Meredith22
Pest

Should parents force their views and religious beliefs onto their children?

Pest has forfeited round #2.

Meredith22

Con

No. If a parent does this it will hurt their relationship with their child, if they are forcing them into a religion it will push that child away from that religion and also it is not a parents job to decide what their child does or doesn't believe. Thoughts and believes are a personal thing and when a parent forces their child to think a certain thing or believe in a certain religion or have certain opinions on that religion then it becomes frustrating for both the child who has to deal with this view and thought process they don't share being shoved down their throats and it is frustrating for the parents because as the child grows it will become more and more impossible for the parent to have an impact on their kid's lives because there will be a wall between the two of them that can take a really long time to tear down.
Pest

Pro

I'm accepting this debate but first let me say that I think you worded the debate title unfairly. Using strong words such as 'force' automatically makes any spectators that may be observing, bias to your side of the argument as it's such a pushy and unfair word that most people associate with being bad when used in the context that you used it in.

I'd like to debate this topic from the stance of I am pro; parents sharing their religious views and beliefs with their children, even if it so means "forcing" them to wake up every Sunday morning for Church, or if it means having the child say prayers before bed; as a couple for instances.

Yes, I'd agree that's completely fine and for good reason. Your argument trails off into this incoherent rambling of a bunch of circumstantial 'what if's?' It's all opinion, no fact.

I, for one do not share my parents/families religious views although those views were shared with me as I was growing up. I'm sure many people all around the world could say the same and all the same, we have perfectly fine relationships with our parents.

You can't know every child who is "forced" into abiding by their parents religious faculties are going to turn out like Ed Gein. That also depends on genetics, other environmental factors, so on and so forth but definitely not strictly just because parents shoved Sunday school down their kids throats.

The main reason I'd agree it's alright for parents to teach their children what they will is because... Quite frankly, it's their choice. Why should you or any of us have a say in what parents should relay unto their children? So long as there is no abuse and/or harm, their children are exactly that. THEIR children. Those children's parents aren't going to bash you for not feeding your dog the same thing they feed their dog just because they think what they afford is better than what you do.

Besides, in learning about SOME/ANY type of religion it gives the child perspective on a subject; whether that be for better or worse in your opinion. It allows them more opportunity to make an informed decision later on rather than not having been told anything at all. In order to make their own life choices they need to be able to compare and without the potential option of having known one; they might never stumble unto another or several.
Meredith22

Con

The meaning of the word force according to Collins English Dictionary is "If someone forces something on or upon you, they make you accept or use it when you would prefer not to." Also when I say force a religion on their kids, I am not talking about the tiny traditions like simply bringing your kid to Sunday school or praying before dinner. I am talking about trying to get your kid to live their own lives with a parents beliefs. For example if a person in the Islamic community wants to convert to , say Christianity, the koran orders for that person to be confronted and if they embrace Christianity they are executed. I think it is good to get your kid up to go to church every Sunday to teach them family beliefs wether they are tired or not. But eventually your kid is going to make a choice on wether they except that religion or not. Despite what you say there are many cases of after the child chooses a different path the parents start trying intensely to convert their child back. Some parents can accept this and handle it in a appropriate way not letting their teens choices affect how they think or interact with them, but there is also a significant group of parents who can't look past the fact that their kids don't believe what they believe and the relationship is destroyed or hindered because the parent couldn't accept the different beliefs. A loved one refusing to show their child love because they can't get passed the fact that their child believes what they believe is a completely real scenario. This is a effective way to force a child into a religion or fail and destroy relationships in the process.
Posted by missmedic 2 months ago
missmedic
There is no need to force them when you can intimidate and scare them with the lies of religion. You know what I mean, believe or burn.
Posted by Bitch_Goddess 2 months ago
Bitch_Goddess
I'd have to agree with Con here. I have friends in college whos relationships have been very shaky or, rather, destroyed with their parents because of religion. In an example, a very close friend of mine who happens to be an atheist was growing up with a very conservative Mormon family. He told them when he didn't really believe in God and they ended up sending him to their Bishop, where he spent every Sunday talking about why he didn't believe in God, and the Bishop trying to change/convert him. The reason I know this is because I grew up with the same ideology from my parents until I was 9. They basically ended up disowning him because he didn't agree with their specific beliefs. He no longer gets support from either of his parents but from his oldest sister. All because he has never believed in a God.

Forcing a religion on a child can be detrimental to the relationship between the three as the child gets older. Forcing them to believe in the same things as them is, plain and simple, not allowing them to the idea of freedom of thought. And that in and of itself is disgusting. No one should be allowed to force a child to conform to their personal religious beliefs; not even parents.
Posted by fightmernirllolz 2 months ago
fightmernirllolz
pest fight me right now you ignorant piece of crap Lolz
Posted by fightmernirllolz 2 months ago
fightmernirllolz
Posted by fightmernirllolz 2 months ago
fightmernirllolz
Posted by fightmernirllolz 2 months ago
fightmernirllolz
Posted by fightmernirllolz 2 months ago
fightmernirllolz
Posted by fightmernirllolz 2 months ago
fightmernirllolz
pest fight me right now you ignorant cunt Lolz