Smileygirl
HermanGomez95

Should people be able to homeschool

HermanGomez95

Smileygirl

Pro

Not every family gets the chance to have their child have the school experience. To me that's ok. But for specific reasons, like their religion or how religious they are, or that they simply don't have enough money. Parents homeschool their children knowing that their education will not be the same as other children. And parents sometimes don't have a choice of wether they are going to homeschool their children or not.
HermanGomez95

Con

Firstly, I"d like to make a side-note that I"m only playing Devil"s Advocate here. This is not my actual stance on homeschooling.
In this debate I will argue 3 points in my attempt to prove why people should not homeschool their children.
1. Homeschooling affects the social development of the student.
2. Homeschooling affects the potential academic development of the student.
3. Homeschooling affects a student"s view of free will.

The first point revolves around the idea that we, as humans, learn to adapt to society through the use of socialization. One of the key factors of socialization is our schooling. At school, we are offered a place to make long-lasting friendships with people who might potentially grow up with us.
With homeschooling, the lack of fellow students prohibits a young child from fully discovering their social ability, which in turn could affect their identity discovery. Using my personal experience at a very small Christian school (roughly 7 people in my class), I can vouch for the delayed social development. In a school with very few people, I not only found it hard to truly connect with any of my fellow students, I also found it difficult in discovering who I was. It wasn"t until the school expanded, creating much larger classrooms, that I realized who I was and found my sort of people. I can only imagine that a homeschooled student has a much harder time at socialization.

The second point relies on the parents and their ability to properly homeschool their students. While accreditation does play a factor into the competence of the parents ability to teach students, a school cannot possibly predict a parents motives for homeschooling their children. If, as you"ve mentioned, the reasons are religious, then the parent may very-well deny a child his/her opportunity to learn about evolution or history, which will affect the student"s college years. Other than that, a student should have the opportunity to study with other students.

The final point revolves around the idea that the student might feel caged or imprisoned in their own house. School, despite being 3 parts work and 1 part fun, is a type of getaway for a young child, and if a parent takes away this freedom, the child might begin to question their views of free will.

Homeschool Companion mentions a few more disadvantages on their site. One of them deals with the wellbeing of the parent stating, "Homeschooling is a full time job, and you have to consider whether you have the time and resources to do it. It may not be financially viable to not be working in order to homeschool your child. When you factor in the cost of homeschool materials and resources it can be a very expensive undertaking."

To conclude my opening arguments, I find that homeschooling, while most certainly not malicious, brings forth questions we must ask regarding the students well-being.

Source: http://www.homeschool-companion.com...
Smileygirl

Pro

Smileygirl forfeited this round.
HermanGomez95

Con

Since my opponent was not able to post any arguments, I'll simply wave this round, awating any response she may have.
Smileygirl

Pro

Smileygirl forfeited this round.
HermanGomez95

Con

Once again my opponent was unable to reply to my arguments, therefore I have no rebuttals to give. My argument rests.
Posted by getscared 2 years ago
getscared
I went to a christian school as well and I had about 10 people in my school absolutely hated it, moved to a public school and i found it extremely difficult to make friends would have hated being home-schooled because who knows what your parents were teaching you, if they aren't qualified teachers than they simply can not teach you up to the sme standard to everyone else who does go to school, you could be one year behind your class or you might not get taught the stuff you need to if you decided to go from home-schooling to university you wouldn't cope.
Posted by KCole 2 years ago
KCole
Of course they should be able to! It is NOT the Governments decision if a child have to attend their school. It's the parent's decision. In fact in the book of Deuteronomy in the Bible, it talks about how it is in fact the PARENTS job to raise and teach the child, not the government.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
SmileygirlHermanGomez95Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Lee001 2 years ago
Lee001
SmileygirlHermanGomez95Tied