Should people believe in thier horoscope?

Started: 10/28/2014 Category: Arts

People can believe in whatever they want so if they believe in their horoscope, why not?

I'd like to say thanks to my opponent for an interesting debate topic. Looking forward to a good debate, hopefully.

First, I would like to address the resolution. While stated as a question, this is how I am understanding the topic.

Resolved: People should believe in their horoscopes.

R1) "People can believe in whatever they want"

True. This is very true. If an individual wants to believe in a Spaghetti Monster or pink unicorns, they definitely have the right to. I'm not sure if this says anything concerning this topic.

R2) "so if they believe in their horoscope, why not?"

This seems to be arguing "People should BE ALLOWED TO believe in whatever they want," not that they should. Apologies for the Caps; was strictly to demonstrate the changes in the resolution.

There was a short first round, so I will begin my arguments now.

P1) Zodiac

The zodiac has existed for several thousand years. Your horoscope, or your sign, is decided on which constellation was behind the sun during your birth. Yet over these several thousand years, these constellations have moved [1].

P2) No proof

There is no proof of Horoscopes being real. With proof, I would be more willing to argue against it.

I would like to remind the voters that the resolution is that people SHOULD believe horoscopes, not be allowed to.

[1] -

"What if people want to believe in spaghetti monsters and unicorns?
-Horoscopes are fun to believe in and it gives people hopes toward the future.
-People has been using the lining of the planets and stars since the Mayan civilization.
-I might not believe in unicorns, flying ponies and spaghetti monsters but who am I to say that they can't. There is no clear law that says in the U.S constitution that you can not have your own belief.
"Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."-( )
The First amendment gives people freedom of speech so if you say something is real because of your belief, no one can MAKE you say its not.

I reiterate my statement. The resolution is that people SHOULD, not they CAN. Capitalization solely for understanding, not to be rude. I accept that there is no law prohibiting this, nor is there a reason that an individual can't believe what they want to.

My arguments still stand. I am arguing that individuals shouldn't put their faith in horoscopes because they aren't true, or at least there hasn't been any proof of them being true. Furthermore, my opponent has not stated or given reasons showing that individuals should believe them, only reasons showing that they can believe them.

Cmichelle143 forfeited this round.

Arguments Extended.

Vote Con.