kimnlj2
jon1405

Should parents let children under 13 have a Facebook account?

kimnlj2

Pro

I am a parent of a 10 year old son and I believe with proper supervision children under the age for 13 should be allowed to have a Facebook account. I ONLY have my sons Facebook password and I ONLY accept or decline friend requests. Also, my son uses Facebook to play games and keep in touch with family outside of the area. This also gives him a chance to communicate with pre approved friends that are on his sport teams.
I believe making a big deal out of things that are in everyday society makes kids want to do it more, and in turn makes them want to be sneaky and do it behind your back. Actually when I let his finally have one, he hardly ever uses, and or goes in spurts on usage.
Leaving the lines of communication open with children and letting them come to you when they are interested in doing something, in turn will be a good thing at the end.
jon1405

Con

I think that parents shouldn't allow their children under the age of 13 have a Facebook account and here's why. A lot of parents don't have the time to supervise what their children are. A lot of children want independence to a certain point and most would not be OK with what Miss Jackson as a parent would do because that would in most "around 13" kids would agree with would rebel if their parents supervised every little detail they do on their Facebook account or any other account. Therefore they will argue over whether their personal "Facebook space is being abused". Including that the internet isn't safe. Their are people who will be able to contact your child without your notice and if he/she wasn't raised aware of the horrors out their of predators who not only can talk children into doing something that would hurt themselves in away, but also an adult. I stand firm in my belief that an under thirteen year old kid should not have a Facebook.
kimnlj2

Pro

Well if Jon was right in his argument that would mean that it isn't safe for anyone under the age of 18 to have a Facebook account because of predators. OR for that fact anyone at all. IF you teach your children to be safe and make good choices, you can hope that they will follow through in all aspects of life including a Facebook account. I as a parent monitor my child's Facebook, being the only one to log him in and out and being able to keep track of his online activities. With independence, comes trust and until that trust is broken I trust my 10 year old to have a Facebook, until he does something that would make me rethink my stance.
jon1405

Con

True its really not safe for anyone not even for adults because their are people out to get you and others. You have to be safe. Why would anyone want to have to be logged in and out of their own account? Would anybody or would you rather just not have a Facebook at all. Think on the big scale miss Jackson, what about all those kids out their under the age of thirteen whose parents haven't properly raised them? Are they to have a Facebook, and have to endure some of the most terrifying things in life that are their to offer to those who have little guidance in their life? please opponent enlighten me.
kimnlj2

Pro

I, as a parent could really care less if I inconvenience my son by having to log him in and out of his Facebook.. I am the parent whether age 0-17 I am in control of making the decisions I think best for my children. So if I think he is responsible enough to play games and chat with friends and family, then that is my choice as a parent. Although this may or my not be the right choice for all 10 year olds, in our house it has been settled that we trust our child until he proves otherwise. We live in a world of social media and Internet, our lives are only going to get more technological for here on out.. This helps our children get ready for the world we live in and are surrounded by everyday.. And as his "friend" on Facebook I am always aware of what he is posting. I also check his messages and friends. This is my debate!
jon1405

Con

Miss Jackson i dont think you understood what my arguement was. I was talking about families who didnt have the guidance your son may have. So you cant argue that because your son has the ability and guidance , that all kids under 13 should have a facebook. Its irrelevant to argue that the internet is safe but i understand the trust until proven untrustworthy. What this debate was about was whether 13 year olds in general should have a facebook. Your son has that ability to have your guidance making him worthy but not every - especialy ten year olds have the guidance needed for safe facebooking therefore you cannot argue that just because your son maybe able to doesnt mean the larger 13 and under kids have that guidance. The age of having a facebook if it was best in all cases would probably have to be 13-14 because thats where tv ratings fall in and movie ratings fall under the same content you can find on facebook at the minimum.
Posted by consig 4 years ago
consig
The pro won this debate, the con had better language usage and punctuation. Tie.
Posted by Noradrenergic 4 years ago
Noradrenergic
there*, too early in morning.
Posted by Noradrenergic 4 years ago
Noradrenergic
I'm 24 and I don't think that I should have a facebook account. Wouldn't let me son on their personally, must be very time consuming maintaining adequate supervision, and hard to achieve. On the other hand, I bet all the other kids have it, and you'll be the 'bad parent' if you object.