pi3.14
jackgilbert

Should minimum wage be taken away (put at $0.00)?

jackgilbert has forfeited round #2.
Started: 1/29/2018 Category: Economics

pi3.14

Pro

First round is acceptance. Please no cursing or wishing harm upon me or wishing somebody harm. I look forward to debating you if you keep it civil!
jackgilbert

Con

I accept this debate and wish my opponent good luck :)
pi3.14

Pro

First off, thanks for accepting this and good luck! I believe that minimum wage should eventually be taken away (if you didn't know that already) slowly (so it doesn't mess up the economy by taking it away all at once). Minimum wage is bad because it gives employers more expenses. Some places will go out of business because of this, or they will have to raise income another way. They could raise prices, which would make the customers unhappy and less likely to go there again, further cutting the income the employer gets. Then, the employer could lay off people and make the business smaller. The laid off people would have a hard time finding a new job because of their minimal experience and other employers have the problem too and are laying off workers. They may decide to buy robots instead of cashiers for example because robots don't take days off and don't get sick and don't have to eat and dont have to sleep and most importantly don't need to get paid. Employers will see this, and inevitably buy more robots. Employers might even cut other benefits like healthcare from the employees to cut their costs which hurts the empoyees financially instead of helping them. This stuff happens every time there is a minimum wage increase. Some small companies go out of business entirely and some bigger ones choose to move to go to a lower minimum wage area to increase profits. Secondly, if minimum wage is taken away, employers should keep paying their current employees the same rice, but they should pay the new ones less so that they can cut some of their costs. This way, current employees can still live off what they get and aren't really affected. Anyway, those are most of my main points, so it is now your turn. Good luck and I hope to maybe change your mind!
Posted by pi3.14 3 months ago
pi3.14
If you take away minimum wage, the employers don't have as much expense meaning they can lower their prices, so the workers don't need as much pay because everything is cheaper.
Posted by cakerman 3 months ago
cakerman
Refer to industrializing America for a perfect example of why this is a terrible idea, the minimum wage put in place keeps stability in the lives of the average worker who needs to make his living