2014koolkid202
nickel531

Should people be able to design their own baby?

nickel531

2014koolkid202

Pro

I think that we should be able to design our own babies becasue their is a mother who had 6 kids, the first 5 died as a newborn but the 6th was good until he was 4 and then he got Lee Syndrom, which now he is stuck in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.
nickel531

Con

I accept the challenge. Good luck to Pro. This should be a fun debate ahead.
2014koolkid202

Pro

There are more newborns dying than if we had the desgin a baby they wouldn't die.
nickel531

Con

Let me first start off by refuting my opponents earlier statements.

For your starting argument, could you please post the source that you found that at. Although I do not doubt it could happen hypothetically, I'm simply curious about the story.

As to your second argument that newborns would not die if we allowed them to be designed. This is a broad over generalization to the subject. To say that if we allowed parents to genetically design their baby, that there would be no infant deaths is a gross overstatement. There are many different risks that a newborn encounters in the early years of their life. Genetic diseases are indeed one such factor, but many other contribute to infant deaths outside of inherited diseases.

The main question that must be asked in this debate is where to draw the line at the idea of "designing" the baby. Much of the controversy stems from the idea that there is no definitive end to where you would stop helping the child overcome a genetic disease and when you are simple genetically enhancing them. Designing does not just cover the elimination of negative traits, such as the genetic diseases you mentioned. It implies the enhancement of the unborn based on what the parents wish for. Traits such as hair color, height, natural metabolism, and many more would be up for genetic engineering based on the parental whims, all of which do not have the slightest effect to the health of the child.

This is the one of the more worrisome aspects of the idea of designer babies. In some aspects, they do allow for genetic diseases to become treatable before they become symptomatic. However, it is that blurred line between treatment for the betterment of health and the outright genetic enhancement that is the worrisome controversy. At what point does one stop? I will freely admit, the idea of bettering our children to be healthier is not a bad one. It is a basic human instinct, to ensure the survival of our children. One of the questions that needs to be answered, however, is at what point do we stop? Do we only allow for genetic diseases, and if so, how would one define such things as predisposition for alcoholism? Do we allow for the full genetic engineering of children, throwing away our wonderful variety we have as a human race? These questions, and more, should be asked in light of this debate.
2014koolkid202

Pro

2014koolkid202 forfeited this round.
nickel531

Con

It seems that my opponent has forfeited the last round. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he merely missed the time frame for his argument. Until he responds, I will respectfully withhold any further arguments until he has had a chance to defend himself.

Cheers,

Vote Con
2014koolkid202

Pro

2014koolkid202 forfeited this round.
nickel531

Con

nickel531 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by tejretics 2 years ago
tejretics
2014koolkid202nickel531Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.