BasicGamingYT
PowerPikachu21

Should micro-transactions be banned from video games?

Started: 12/1/2017 Category: Games

BasicGamingYT

Pro

Micro-transactions in video games are bad. They make games unfun, as for example, say you just played a game of TDM on COD. An ad pops up for paying to buy the next rank. Then people continue this process while playing the game. The problem is, pay to win is creeping into every game now a days, and people are continuing the same process, making game devs put micro-transactions in video games, now a days even in singleplayer games.
PowerPikachu21

Con

This is definitely an interesting debate, especially since I'm a gamer and have played a fair share of MMOs (Massive Multiplayer Online), the main area where these transactions exist.

For people who don't know, micro transactions are a function of a game, usually online multiplayer games, where you purchase a premium currency (usually diamonds or some other gem) using real money. This allows for much greater power, whether equipment or a better character.

I'll be arguing that it's a good source of income for a developer. I wish you luck.
BasicGamingYT

Pro

GL too you as well.

Anyways, the problem is with micro-transactions, as people, who are new to the spectrum of usually multiplayer games don't know what to do, and as a result, do the pay to win strategy. People then continue this trend on into the for see-able future. They buy new games, which also include the pay to win strategy, and then they tell their friends, and it spreads. Thousands of people continue this trend, and the game devs, seeing how much money they can make, now a a days put micro-transactions everywhere, such as the inclusion of loot boxes in every game, including the singleplayer game Middle Earth: Shadow of War. As well as there being loot boxes, there is also the inclusions of paid DLC, for which, everyone wants DLC, but does not want it to be paid. There also has been public outcry about micro-transactions, which is pressuring game devs to remove micro-transactions from their games, one example of which is from Star Wars Battlefront II.
PowerPikachu21

Con

While micro transactions are a widely known problem in the MMO community, they shouldn't be removed entirely.

The thing is, many MMO games are easy to get a decent enough ranking without the need of paying real money. For example, a game such as League of Angels has micro transactions, but I haven't needed, or wanted for that matter, micro transactions to progress. I admit it's been a really long time since I've played an MMO, let alone far into one.

As for newer players, lots of MMOs similar to League of Angels (which have a similar framework, check R2Games for a lot that I've played) have tutorials that explain how the game works; accept the mission, enable auto-walking, the battles play by themselves, go into your inventory to equip new weapons and armor, repeat. Relatively easy, and not needing much transactions to progress. A bit more grinding (killing enemies to get materials and ingame standard currency, usually gold), but still able to win and possibly finish the game's story.

The reason for micro transactions is, obviously, profit. A ton of MMO games are free to play (just go to any gaming site, armor games, kongregate, some MMOs have official sites), so micro trans are a main way to help willing payers progress faster. Some games are Pay2Win and have intense difficulty curves, yes, but the higher rated MMOs avoid this. Again, League of Angels is a good example I know of.

So in conclusion, micro transactions keep games free, and help players progress faster if they get impatient or want to be more powerful. These usually aren't needed, and less people play MMOs that rely on Pay2Win for progression.
BasicGamingYT

Pro

This may in part relate to net neutrality after it possibly could be dismantled.

I know of the part on how MMO games widely use the concept of micro-transactions, as it is a way people who want to progress faster in levels or exp. I'm more talking about how widely the structure is being used.

In the old days (2000s), micro-transactions were not widely used. But over the past 17 years, the use of the structure has exponentially grown. More companies are seeing the system, and they implement it into their game. They see the profit, and sometimes, they are blinded by the profit, and they push it to far. Now a days, with my recent example of Middle Earth: Shadow of War, they are implementing micro-transactions in a pure fully pledged singleplayer game. While in MMOs they are more common, now they are putting them in singleplayer games. Soon, every triple A game will include micro-transactions, not regarding what the game is based on. The only games that (hopefully) not implement this system is the indie game industry.

I'm saying that many game companies have switched over to this practice, putting it in both their multiplayer and singleplayer games. If every game included micro-transactions, people would just become use to it, and they would then purchase everything, and the game companies would implement more and more micro-transactions until games just become a "Pay for Pleasure" game.

Overall, micro-transactions are a bad game structure for video games, and people need to stop it before it gets out of control.

GL, we'll see who the winner is in the end.
PowerPikachu21

Con

I've looked at an article, and all single player games have is loot crates and better weapons. Again, it's not needed to complete the game, but helpful as a way of extra income and for faster progression.

But I think we shouldn't ban micro transactions. We should just make sure they don't make it so an entire half of a game's story is DLC.

Also, my opponent says people will get used to paying for things. There's lots of people that do use micro trans, and some that won't, like myself. Either they don't have their own credit card or just don't want to transact. And saying a game will be "pay for pleasure" in the future is a Slippery Slope fallacy. Even then, just make sure these types of games aren't made. If they are, at least hope the 1 or 2 star is the 2nd most voted ranking.
Posted by BasicGamingYT 6 months ago
BasicGamingYT
gg
Posted by whiteflame 7 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2// Mod action: Removed<

7 points to Con. Reasons for voting decision: Con by default!

[*Reason removal*] Not an RFD.
************************************************************************
Posted by PowerPikachu21 7 months ago
PowerPikachu21
Been a week since I last came here, but I am so sorry Bryan. I don't accept vote bombs. Just saying I did a "good job" doesn't merit all 7 points. And I especially don't think this debate was really one sided.
Posted by BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2 7 months ago
BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2
@PowerPikachu21 Good job!
Posted by PowerPikachu21 7 months ago
PowerPikachu21
I might as well tell a story. You know Akinator, the web genie that guesses the character you think of? I tried the app, and some characters are "VIP", and you have to pay to make sure he got it right. This is a horrible use of micro transactions. If I have to pay, make me pay to download the game. If he's about guessing characters, don't make him unable to guess my character. That's against the whole purpose of Akinator! But somehow, it's rated pretty high.

But again, games like this should be rated low and not encouraged to be made. I still approve of micro trans unless they block gameplay.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 7 months ago
PowerPikachu21
I'll admit right now, I have some experience with "Pay2Win" games, some difficulty curves larger than others.