Jacobbruce
Sarah9019a

Should minimum wage be raised?

Jacobbruce

Con

I feel like it shouldn't be raised. If you have minimum skills, education, and provide a minimum contribution to the workplace, why should you be paid more?
Sarah9019a

Pro

I accept this debate :) You can post your argument first.
Jacobbruce

Con

Thank you for accepting this debate, and thank you for letting me go first. This is why I believe raising the minimum wage is a bad idea:

Let's say milk costs $1 for a gallon and you make $1.23 a day. After taxes you come home with $1 a day. Right now you can buy 1 gallon of milk per day. Now minimum wage is raised to $18.45 a day. Now the milk man has to pay his employees $18.45 a day and to stay in business, 1 gallon of milk has to be raised to $15. Now you've moved up to a new tax bracket. Now you pay 29% instead of 23%. $18.45-29%=$13.10. Now you can't buy milk.
Sarah9019a

Pro

I affirm; Minimum wage should be raised.

Harms:
1) Current minimum wage allows for cyclical poverty. People are born into poverty and are unable to pay for higher education that could get them a non-minimum wage job, which keeps them and their descendants in poverty.
2) Unemployment rate is at a high (7.9 million people) right now, and the economy is bad.
3) Crime is occurring right now.

Inherency: USFG won't get involved in more business regulations, so no federal living wage.

Plan text: The United States federal government will require employers to provide a living wage.

Living wage is defined as an amount of money you are paid for a job that is large enough to provide you with the basic things (such as food and shelter) needed to live an acceptable life (Merriam-Webster).

Solvency:
1) Poverty. According to Suzanne Clain '07 in the Journal of Labor Research, "For the average ACS county with a population of 720,273 (in 2000), for example, living wage legislation would lift between 13,115 and 14,155 individuals out of poverty...findings provide statistically significant evidence that living wage ordinances modestly reduce poverty rates where these ordinances have been enacted." And according to Jared Bernstein '05, "Most of the benefits, about 60 percent, of a minimum wage increase flow to working families in the bottom 40 percent of the income scale."
2) Economy. According to Jana Zitzler '07, "A minimum wage also has a positive effect on employment by contributing to the stabilisation of demand. Since employees in low-wage sectors tend towards a particularly high consumption rate, a large proportion of increasing incomes due to the minimum wage flows directly into consumption. In addition, minimum wages increase the productivity of employees and reduce employee turnover, which in turn positively influences the long-term growth and employment prospects of the national economy."
3) Crime. According to Fernandez et al '04, "A policy that caused a roughly 50 percent increase in the wages for some fraction of low-wage workers is associated with a 8 percent reduction in burglaries, a 6 percent reduction in car thefts, a 4 percent reduction in robberies, and a 3 percent reduction in larceny."

My opponent's only argument is that prices would increase with the minimum wage. However, I have evidence to the contrary. Katz and Kruger (from Harvard and Princeton respectively) wrote in 1997 that "[Research] provides little evidence of relative prices increasing in those establishments with larger mandated wage increases. The results indicate that the price of a full meal tended to decline in restaurants with large mandated wage increases relative to restaurants not much affected by the minimum wage change." So actually it is likely prices would decrease, not increase.

For these reasons, I strongly urge a pro vote.
Jacobbruce

Con

Raising minimum wage will increase prices. If those who earn minimum wage want to make more money, they should get a job that makes more money. If the minimum wage was raised to,say, $12+ an hour, the unemployment rate would rise because employers would find better alternatives to people who want $12+ an hour.
Sarah9019a

Pro

First, on their argument. They claim if people earning minimum wage want more money, then they should get a different job. But, it's not that easy. Cross-apply my argument about cyclical poverty and how it is impossible to just get a different job. They claim raising minimum wage will increase prices but don't extend that argument past my previous refutation, so ignore it. They then make a new argument that the unemployment rate would rise. Turn this. Katz and Kruger '97: "In the standard monopsony model, a binding minimum wage can both increase employment and wages." I actually increase employment, so flow this to my side.

They completely dropped my entire case. I solve for poverty, crime, and the economy whereas they solve for nothing. A dropped argument means they agree, so they completely conceded my solvency.

Even if you buy that employment would go down and prices would go up, solving for poverty still outweighs on magnitude--it impacts more people more--and probability--I have solvency evidence while they don't.

For these reasons, please vote pro! Thank you.
Posted by Political.Questioneer 1 year ago
Political.Questioneer
oops again meant pro 4-0
Political.Questioneer
I have to say I am a little disappointed in the cons argument there were so many points he could refute and brought up for example if minimum wage was raised companies would try to invest in a cheaper option either by outsourcing jobs or investing in technology to do human jobs.
Political.Questioneer
oops meant pro 5-0
Posted by John_C_1812 1 year ago
John_C_1812
Minimum wage is raised every day by the people and companies who own and pay a State and Federal registration fee to making the judgment.