brendanfmcclelland
Greg4586

Should parents force their kids to go to college?

Greg4586

brendanfmcclelland

Con

I think not because when you reach a certain age then you be free to make your own decisions and college is not for everybody.
Greg4586

Pro

Disclaimer: I am simply arguing this for the sake of roleplaying. I do not claim to truly believe in what I am saying, but am debating for the sake of allowing people to view the debate and hear two sides of the issue.

Let's leave it up to the parents. They have most likely spent their whole lives with these kids and many of them have seen what they are and are not capable of. Many of the kids are going to make the wrong choice, but their parents will be there to stop them.
brendanfmcclelland

Con

Will the child who is uncommitted to college can win against it's parents if it chooses not to go to college.
Greg4586

Pro

I'm afraid I don't understand what Con is trying to say. Therefore, I can't respond, but I can explain my own arguments better.

While some kids want the ability to make their own choices, unfortunately many of them aren't ready to make life choices as important as whether or not to go to college. Which is why it should be up to the parents to determine what is best for their kids.

They have more wisdom and knowledge of how the world works, thus are more equipt to make that decision
brendanfmcclelland

Con

The parents do not automatically knows what's best for their kids. They could force them to make a certain decision and chances are it may work for them if they try it. I always stood up to my parents on what decisions to make.
Greg4586

Pro

"The parents do not automatically knows what's best for their kid" Fair enough, but the kids do not automatically know what's best for their future.

And I'm going to argue that the parents are more likely to make the right decision based on having mountains of life experience, further developed brains, a better financial understanding, a better understanding of what a college degree will and won't do.

That is why we must allow parents to make critically important decisions for their kids
brendanfmcclelland

Con

Will once the child has turned 18, he or she is legally an adult now and he or she can make his or hers decisions. So I'd the parents try to force a decision on them, then they should take a stand. That's what I did.
Greg4586

Pro

The law is by no means a determining factor in which someone has the intellect and maturity to decide on important decision. The age of majority is simply set because you have to draw a line somewhere in the law.

However, that doesn't make them any more capable of making decisions than when they were 17 and 11 months old.

That fact still stands that parents have more experience and knowledge to make that decision, so let's let them make it
brendanfmcclelland

Con

We'll see which side, mine or yours, gets more votes.
Greg4586

Pro

I suppose we shall see, and the reason the voters should chose me is that sometimes, while we would prefer our own personal freedom it may not be what will cause the best outcome of our lives. Which is why when we are in a situation which we are likely to choose wrong, having another, who is more experienced chose for us is a good idea.

I would like to remind all voters to vote on the arguments in this debate, not your personal beliefs.
Posted by Greg4586 1 year ago
Greg4586
For the future, please make the character limit a little longer
Vote Placed by Hoppi 1 year ago
Hoppi
brendanfmcclellandGreg4586Tied
Reasons for voting decision: S&G against Con because his meaning was unclear in places, especially round 2. Also, the overall framing of the debate was unclear, especially what was meant by force since, as he pointed out himself, parents can't actually force their children to go to college. Arguments were just bare assertions from both sides. Pro was more coherent, but was arguing a more difficult position. Con's argument that adults should have freedom to decide for themselves was never really addressed by Pro. He argued that parents know better than children, but conceded that they are also fallible decision makers. Con, in turn, seemed to accept that parents tend to make better decisions, but didn't explain why they shouldn't try to influence their children for the better, so arguments tied.