Comic1120
Leaning

Should parents be allowed to break up their child's year long relationship?

Comic1120 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

Comic1120

Con

I have been in a relationship with a great guy for a little over a year now and for the first time we did something "bad". It was finals week and neither of our sixth period classes had plans for finals, they even announced so, so we "skipped" and went to a different classroom that also had no plans. My sixth period teacher announced THAT DAY that she had surprise finals for us. Since I wasn't there, I couldn't take it. My teacher called up my parents and my mom started calling me a disappointment and stupid, accusing my boyfriend and I of skipping to do sexual activities and told me to break up with my boyfriend and that she's switching my schools and will disconnect my phone
Leaning

Pro

I would say yes. I am not saying you in particular, but sometimes people can make poor decisions in regards to relationships. As parents are in a role that is all about guiding/assisting their children in life. You are capable of your own decisions and judgment but until you are older, living on your own, supporting yourself. I would say they have a right to overrule yours. In most cases.

Insulting someone or making accusations toward them, generally isn't really a constructive way to go about helping them or convincing them that you have their best interest in heart I admit.
Posted by MRAAJ 2 weeks ago
MRAAJ
Depends a number of factors, example in strict religious families freedom is limited, because they value tradition and status. On the other hand, in a dysfunctional family, a parent may fear losing their child. In some cases kids can be thrown out for choosing a lover over family. I think, if confident enough, the child needs to sit down w/ their parents and express gratitude for tradition (as old people are stuck in their ways) but at the same time tell them why you love said lover, instead of arguing. If that fails, I don't know.