1Alyssa
iamanatheistandthisiswhy

Should national sovereignty come before human rights?

iamanatheistandthisiswhy

1Alyssa

Pro

Yes, this debate is referring to the current policy of the United Nations.
Should national sovereignty prevail above human rights abuse? Or should it be vice versa?
Rules-
I would appreciate if my opponent could refrain from using religious references as his/her main argument. With that being said, the usage of religious quotes is alright if my opponent intended to use it to strengthen an already existent point.
For the purpose of learning, I have taken the pro side of this debate. Anyone who is willing to contribute is welcomed to join. Comments are highly encouraged.
May the debate begin!
iamanatheistandthisiswhy

Con

I gladly accept this challenge from my opponent, and I hope I can give some insight into this issue.

As a start,I can honestly say that there is not one case where I think national sovereignty should come before human rights. I also assume my opponent is talking about universal human rights in this debate as it has to do with the United Nations stance.

I hand it over to my opponent to get the debate rolling.
1Alyssa

Pro

1Alyssa forfeited this round.
iamanatheistandthisiswhy

Con

My opponent has for some reason forfeited the round, as such let me give a few examples of why I believe national sovereignty should not come before human rights. These may not be considered national sovereignty by some, however they are as they are they are state sanctioned even if they are not always cultural. Additionally culture changes with time, so we could in effect say these examples are cultural.

In Saudi Arabia women are not allowed to drive, in effect this is stripping women in that country of the ability to effectively do certain jobs. I know in Saudi Arabia women are not often working outside of the home in the first place but that is another issue.

In South Korea there are Internet bans on North Korean propaganda and pornography. In effect the government is deciding your morality and political choices. The excuse used is that the countries are still at war, but how can a democracy claim to be free when they have laws like this in place.

In multiple countries (i.e. South Africa, U.S.A) affirmative action is a tolerated business practice. But this goes against human rights as not everyone has the same rights to get a job.

Then there are obviously the restrictions of states enforced by religion, but I will leave that for another round of debate.

I hand it over to my opponent to explain why any of the above examples can possibly be considered above human rights.

1Alyssa

Pro

1Alyssa forfeited this round.
iamanatheistandthisiswhy

Con

Again my opponent has forfeited the round. As such I extend my arguments.
1Alyssa

Pro

1Alyssa forfeited this round.
iamanatheistandthisiswhy

Con

I am sad to say that I think my opponent will not be saying anything further in this debate.

So if I just may add to my earlier comments. National sovereignty should not come ahead of human rights after all if we cannot respect humans how can we expect them to respect their own country.
1Alyssa

Pro

1Alyssa forfeited this round.
iamanatheistandthisiswhy

Con

Oh well this was a waste of a debate. Vote for me I suppose.
Vote Placed by Numidious 3 years ago
Numidious
1AlyssaiamanatheistandthisiswhyTied
Reasons for voting decision: I can't stand forfeits...