JoshJW
sammlemke

Should parents be allowed to tell their kids what to do?

sammlemke

JoshJW

Con

Should parents be able to tell their kids what to do and when? Like cleaning their room or stopping them from doing certain things.
sammlemke

Pro

Is this even a question? Of course parents need to tell their kids what to do! they are kids. Not adults.
JoshJW

Con

But to me it seems that some parents control their children to much. Some control is a good thing because it helps children be safer but it gets to the point where parents take control of the child's life almost as if the child is a possession.
sammlemke

Pro

First off, what is your definition of "controlling too much?" In my opinion a lot of parents are NOT controlling their kids. There are times when I babysit, a three year old absolutely HAS to have an ipad to go to bed. an IPAD! Otherwise he will cry all night if he doesn't have it or if it is dead. In this case, the child is controlling the parent. Obviously the parent can't just say "no." Now the parent is not controlling the child. If you don't control your child, they won't get discipline. Children are smart. They are smarter than you think. They can find ways to get away with things and can figure out how to get things out of their parents. Children need to learn they can't get everything they want. They have to earn it. Not controlling and giving in to a child only gives them the ability to know that if they "keep crying" they will eventually have their parents give in and give them what they want. It's a psychology thing.

Also, if a child was living in my house, they would be under my rules. When they move out they can do whatever they want. I have no control. The children without control are the ones that usually walk into this world and expect everything they want.

But then again, I would rather have a child listen to me and not be the one trying to control me because I failed to control and discipline them.
JoshJW

Con

JoshJW forfeited this round.
sammlemke

Pro

sammlemke forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by salam.morcos 2 years ago
salam.morcos
JoshJWsammlemkeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both ff, so poor conduct. No sources, and ok language. Con didn't even argue, and pro gave some examples. An easy vote to pro.