Should parents choose their child's religion?

There are no requirements for this, I simply want someone's point of view on this. I want to know the reasons behind it. Please be respectful and look not only at your point of view but mine as well. I thank whoever debates with me, and I wish you good luck.
I am against parents choosing their child's religion. Maybe that's due to how I was brought up. But I feel like if you choose someone's religion that you're restricting their freedom and making them into an image you want them to be. As my father told me, he's still trying to figure out what religion he is. That it takes a lot of your life to figure out what you believe in. Instead of forcing a child into this specific belief per say, letting them be free and choosing on their own seems fair. This is something that for the sake of understanding I would like to know why some do this.

First off I would like to apologize for my lateness in posting my argument. I accepted this at a time where it was inconvenient for me (not a good decision on my part). Nonetheless I have an argument to make.

I believe that parents choose their child's religion on tradition. It is what parents have been doing (arguably) since the beginning of time. Passing on their beliefs, traditions, and customs to their offspring. Many consider this to be a keystone of parenting.

Traditionally, yes, I can see why a parent would do so. Though in my eyes, I believe a child should be given their own will in choosing what they wish to believe. Not having their parents say, "This is you. This is what you believe in."

That is okay. I do not mind that you were a little late in replying. Just no forfeiting on me.

In the early years of a child's development, kids would likely not make a thought out decision on the subject. Kids tend to copy their parents early on, and if they see that they believe in certain things very dearly they will likely do the same. In my opinion it is a somewhat conceptual decision between the child and the caretaker, at least early on. However if the child decides that he/she wants to convert to another religion in late adolescence or adulthood, it is the obligation of the parents to respect that.

Well, I feel as though it isn't morally right for a parent to choose. But even if the child wants to convert to something else, in some cases, the parent is not accepting of that. I'm not saying all parents do this, but I do know that some parents do.

I thank you for giving me a new perspective about this.

I must extend my previous point in saying that children and young adolescents do now have the knowledge to make an informed decision on such matters. Heck, some kids at my middle school converted to paganism, solely because of the Percy Jackson series! As for the argument about parents not accepting a religion change, that's tough, I know from experience. But it could serve as a valuable test, to see if the child is willing to stand up to his/her values and beliefs in the face of adversary.

I thank you also for an excellent discussion, you gave me some new thoughts on this matter. I hope we can do something similar in the future.
Posted by RavenDebater 1 year ago
I accept. Give me a little time to formulas this
Posted by Bolas 1 year ago
Basically I just want your point of view. Like explain to me why some parents might choose their child's religion, rather than let them choose their own.
Posted by RavenDebater 1 year ago
Oh this is an interesting one! Can you provide me with some more details on how you want this to go? I might be interested
Vote Placed by Daniel_Nemes 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con's argument makes more logical sense.
Vote Placed by Paleophyte 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro wins on the unchallenged 'lack of maturity' argument. All other aspects tied.