate and closer bond between mothers, fathers, children, and their other respective family. Otherwise, we would be like animals. Even they have the right idea. You are better in a pact than a lone and loose cannon. Thanks man, looking forward to a timely response.
cookiez4lllife

Con

Sorry, I cannot continue the debate at this time. I have a lot of school work, but I would love to bring it back up at another time.
Bernabei

Pro

Pm me, your intelect fascinates me. Good game anyways!
cookiez4lllife

Con

"You are not accepting messages at this time"

pm me
Posted by jonathonave 1 year ago
jonathonave
I would be more than willing to engage in this. I have extensive experience with policy and value debate.
Posted by cookiez4lllife 1 year ago
cookiez4lllife
@anyone who is confused

I mean to say that two people should not spend their lives together by choice or by force, not just that laws surrounding it should be invalid. Two people should not be able to live together as a family forever. I don't mean they cannot have children, though. It would be nonsensical to argue against repopulation. Once again, I do not actually think marriage is wrong, it is just for argument's sake.
Posted by DNehlsen 1 year ago
DNehlsen
@d-baiter That line of reasoning is flawed. The question 'should marriage be legal' is independent of the current state of marriage. It is asking what the answer should be, regardless of what it is presently.
Posted by d-baiter 1 year ago
d-baiter
You have to ask should marriage should be illegal? Not legal? It's already legal and applied
Posted by DNehlsen 1 year ago
DNehlsen
I'd gladly debate on the side of Pro (for marriage).
Posted by Manarchist 1 year ago
Manarchist
If you are referring to marriage in the legal sense, I would like to debate. If you are referring to a couple simply choosing to spend their lives together, I do not believe any rational person could argue that.
Specify.
Posted by sboss18 1 year ago
sboss18
So you're arguing against the idea that marriage should exist? Are you saying it's antiquated?