Andrew_mil
AlwaysRight12345

Should obese individuals be judged?

Andrew_mil

Pro

Should obese individuals be judged? Judged in not the sense of being extremely humiliated. The victims I'm speaking about are the ones that willingly eat themselves to death. I will not use the term 'overweight' because bodybuilders are also 'overweight.' When individual think of obese people being judged, they tend to say that the denouncer is always degrading tearing down the already weak victim's self esteem. But obese individuals don't just one day wake up obese, it's a choice that they make in the past. And doesn't anyone think that the fit individuals' also called "ignorant a**holes" whose work at the gym is being degraded because it's okay to obese now?

Some obese people will turn their lives around when their judged for their weight and not only exercise to get that fit body, but also to be healthy. You can't encourage individuals to not to get healthy. It's a known fact Coronary Heart Disease including hypertension will develop over some period of time.

And speaking of their self esteem hitting the ground when they can't execute basic things like tying their shoe laces without breathing difficulty and exhaustion. With that back pain of all that weight resting on the lumbar vertebrae of course along knee and hip replacements. I strongly believe that criticism is good as long as it doesn't turn into discrimination.
AlwaysRight12345

Con

My opponent seems to think that obesity is always a full choice. First, nobody wants to be fat. It's not a "choice that they make in the past." Some people just have a slow metabolism or bad willpower, and some people may have a serious disease. To judge someone solely because they have a slow metabolism is ridiculous.

Positive effects MAY appear, but another option could be serious depression. "Criticism" here is just a vehicle for unwarranted bullying, which can result in suicide. My opponent proposes causing a person to kill themselves because they have a slow metabolism. This is a ridiculous claim that should not be carried.

My opponent's thinking is that if someone doesn't like another person's lifestyle, they should punish them for it. Let's list a couple examples of this in history: The Holocaust, The Spanish Inquisition, 9/11, the Native Americans* and the discrimination of gays, blacks, Asians, Muslims, Jews, and pretty much anyone else who's not a white American Christian male.

I know he said that the situation he proposes is not discrimination but merely "criticism," but that's where it's heading. Already he has been cruel. Let's use some quotes:

"They can't execute basic things like tying their shoe laces without breathing difficulty and exhaustion."
"It's okay to obese now?"
"You can't encourage individuals to not to get healthy."

In conclusion, my opponent proposes outright discrimination against another minority which should NOT be encouraged.

*In reference to the settlers killing off most of them and shoving the rest of them off of their own sacred grounds. (If you have no idea what this is, it is an extension of the discrimination of the Native Americans as referenced in my third paragraph).
Andrew_mil

Pro

Andrew_mil forfeited this round.
AlwaysRight12345

Con

My opponent has forfeited the last round, so all my points flow through. I will refrain from posting anything new unless he comes back next round. Otherwise, as I have refuted all of his points and all of mine have flown through, I win this debate on all fronts.
Andrew_mil

Pro

Andrew_mil forfeited this round.
AlwaysRight12345

Con

AlwaysRight12345 forfeited this round.