tyrataylor
godgirl04

Should people go through a strict background check & a pyschological & physical test to own a gun?

tyrataylor

Pro

I have a senior project and we have to have a topic where people can debate on it. I need to know why you agree/disagree and how it can effect society. Please help me :)
godgirl04

Con

I will stand on the con side of today's debate, for two main contentions:
1) Violation of Rights
2) Importance of Protection

Contention 1: Violation of Rights
Our second amendment states specifically that we have "The right to bear arms." So for them to take those rights away from us due to a psychological disorder will violate the rights that our amendment has granted us. It is important to understand that many laws are already enforced when it comes to gun regulation. According to smartgunlaws.org the minimum waiting time for guns is 48 hours, and the wait could potentially be up to 10 days. These laws were enforced to try to stop the quick reaction to go and buy a gun and injure someone. If someone becomes angry with a parent, friend, or anyone for that matter, and they decide they want to go and buy a gun to kill or injure this person, the law is put in place in order to make this person wait, therefore hoping they would make a rational decision and not kill or injure someone.

Contention 2: Importance of Protection
It is important to allow all citizens above the legal age to carry a gun, for protection. Often we hear about people getting jumped or being robbed. But we must wonder, if they knew the person they were about to rob had a gun on them, would it began to make them second guess their decision. Now we will never really know the answer to that but we must think about this. Also so often women get taken advantage of because they are seen as "the weaker sex". Also it is important to allow people to be able to protect themselves in the way they feel they need to. You don't see the United States is trying to ban people from carrying pocket knives, and although yes guns could do more damage, they both still could potentially harm someone. So why are we trying to stop people from trying to protect themselves, and taking their rights away that they have been given since the beginning.

It's for those reason I can only see a con vote in today's debate.
tyrataylor

Pro

tyrataylor forfeited this round.
godgirl04

Con

My opponent has forfeited, therefore my arguments stand for this round. And I will wait for him to rebut.
tyrataylor

Pro

tyrataylor forfeited this round.
godgirl04

Con

Well once again my opponent has failed to respond to the arguments I presented during my first argumentation, therefore obviously it seems that he doesn't have valid arguments against mine. Therefore my arguments stand. Now I would like to present my arguments again.

1) Violation of Rights
2) Importance of Protection

Contention 1: Violation of Rights

Contention 2: Importance of Protection

tyrataylor

Pro

tyrataylor forfeited this round.
godgirl04

Con

godgirl04 forfeited this round.
tyrataylor

Pro

tyrataylor forfeited this round.
godgirl04

Con

godgirl04 forfeited this round.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Who will interpret the test?There are psychiatrists who believe that if you are a Christian, then you have a mental defect. Or any religion. What if those bozo's get into government? A background check is sufficient.

Democrats would like nothing better than add one more thing to limit our right to protect ourselves from them.