uma_s
O_C

Should parents be allowed to home school their children?

O_C

uma_s

Con

I believe that parents should not be able to home school their children. One reason I believe this is because parents are not qualified to teach. Teachers have to go through five years of university to be qualified to teach. Parents that home school go through none. Children taught through home schooling might have a weaker foundation because their parents do not understand the curriculum they are teaching. Some may argue that people have special needs to attend to and can't go to a traditional school. I agree that this is the case with some students. However I believe parents should hire a private tutor that is familiar with the curriculum and is trained to teach.
O_C

Pro

I believe that children should be allowed to be home schooled. There are many reasons why I think this. For example, Freedom of Religion is part of Americans' First Amendment rights. If a family had religious beliefs that opposed what is taught in public schools, then it is their First Amendment right to home school their children using a curriculum that allows them to follow their religion. Some people might say that parents are not qualified to educate their children. However, it has been shown that hard work and dedication are a bigger part of education than training. Also, even if home schooled children are taught by "unqualified" parents, they still score as well or better on mandatory state tests.This shows that they are just as well educated as any student at a public school.
uma_s

Con

I agree that having a religion apposed to a nearby school may cause you to avoid that school. However there are schools with no specific or assigned religion. It is your right to attend a school with no assigned religion. You also have a right not to participate in this part of the school day. Another thing to consider is that many schools have free extra curricular activities after school. This includes learning a sport and joining a team, art classes, learning an instrument, and many other options. If your child is not in a school they may miss out on these activities. Some people say that kids can attend outside classes. This is a valid argument. However, many parents cannot afford to send their children to many classes so their child cannot learn these skills. Another reason not to home school your child is that they will not be in contact with other children and will not develop strong social skills which are vital in a work environment.
O_C

Pro

While it is true that schools are secular and will not force children to be a certain religion, there is more than one reason why someone may be home schooled. For example, some children have medical needs that literally prevent them from going to school. If home schooling was not allowed, what would happen to these kids? Would they be expected to miss out on their education? Also, though it is true that home schooled kids don't interact with other kids in a school environment, it doesn't mean that they will be lacking in social skills or that they will be too sheltered to function in the outside world. Society is pervasive. There is no way to shield a child so much that they would have no idea what's going on. Plus, a lot of kids who are home schooled actually have difficulty in social situations at school. If a kid is bullied a lot, then it's the natural next step to home school them so they don't have to deal with the everyday emotional stress they would experience. At the end of the day, I do agree that home schooling is a controversial topic that has no clear cut right answer. However, I do believe that with proper monitoring and curriculum, parents can home school kids and successfully raise intelligent, aware citizens who can contribute to society.
Posted by Stonehe4rt 11 months ago
Stonehe4rt
Though I do have to agree, It is a must for a home schooled child to partake in activities like sports or music or whatever, they need to actively get out of the house and learn how to do things and learn who they are. I personally kinda took this route, heavy in sports while being homeschooled, get the social interactions and the better learning style.
Posted by Stonehe4rt 11 months ago
Stonehe4rt
As for the "bully" Many kids are put into public school and are bullied and never learn how to handle it, However if raised at home, a child can develop a personality free from peer pressure, and they can develop an individual stance they are confident in and aren't afraid to fight for it. Public school children are of course much more likely to be bullied, however I have never been bullied in my life no matter what school I have gone to. So really Home Schooling has helped me in every way possible. I actually did more "policing" against bullies in my schools that I had gone to.
Posted by Stonehe4rt 11 months ago
Stonehe4rt
As to subject to where I live: I have lived in Florida, Montana, North Carolina, Michigan, then Back to Florida. Tried a Public school at each. They were all below average kids who were obviously mentally held back by the schools themselves and their teaching styles.
Posted by dude100 11 months ago
dude100
The people of my family also have a few mottos such as "street smarts are just as important as school smarts," and "don't be sorry be smart"
Posted by dude100 11 months ago
dude100
I would also like to stress the importance of a child being able to handle the situation with a bully. Bullying isn't limited to just children it's in the adult world to. If a child doesn't learn the proper way to handle a bully when they're young, they may not be able to handle one as an adult. In fact this is the reason why harassment seminars are mandatory in the workplace because people grow up with an ongoing problem of being unable to confront certain situations. I work in a hospital for a living and one their favorite mottos is that preventative care is the best kind of treatment. Your children are better off learning sooner than later.
Posted by dude100 11 months ago
dude100
I suggest that children who are homeschooled should participate in other programs such as sports and music for example.
Posted by dude100 11 months ago
dude100
to stonehe4rt
you make an excellent point about public school although that's entirely subject to the area you live in, nevertheless a very good point indeed. I would however like to stress the importance to O_C, of a child being exposed to the outside world there's more than cultural diffusion needed. All children need to reach certain social psychological and physiological milestones which can only be achieved through the exposure to other people/ children. This is a key thing that people need to understand, why do you think that some kids who are homeschooled have difficulty in social situations? It's because those children haven't reached certain social psychological milestones and have in some cases crippled children socially. I'm not saying homeschooling is bad I'm just saying that all parents should keep this in mind before they begin.
Posted by Stonehe4rt 11 months ago
Stonehe4rt
I have to say, from personal experience, Home Schooling is the best thing that has happened to me. I have gone to public schools after being home schooled for a number of years, but I always ended up going back to home school due to boredom with the level of work at school. At the age of 15 I enrolled in College. While the few times I did go to highschool I found the kids there had most likely been mentally held back by the school as the could barely pass elementary level of grammar. Almost all kids had Ds in an easy Math Class, ect.... Public School is not functional at all, as a Primary Source I can attest to that. The only children who succeed in Public School are the ones who teach themselves, because no one else at Public school will teach. Or atleast that is what I have experienced after going to 5 different public schools to this point in my life. Even Einstein was self taught.
Posted by dude100 11 months ago
dude100
I think that home schooling is a great idea because it get's parents actively involved in their children's education, however I also believe that if a child is homeschooled that they must also be required to participate in other outside influences this is the only way to achieve cultural diffusion between different beliefs and thus create a more peaceful atmosphere because people can relate to each other. The United States is a country that was founded upon the idea that people should have the freedom to choose what they believe. Sheltering your child from the outside world is to deny your child that freedom bc the only influence in their life would be their parent. take Utah for example and the polygamous society that lives there because they followed that same concept of keeping their children sheltered from the outside world. I will not place an opinion on polygamy as that is not the debate here but it is a hot topic that many people disagree with so you can see my point.
Posted by Mr.Speaker 11 months ago
Mr.Speaker
"The child is not the mere creature of the State; those who nurture him and direct his destiny have the right, coupled with the high duty, to recognize and prepare him for additional obligations."

- Pierce v. Society of Sisters (U.S. Supreme Court, 1925)
Vote Placed by Stonehe4rt 11 months ago
Stonehe4rt
uma_sO_CTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did not provide any proof of his claims, only his opinion of Parents not having the qualification of teaching. However Pro showed that many children score atleast average compared to others. Both sides agreed that children who have special circumstances may need to stay home, hence Con conceding a part of his debate to Pro. Con had no liable refutations. Pro was much more factual and convincing. Period.