ForestMan777
aethers66

Should moonshine be legalized?

ForestMan777

Pro

Hey, I wish to argue if moonshine (That is, illegally distilled liquor, usually of corn or such grains) should be legalized and the government does not interfere with it. I am on the pro-legalization side. I'll let you start off first, but thanks in advance to whoever starts.
aethers66

Con

I think That Moonshine should not be legal in the US or anywhere alcohol is a bad thing and no i'm not religious. Anyways there is enough people in the world that are idiotic drunks running around. And liquor is bad for you and homemade is even worse. So no moonshine should not be legalized.
ForestMan777

Pro

I appreciate you debating my good man (or woman)... But I still am not completely convinced by the notion that just because "it's bad for ya" is a good enough reason to ban X, Y, or Z. Cigarettes are legal and they're bad for you. Lots of pesticides are bad for you, but they're still legal. Twinkies are really bad for you, but they're... do I need to continue? And on your claim of "liquor is bad for you and homemade is even worse", firstly; citation needed. Liquor being homemade doesn't by itself make it any more or less dangerous. Even though it's unlikely for a big company, a batch can be made bad, although they probably would just trash it if id didn't measure up, similarly a home batch can be made perfectly. My point? Where it's made doesn't matter as much as how it gets made. Secondly, most distillers started out as "homemade" operations, like the great Jasper Newton Daniel, better known as Jack Daniel, started out as a home distiller. Lastly, you obviously didn't learn a thing from Prohibition. Banning something doesn't make it go away, it just drives it underground and it becomes dangerous and dirty and if Prohibition and bans actually work, then why don't we just make meth and heroin illegal? Oh, wait... We did, it didn't work, but back to moonshine. Banning moonshine didn't make it go away, it just drove it underground and into the barns and back sheds of the backwoods. I just think the government shouldn't have the authority to tell us that we can make wine, we can make beer, we can make mead, but we can't make whiskey. I'd love to see your responses. The floor is yours.
aethers66

Con

damn your good to good in fact i don't want to say this but you win cant think of a way to combat that
ForestMan777

Pro

ForestMan777 forfeited this round.
aethers66

Con

aethers66 forfeited this round.
ForestMan777

Pro

ForestMan777 forfeited this round.
aethers66

Con

aethers66 forfeited this round.
Posted by V5RED 1 year ago
V5RED
Things Con should have said to Pro's arguments:

Banning moonshine is NOT prohibition. The regulations force manufacturers to meet reasonable standards before offering their products to the public. Without these regulations, there would be no way to know if what you were about to buy was good liquor or poison. Moonshine still exists, but it is a minor fringe of the liquor sales.

The examples of illegal drugs are flawed. Of course they are still used, but that is not the point. Moonshine bans are not about stopping alcohol use, they are about making sure manufacturers don't push poison on the public. If heroin were legalized, it would likely be regulated and one would need a licence to sell and manufacture it. Street heroin would still be both illegal and highly dangerous relative to the legal version.
Posted by Berend 1 year ago
Berend
Of course. Prohibition does not work.
Posted by V5RED 1 year ago
V5RED
Pro, do you think you should be made to pay the medical bills for people if your products contain toxic impurities?
Posted by DATXDUDE 1 year ago
DATXDUDE
Yeah, you can make beer and wine, but I think you have to be a pretty big company to create whiskey or other more dangerous alcoholic beverages.
Posted by Bennett91 1 year ago
Bennett91
Moonshine is legal if you have a license to make it. The premise of this debate boils down to "should illegal distilleries be legal?" the answer of course is no.
Posted by n7 1 year ago
n7
I was about to say the same thing, DATX.
Posted by DATXDUDE 1 year ago
DATXDUDE
It's ironic because his profile is a confederate flag.