Should parkour/freerunning be taught as an elective in high schools?

I believe that high school students should have the opportunity to take an elective class to learn parkour and freerunning. For anyone who doesn't know what parkour and freerunning are, here are their respective descriptions according to Wikipedia:

"Parkour is a holistic training discipline using movement that developed from military obstacle course training. Practitioners aim to get from A to B in the most efficient way possible.They do this using only their bodies and their surroundings to propel themselves; furthermore, they try to maintain as much momentum as is possible in a safe manner. Parkour can include obstacle courses, running, climbing, swinging, vaulting, jumping, rolling, quadrupedal movement, and the like, depending on what movement is deemed most suitable for the given situation."

"Freerunning (or free running) is the art of expressing oneself in his or her environment without limitation of movement. It is a martial discipline founded by S"bastien Foucan, who wrote a book on the subject. Foucan started what he termed "freerunning" in 2003, which he developed as a more inclusive form of parkour, but having more acrobatic-like movements added."

Students should be able to learn parkour and freerunning because the positive philosophy would potentially increase self-esteem, encourage overcoming fears, and have other positive effects on emotional health, and the students would have a fun way to stay healthy and fit other than team sports such as football.

Round 1: acceptance only.
Round 2: arguments.
Round 3: rebuttals. No new arguments please!

I thank Con in advance for accepting this debate.

I thank Pro for creating this debate.

I will wait for round two to express my true feelings towards this topic. I give the best wishes and luck to pro.

The first reason why I believe high school students should be able to take an elective course for parkour and freerunning is the philosophical side of the sport. The philosophy of parkour involves overcoming physical and mental obstacles such as fear or low self-esteem, and the philosophy of freerunning encourages creativity and self-expression through movement. If a student had the opportunity to experience movement arts, he/she may begin to see positive changes in his/her life, and could potentially do better in school, make more friends, become more creative, and have a better outlook on life. Additionally, the parkour community is very close-knit and welcoming. The student would be able to get support and forge friendships with other members of the community.

Secondly, students should be allowed to take a parkour elective class because of the physical aspect of the sport. Parkour is a noncompetitive sport, which may appeal to students who aren't interested in team sports such as football or baseball. It is also a fun way for students to get in shape and stay in shape. It encourages perseverance and safe progression. Parkour also has no rules; it is totally free to experiment with. This may appeal to students who either don't like rules in general or in sports, or think rules in other physical disciplines are too strict or extensive. Finally, parkour would help the student learn their physical limits and body awareness, reducing chance of future injuries.

Many student would probably disagree with my arguements that I am about to make because I have asked 3 of my fellow classmates whether or not we should have Parkour/Freerunning in our schools as an elective. Personally I think it would be really cool but if we think about it its also very dangerous. Now im not sure what aspects of Freerunning you want to be allowed in schools. Maybe just people want to climb over obstacles in gymnasiums or do you mean jumping off high ledges. Apart from all hazards from freerunning it would be very fun but very exhausting. If you think about it if you have PE already included in the weekly timetablemany student would get tired from more excercise during the week.

CA: Going back to Round 1 I don't count Wikipeadia as actual sources. Anyone can go on to wikipedia and edit without a moderator fixing their changes.

CA: You say parkour is a non-competitive sport. I can tell you right now pretty much every sport has some aspect of competitivness in it. Take a look at skateboarding pretty non-comptetive. Wrong we all are battling for a chance to win and same in parkour. We are all trying to be the best at anything. Even video games are competitive. This includes video games such as Castle Crushers, MineCraft, Madden NFL, etc.

CA: Your point regarding body limts and less chance of injuries in the future is bogus. Chances of injuries increase when having a past injuries. I should know this very well as after I broke my ankle skating it broke even more and even just jumoing down a set of stairs on my skateboard could even hurt my ankle alot.

1. I do agree that it would be dangerous. People would need to take it very seriously. However, I think that if there was some sort of waiver it might work.
2. I wasn't exactly thinking the students would be taking major drops, as they would not be experienced enough yet.
3. More exercise is good. Whether or not the student would want to take the course on top of a standard PE class would be up to them.
4. I was only using Wikipedia for general descriptions of parkour and freerunning. It was not part of my actual argument.
5. I still hold that parkour is noncompetitive. The only person the traceur/traceusse is competing against is his/her self. Parkour is about improving yourself and pushing your personal limits, not "winning" or beating someone else.
6. I never said anything about past injuries. Also, if the traceur/traceusse knows that they are not ready (either physically or mentally), then they will know better than to go for it. There is a fine line between pushing one's limits and exceeding them, and if the traceur/traceusse knows what they can and can't do they will push their limits safely and avoid exceeding their limits unsafely.

I would like to thank Con for participating in this debate. It was a good debate and we both raised good points.
Now back to you, Con.

1. I agree parkour isn't a competitive sport outside of competitions but during stuff like parkour competition for ESPN that becomes competitive because they are trying to get 1st place. Definition of Competition - The activity or condition of striving to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others.

I have nothing futher to say and I wish you the best luck in the voting period. I agree it was a good debate one I have had the mose fun with. :)
Posted by RedRum 2 years ago
I was joking
Posted by Themba 2 years ago
How is Pro's source unreliable when the article clearly states general terms.
Posted by T_parkour 2 years ago
Do you do parkour?
Posted by WillRiley 2 years ago
That would be awesome.
Vote Placed by Cold-Mind 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had better arguments, 7 points to balance previous voter.
Vote Placed by TheBunnyAssassin 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Wikipedia is not a reliable source.