Darklordcomp
crazygwen

Should openly gay men and boys be allowed in Boy Scouts of America

Darklordcomp

Con

The round structures should be as followed:
R1: Starting Remarks, and opening statements
R2: Argument
R3: Rebuttals
R4: Closing statements.

I am against Openly gay scouts and scout masters being able to join. I believe it would be a bad decision and goes against the Scout Oaths and Law, along with many of the parents and boys moral beliefs.
crazygwen

Pro

There is no reason for them not to be allowed in. They follow the scout oath and law just as much as anyone else. Being gay does not stop them from being trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, or reverent. It could be argued that they can't be reverent, however I know people who are religious and gay. Being gay does not mean they can't do there duty to god, help strengthen America, help other, be physically strong, mentally awake and morally strait. The morally strait probably refers to not drinking and not smoking more than sexual preference. And in a 1965 version of the Boy Scout Handbook says under Duty to God "what is your obligation to God? What is your obligation o your church? To believe in God? Of course-but more than that:To prove your faith in your daily deed, to follow the teachings of your parents and religious leaders" That leaves a lot of room to interpretation, and basically means if you believe in God and are doing what you feel you should be, then you are following your duty to god.
Darklordcomp

Con

But your argument is flawed, While I do agree that they can be as much a scout as straight boys, The problem is is that people complain that BSA is Anti-Gay because they won't allow gays and are discriminating against them, but being gay is a decision and a circumstantial thing, You are not born gay, through events in your life you decide to be gay. Their are times when gays stop being gay and when straights stop being straight. It is well within the BSA's Right as a Private Organization to deny entry to ANYONE the organization believes goes against there values, they can deny gay scouts and scouters because the act of homosexuality does goes against the Christian founding of the organization, BSA was founded on the beliefs of Christianity and while it does respect and adhere to other religions, it is a Christian organization. While Christians don't hate gays, they do believe that the act of homosexuality goes against the word of God and in a sense is without reverence. Being Reverent towards your God means following whatever Rules and Laws your Deity has placed for you, in Islam you would be KILLED for being a Homosexual.

Leviticus 18:22 - "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable."

Boys are cruel creatures, they will bully and be mean to anyone they think is different and I can name a few boys including myself in our troop who have been picked on and made fun of. The bottom line is, is that while gays can complain about it all they want and bitch and moan it shouldn't be aloud. It impedes on the BSA's Right to deny entry to those who break their beliefs and it brings a great risk to the Gays who join and risk being made fun of.
crazygwen

Pro

The fact BSA has that right is a very good argument, but that is not what I am debating. I am debating if there is any reason why they should not be allowed in besides the fact some one doesn't want them in it, not whether or not BSA have the right to deny them. While it is a Christen based organization, you yourself have told me that God loves all his children. While it may be hard to believe, different people do interpret God's laws, rules and wishes differently. No one can be sure of what God's laws, rules, and wishes are unless they talk directly to God.

We are in America not Islam. We have a different society then them overall. And I refuse to argue for or against the bible because I have not read it. You say that people are not born gay. No not everyone who is gay, is born that way, however there are people who are naturally attracted to the same sex from the first time they can feel that way.

Yes, boy are cruel so are human beings. Human beings are cruel creatures themselves and will pick on any for any reason what so ever. I have been picked on, both jokingly and not, about my hair color or taste of music, and other things. They need to grow a thicker skin if they plan to make it in life. And have you ever thought that if they let gays in boy scouts, sooner it won't be such a "bad" thing to be gay.
Darklordcomp

Con

Darklordcomp forfeited this round.
crazygwen

Pro

crazygwen forfeited this round.
Darklordcomp

Con

Darklordcomp forfeited this round.
crazygwen

Pro

crazygwen forfeited this round.