luckymary
Logan94

Should obese people pay more for health insurance than normal weight people ?

luckymary

Pro

(I would like to appreciate if someone join my debate since i am using it for my school essay paper for extra credit. I will give a prize for the person who joins me, money up to 20 dollars or a any prize that worth 20 dollars)
Thank you)
Having obese people pay a higher insurance premium benefits them as well. In order to avoid paying the extra money, those people will start working out to lose weight and become healthier. Implementing penalties for obese people who are not making any improvement is very reasonable and effective in tackling the obesity epidemic. Those implementations will tackle the problem from the source. The principle was that positive behavior is supported by removing a negative outcome or aversive stimulus. In this case, exercising and losing weight, positive behaviors, are strengthened by removing the penalty, which is the negative outcome. So the payment is indirectly motivating them to make healthier choices.
Logan94

Con

Obesity is an issue in America. The only difference i have with my opponent is how to tackle that problem. The solution to obesity is not making them pay more for healthcare. This is completely ridiculous, and should not even have to be debated. If you charge obese people extra, are you going to give discounts to anorexic people? This is discrimination to people with obesity, and also what about people with genetic problems when it comes to obesity. obesity is an issue but this is not a solution
luckymary

Pro

I understand your point but Implementing penalties for obese people who are not making any improvement is very reasonable and effective in tackling the obesity epidemic. Those implementations will tackle the problem from the source, since they deal with child obesity as well as adult obesity. Also if people in America eat the amount they are supposed to, it means people in Africa will not starve to death. Which is why having obese people pay a higher insurance premium will lower insurance premium rates for the majority of the population and will motivate those who are unhealthy to become healthy.
Logan94

Con

No it would not help the obesity, it would just create a bunch of lawsuits. Also, you know at the beginning of all important documents or work related documents where it says we shall not discriminate on gender, age, race, sexuality, and or ethnicity. Discrimination is illegal in the United States and we have many laws implementing that, but yet you contend to discriminate on weight. That is completely absurd. America is a free country and if people want to be fat, IT IS THEIR RIGHT. wiht this proposal you are trying to take their rights away. Also, i forgot that all the food in America that was not eaten magically flies over to Africa, my bad. and this will not affect premium rates for a majority of americans, because the businesses will not lower premiums. Your insurance is like a contract, it won't be lowered unless it is written in policy that it will. Vote Con and dont discriminate, and protect Americans rights. Also my opponent has not addressed the issue of the people with genetic diabetes.
luckymary

Pro

luckymary forfeited this round.
luckymary

Pro

luckymary forfeited this round.
Logan94

Con

he does not want to participate

vote con
luckymary

Pro

luckymary forfeited this round.
Logan94

Con

Vote CON!!
Posted by Unity 4 years ago
Unity
Sorry I am not in the right position to debate this with you. However I do want to say that, though I agree with your ideas, you also have to think of those who are genetically obese or have medical issues, not due to their obesity but instigating it.
Posted by luckymary 4 years ago
luckymary
I would like to appreciate if someone join my debate since i am using it for my school essay paper for extra credit. I will give a prize for the person who joins me.
Thank you