kenanhafeel
Rational_Thinker9119

Should originality always be favoured above conformity

kenanhafeel

Pro

Originality or an aspect of created or invented works, from fragments and shards, should always be favoured over blind acceptance. My argument focused on the fact that originality, above all resolves in toil and hard work to persist an accurate, yet an out of the ordinary response to create a genuine infrastructure.
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

"Originality or an aspect of created or invented works, from fragments and shards, should always be favoured over blind acceptance."

The above comment is just restating the resolution, rather than actually supporting the resolution. For this reason, the above is not sufficient support.

"My argument focused on the fact that originality, above all resolves in toil and hard work to persist an accurate, yet an out of the ordinary response to create a genuine infrastructure."

The resolution states that originality should always be favored. What if you are going to get jailed for not paying taxes? Obviously, this would not be favored by most humans. This is why most people conform and pay taxes when they are told, instead of being "original" and not paying taxes (not paying taxes is not favorable, because of the hit it would put on infrastructure and social programs). Because I named a situation where originality would not be favored over conformity, the resolution has been negative because it says originality is always favored.
kenanhafeel

Pro

The argument that you have presented has formed quite an impression on myself, however I would personally like to remind you that conformity does not always fall into practice when dealing with concepts and theories, as well as real life senerios and desisions. Meaning that though daily obligations that are due need not have a singular method. Focalizing on that point, I would like to bring up the case of the invention of aviation. The Wright brothers, a bifold of dreamers who believed in another method of transportation. Their persistency and dedication towards a goal that was original and not conforming to previous structures and models that faltered in their own fashion. The result was a primordial yet effective model that proved itself as a worthy invention and beginning in the world of aviation. Based on this evidence I present the statement that originality should always be favoured above conformity.
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

"The argument that you have presented has formed quite an impression on myself, however I would personally like to remind you that conformity does not always fall into practice when dealing with concepts and theories, as well as real life scenarios and decisions. Meaning that though daily obligations that are due need not have a singular method."

The above has no bearing on the resolution.

"Focalizing on that point, I would like to bring up the case of the invention of aviation. The Wright brothers, a bifold of dreamers who believed in another method of transportation. Their persistency and dedication towards a goal that was original and not conforming to previous structures and models that faltered in their own fashion. The result was a primordial yet effective model that proved itself as a worthy invention and beginning in the world of aviation. Based on this evidence I present the statement that originality should always be favoured above conformity."

Naming one situation where originality is better, does not show that originality is always better. That is a non-sequitir. All I needed was one example where not being "original" is favored, in order to show that originality isn't always to be favored over conformity. Since my example has not been refuted, the resolution has been negated.
kenanhafeel

Pro

kenanhafeel forfeited this round.
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

Interesting.
Posted by kenanhafeel 3 years ago
kenanhafeel
Rational_Thinker9119, sorry for the forfit of the third round. I couldn't get time on hand to complete it.
Posted by hfordney 3 years ago
hfordney
A point that needs clarification is whether were talking about originality and conformity in the realm of ideas or in the realm of social life. The first in the sense that everyone here seems to be talking about or the second in the sense that we should or should not conform ourselves to the needs of others in the pursuance of a social common good. I bring this up because I dont see how conformity could be argued in the realm of ideas - perhaps in the sense that sticking to "the road more travelled" will get you into less trouble
Posted by GeekiTheGreat 3 years ago
GeekiTheGreat
Of course originality is better then blindly following.
Posted by kenanhafeel 3 years ago
kenanhafeel
So, which of you will accept my debate?
Posted by wshadwel 3 years ago
wshadwel
i didnt mean to post that twice i am truly sorry about that :/
Posted by wshadwel 3 years ago
wshadwel
i would have to say that originality should always be favored over conformity. if every one tried to fit into the cookie cutter molds then people would be to worried about conforming instead of forming their own views and ideas. it wasnt long ago that every one thought the world was the center of the universe and some crazy person said idk maybe the sun is. that surly was an original idea at the time and the general population must have thought he was crazy because he refused to fit into the mold and formed his own ideals. so straight to the point if every one conformed to the popular conformisms then we would not be as far as a society as we are today(as messed up as we are today, but thats a discussion for another day) society needs originality to advance.
Posted by wshadwel 3 years ago
wshadwel
Posted by kenanhafeel 3 years ago
kenanhafeel
A good argument for that side probably.
Posted by bossyburrito 3 years ago
bossyburrito
Conformity for the sake of conformity or conformity because of good arguments for that side?