cam25aus
Godgirl

Should passing time in middle/high school be expanded?

Godgirl

cam25aus

Pro

With the shortened passing time, students have to take time out of their lunch period or meet with teachers before or after school; not exactly easy when you are riding a bus or if your parents" schedule doesn"t allow for an early or late pick-up time. We need to expand it because people get tardy because of crowded hallways, a lot of people in bathrooms, leaving classrooms late because of teachers, and not getting a pass for being late because of another teacher.

The rules of this debate
Round 1: Argument
Round 2: Argument
Round 3 Rebuttals

Good luck debating!
Godgirl

Con

I accept. I will be arguing that schools should not increase the amount of time between classes. I think that more time for class changes is not the solution to crowded hallways. Other things, like making sure students walk on the right side of the hallway, and perhaps adding a "fast lane", would be a better solution.
One downside of making class change time longer is this: students need to be in class a certain number of hours (which varies depending on where you live), both for legal and academic reasons. Longer passing time could make fitting in all required curriculum difficult, or schools may need to add an hour or two to the end of the school day.
cam25aus

Pro

cam25aus forfeited this round.
Godgirl

Con

1. It Adds Up: Adding, say, 5 minute to your passing time adds up. If you have 7 classes a day, that's 30 minute per day lost. By the end of the school year, you've spent 90 more hours in the hallway than you used to. You'll either lose 90 hours of learning time or you'll be in school 30 more minutes. I don't particularly like either of those options. The other option for me if my school does this is no more choir class. Choir takes place during "Dragon Time" which is 30 minute before lunch for students to meet with teachers, make up missing work, or maybe just read. Choir and Band also practice during Dragon Time. I love Choir and I don't want it taken away because people who walk slowly can't get to class on time.
2.Better Solutions: I think that schools implementing something like Dragon Time would be far more effective than adding 5 minutes here and there. Is anyone really going to meet with their teacher in the 3 extra minute they have from arriving in class early? More likely they'll just use the time to goof off and/or play on their phones and/or socialize. As I said, staying to the right side of the hallway and walking a little faster would also be a good idea.
cam25aus

Pro

cam25aus forfeited this round.
Godgirl

Con

Seeing as my opponent has forfeited, I do not have much to say in this round. I feel that I have addressed all of my points and refuted most of the points made by my opponent in the first round. Please vote con. Thanks !
Vote Placed by U.n 9 months ago
U.n
cam25ausGodgirlTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.