sigh
Kwhite7298

Should owning a Pitbull be illegal?

Kwhite7298

sigh

Con

I personally disagree with the idea of owning a Pitbull dog being illegal. The only reason why pitbulls are seen with such a nasty image is because of the owners. They see the capability of the dog, and the harm they can do, and use them for things such as dog fights. That doesn't mean that the dog itself is vicious and causes harm to everything in their way.
Kwhite7298

Pro

My dog was attacked last week by a pitbull, so I did research on the breed.

Contention 1: Pitbulls pose a danger to children
Can you run at 25-30 miles per hour? Can a five year old child? No, they can't, and you probably can't, or else you'd be training for the olympics right now. Pitbulls can, which is why they pose such a threat. Additionally, they weigh up to 110lbs -- making them a threat to children. They have a bite force of 250psi and have (AS A BABY) 28 teeth[2], so yes, one bite is in fact about 7000psi per bite. [1] In Rocky IV, Ivan Drago registers a 2,150psi punch. If Ivan Drago, or any human, were to punch a five year old kid, they would be in jail in a heartbeat. An animal with the capability of 3x the damage in one bite should not be legal. Pitbulls are also "child-size". They can be up to 19" tall at the shoulder. [3] Five-year old kids are, on average, 40" tall and weigh 41lbs. [4] Pitbulls weigh up to 110 [1]. The pitbulls can knock down a child. Hell, my old cavalier king charles spaniel knocked down my five year old cousin. That dog weighed 20 lbs. Pitbulls, unfortunately, are dangerous around children -- especially young ones.

Contention 2: Pitbulls are close to invincible
Pitbulls stop bleeding faster than other dogs. Pitbulls have a high pain tolerance. [5] Pitbulls, as stated before, can run at 25-30mph. The old kick-the-dog trick doesn't work. Additionally, people are intimidated by pitbulls, which only adds to the stress. Homeowners insurance goes up if you own a pitbull. People are far less likely to stop a pitbull from attacking a kid than a chihuahua.

Contention 3: These dogs can't be monitored
As you said, it's not always the dog -- it's the owner. Well, it's not practical to check every house, every owner, every day, nevertheless pay someone to do it. Americans would not pay to hire people to check pitbulls. It's easier to outlaw them, which is why they should be outlawed.

Thank you for starting this debate, I feel like this could be an interesting one.

1 -- http://www.weirdexistence.com...
2 -- http://www.vcahospitals.com...
3 -- http://www.akc.org...
4 -- http://www.disabled-world.com...
5 -- http://www.pitbulladvocate101.com...
sigh

Con

Thank you for your response.

I understand your point of views completely, but I doubt the dog will attack just to attack. They must be provoked right.. or at last what I have seen. I had a neighbor once, who owned a pitbull. The owner was very sincere, sweetest person ever. The pitbull he owned, wasn't as vicious as people describe them. The owner gave me background information about the dog; she was abused. When she took the dog in her care, she was scared , yes , due to the descriptions, but she was sure to treat the dog with care that she would treat a little Shih-Tzu.
On the other hand, there was another guy who owned a pitbull. He gave you the "Thug" impression. You would see him in his front yard telling his dog to go "Attack" his friends that came over. They all thought it was a joke, but it wasn't funny to the neighbors around. Eventually, someone called the cops and the dog was taken away. And so was the dog of the sincere owner who never showed her dog an act of violence towards others.
I understand that the dogs can run very fast, thank you for your sources. But other dogs can as well. Greyhounds can reach speeds up to and exceeding 45 mph in three strides. Much faster. And they are also very energetic and competitive animals; known from experience. But they are not trained for attacking, for they're very skinny limp looking dogs. They are trained for running races and all similar. Since pitbulls have the little pudgy attacking look, guess what they're usually trained for?... Attacking.

Pitbulls shouldn't be illegal, they just need to be under good care. Their owner needs to know what they are doing, and be aware of what they're working with. Also be able to show the dog who is the leader in the house. You can't just let a dog step all over you. If you treat the dog with respect, loyalty , and all the care it needs, it will do the same. You can tell me a million times it's in their nature to attack or due harm , but it really isn't.

If pitbulls become illegal, think of how many families would be torn apart just because of the loss of their pet. Their beloved pet who has never done anything to anyone, but has the image of a killer because of personas created by disgusting people. Putting those dogs out there to kill. There's this one story, my favorite story, of a pitbull who saved this child's life. I will list it at the end as a source.

Most Pitbull breed dogs are usually abused, since you said , they don't bleed much as other dogs. Less mess to clean up right? Due to the abuse, they attack. They're scared of humans because they don't know what can happen to them. If they see a child run towards them of course they're going to do something; they don't know that that child is thinking "Oh what a cute puppy!" It's just that the human/humans they've been in contact with have harmed them.

Rottweilers were the "Dangerous Dog" that no one should own. Or when Doberman, German Shepherds, Akita, Husky, Great Danes, Saint Bernard, and quite a few other large breeds were in the same category. When I was 4 I believe, I had a rottweiler. The sweetest dog you can ever meet. That is because whenever he would growl, my dad firmly said "Bear NO." Bear then learned that growling or biting wasn't good. It wasn't something he needed to do. He went everywhere with me and protecting me from anything. I was drowning once, I will never forget this, I was little (about 5) and didn't really know how to swim. I went in without permission (Little rebel at that) so my parents were unaware. I was drowning, didn't know what to do. Guess who came in to get me? My rottweiler. My "big evil vicious" dog jumped into the water without hesitation and did his best to pull me up. As much as he hated water, he did it. Know why? Because I have never hit him, never yelled at him no matter what he did, and neither did the rest of my family. We treated him like another baby of ours. He was know by the neighbors as Baby Bear. That's another example of how personas of a dog is based on the training that the owner provides the dog.

http://www.greyhoundexpressions.org...

http://www.pitbullgear.com...
Kwhite7298

Pro

Kwhite7298 forfeited this round.
sigh

Con

sigh forfeited this round.
Kwhite7298

Pro

Kwhite7298 forfeited this round.
sigh

Con

sigh forfeited this round.
Kwhite7298

Pro

Kwhite7298 forfeited this round.
sigh

Con

sigh forfeited this round.
Kwhite7298

Pro

Kwhite7298 forfeited this round.
Posted by Dontbullymybreed 3 years ago
Dontbullymybreed
Pitbulls should be legal. Why would you guys judge the breed and not the deed? It could be any breed. AND you pick mine?? SHoot. I have three pitbulls, know how they attack?? They lick you. They love anybody and everybody unless you are trying to harm me. Wich is a really good dog. Pitbulls, of all the dogs ive had, are the most loyal. They pick you and love you forever, like most dogs. Pitbulls choose you over everything, I believe if it aint pit it aint shiz. Have you ever raised a pitbull? I CHALLENGE you to raise one. And id bet money you couldn't tell me you hate it. You just cant, youd love it forever. Ive had friends hate pitbulls, till they meet mine.
Posted by Kwhite7298 4 years ago
Kwhite7298
Sorry that I forfeitted the other rounds -- my internet was down. Please vote acknowledging that my arguments posted hold through the other rounds.

Thanks.
Vote Placed by MattHarrison 4 years ago
MattHarrison
sighKwhite7298Tied
Reasons for voting decision: In the end, con made more convincing arguments and had better sources.